Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Harper Woods » Archive through October 09, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3469
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hey, I'm back. Nice to see you all.

Where did you go?

Eec
Username: Eec

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was briefly banned.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3470
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Banned? For what?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1928
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are currently waiting on a buyer to clear financing, the banks are all paranoid as hell right now. But when that clears, Ill let you guys know how the inspection rules are for when you sell your house. I have the list from the city, but i have a feeling the actual inspection is a little fussier. Anybody sell and move out of HWs > ? Im curious what this entails. I know the buyer inspection is different than the city inspection.

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I had B-dry come out & they will be doing the work on my basement. I'm just glad to get it handled.

Selling in HW?? Mauser - I'm glad youve got a buyer, how long did you have your place on the market?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9813
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What exactly is B-dry doing?
My foundation is limestone and I get a bit of water (just a very small amount)if it rains really hard. But in one corner I have mold as well.
Bleach in a spray bottle usually does the trick but you have to scrub it away and dry it. I then spray Stop Mold on it to keep the mold from coming back. It lasts for a bit but the mold eventually re-appears.
I don't want to have to dig around my foundation as it would be very difficult with my gazebo being so close to the house. The inside of the basement has had a bit of parging but it is now blistering off of the limestone.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1930
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had it listed on and off during various phases of fixing it up. Taking a calculated loss on things that were not finished - so its been about a year and a half. About 9 months in the last phase that we listed it in. We were in a hurry to sell for various reasons.

Buyer still aint through the bank BS, so I just dont know if this is it yet. We had another buyer who fell through earlier.

Gazebo ? Sounds like you guys got a nice place.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW - see there - Danny has some rock solid info. Hes been on this board to long to dismiss everything he has to say. Im pretty sure hes fluent in Latin too, which is much more than I can say for 99.99% of people I know.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How you doin' today Mauser, getting everything squared away?

What is with this "we" stuff, I thought you were runnin' solo?

Applesauce

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B-dry does what was described above. They dig a trench next to the basement wall inside your basement 12in deep & 12in wide. They drill holes in the block to "let the water come" & seeps into a pvc pipe that is tapped into your basement drain. They cover up the trench with cement & youre good to go.

As for the mold issue: youve got to eliminate the moisture prob 1st, then get yourself a dehumidifier & run it constantly, got to have the humidity in your basement below 40%. Then eradicate the mold & it should not come back.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I thought you were runnin' solo"

-K, heres a little lesson on tenses Fudgie; "going through" = hasnt been completed but is in process. "went through" = has been completed, process complete. "going to go through" = process not started, therefore process not complete.

Slow down and reread all the tracking materials.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9819
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Applesauce, thanks.
Mauser, yeah it's o.k. Still work to be done but with an old house you never really finish it. As soon as it is complete you have to go back where you started because now that is too old. :-)

Billyg
Username: Billyg

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really hope this city can turn around. I wonder if there is a neighborhood watch program in the city yet. Its a nice city it just needs to fix some problems before they get out of hand.

Applesauce

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I hope it turns around too. However, thats what they said about Detroit...

By the by, anyone selling in HW right now? If so, how's it going, how long on market, & how bad of a hit in price did you take if any?

Jluke
Username: Jluke

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curious about houses selling in HW also. I moved 12 years ago to Livonia but need to move back to my house on Anita for 2 years and sell it (2 years is to avoid a large tax bill).

I see sale signs everywhere and it can't be good. Is there an average time on the market and how low below appraisals are the homes selling?

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's great to hear all of this talk about Harper Woods and Danbury Lane. I grew up at 20569 Danbury (The picture that Mauser765 took of the picket fence- post #1792).

I spent many days at your current house, Meaghansdad, when I was a kid; my best friend lived there. I really miss Danbury sometimes- there used to be over a 100 kids on the block, and everyone would get together for block parties, ice cream socials, halloween parties... Danbury had the feeling of a small community instead of a street.

Meaghansdad and Mauser- If I can be of any assistance in answering any questions about Danbury or that area, I lived there for about 25 years. (70s-90s) Are there still a lot of kids on the street? Is it still a close-knit community?

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 187
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Postbop - Where did you move to?

Postbop

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not too far- After living in Detroit and Hamtramck, I moved back to Harper Woods (hard to get off the east side). I'm living on Roscommon now. Why do you ask?

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 188
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious since most folks that move from around here move further away. I have been in SCS my whole life and it seems all my old neighbors have moved out of state or way way way north Macomb county.

Applesauce

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of us cant get away from the Eastside. I moved out to A2 for awhile, got tired of A2 fast & bought a home in SCS on Rosedale, then sold & bought in HW mostly for the schools (GP). I'd like to sell & move to GPF/GPW if the market ever recovers. Still love the Eastside.

Postbop

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The east side...It's an incestuous, but comfortable relationship :-)

Applesauce

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I wouldnt say that..........

Jluke
Username: Jluke

Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Postbop, recall the Dargay family on Danbury Lane? They were a strange group.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 388
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a house on Lochmoor a couple blocks west of I-94 in the late '60's...HW was a great middle class suburb in those days...the one problem I remember was the sewers backing up into our basement when there was a super heavy rain...it was depressing to see sewage floating a foot deep in your basement.

Postbop

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dargays? Can't say I knew them.

Applesauce

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's new in HW Real Estate? Anyone having any luck? I pulled mine off the market last year after about 8 mos of minimal action.

Billyg
Username: Billyg

Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a ton of bank owned house for sale in Harper woods right now. It would be hard to buy a house from a private owner because the bank houses will go for much less.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone know someone in the market for a fixer-upper bungalow?

S. of 8, E. of 94. GP schools. double lot.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.WeBuyUglyHouses.com

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got done with a fixer-upper bungalow. South end of Harper Woods. Put my house up on July 1st, nobody interested in buying, just want Lease to Own option from a few different people.