Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Failed municipal incorporations » Archive through June 23, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 443
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently found this web page featuring some extinct towns and failed communities in Macomb. such as a failed incorporation of Harrison Twp into Harrison Shores or a Trinity Park out of Shelby and Sterling Twps. What are some other extinct towns in the area or failed communities or expansions of cities that never happened around here? I saw a map once of Farmington Twp that had 2 other cities in it besides Farmington I know one was called I believe Quakertown but have never seen them otherwise were those ever actual towns absorbed by Farmington Hills?
http://www.libcoop.net/mountclemens/placename.htm

(Message edited by fareastsider on June 19, 2007)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5663
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you really mean failed, because there are many municipalities (including the likes of Dearborn and Detroit) that annexed or merged with successful towns. I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Won't you take me to Funkytown?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5209
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Extinct post offices?

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a ghost town out on I-96 called Kensington, all thats left is the grave yard. :-)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6082
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The City of Clawson was once called the Village of Pumachug or the corners in 1880. Birmingham was once called Piety Hill. Bloomfield and Bloomfield Hills was once called Bagley's corners in the 1820s. In 1932 folks in Pontiac want to grab all of Bloomfield TWP. but residents rushed to stop Pontiac from annexing their beloved TWP. and they did. Therefore Bloomfield remains a TWP. However Pontiac still have power to annex that city anytime any day and if it did it would be quite big as Detroit, more than 8 miles from north to south.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 in Macomb county were Disco and Waldenburg.I think Macomb Twp. gobbled them up.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 462
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Disco and Waldenburg were never incorporated into villages or cities; they were just names for settlements at corners. For instance there was never a government of Disco. We have such things all over Michigan.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing up in St. Clair County, I remember the "town" of Adair... there was a stop sign along with an old cemetary, corner store, bar, and a feed store all at the corner of St. Clair Highway and Palms Road. Today the area is still alive though not many changes have occurred except that the stop sign is now a stop light.

Professorscott

Post Number: 463
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peters, four miles south of Adair, is even less. There's a church and a former one-room schoolhouse which is now somebody's house.

The Adair Bar has a killer fish-fry every Friday, very popular.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lost towns in Oakland County:
Andersonville, Auburn Heights, Austin Corners, Big Beaver, Brandon Gardens, Bunny Run, Campbells Corner, Charing Cross, Clarenceville, Clintonville, Clyde, Drayton Plains, East Highland, Farmington Acres, Five Points, Four Towns, Glengary, Groveland Corners, Hickory Ridge, Jossman Acres, Lake Orion Heights, Newark, North Farmington, Oak Grove, Oakley Park, Oakwood, Oxbow, Perry Lake Heights, Quakertown, Rose Corners, Rudds Mill, Seven Harbors, Stony Creek, Thomas, Troy Corners, Walters, West Highland, Westacres, Wood Creek Farms, Yates . . . those places are gone . . . absorbed into the surrounding cities and townships.

BUT GINGELLVILLE IS STILL HERE!
www.gingellville.com

Professorscott

Post Number: 464
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None of these were "towns", by the way. I had a really old Michigan map that listed them as "places with no post office". They were, for the most part, names for unincorporated settlements at intersections. They couldn't be "absorbed", really, because they never were anything real to begin with.

It's like neighborhoods in big cities. Rosedale Park does not have, and never had, any kind of separate existence; yet the people who live there say they are from Rosedale Park. It's not like, say, Brooklyn, which was a city unto itself until it was absorbed into Greater New York in the big consolidation back in 1898 or so.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 444
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Places like Adair, Peters, Waldenburg were never town but technicaly called Census Defined Places. They usually were rural crossings that had a post office and a store. I am interested in those that we no longer acknowledge such as Cady at 15/ Moravian. As the area grew the little crossing was not important anymore as the whole area was developed. I was also wondering about cities that tried to annex more land or cities that never were incorporated but tried to as well.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nankin Twp. before Westland - Perrinville too.

Dannaroo

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Macomb County, about a decade or so ago, Richmond officially annexed an area of Lenox Twp that was known as Muttonville (I think this occurred around the same time Richmond annexed a piece of Columbus Twp in St. Clair County).

Growing up, it always seemed to me like Richmond was composed of what was at one time three separate towns. The area along Main Street (M-19) north of Division being one town, the area further south near the grain elevator and the Lincoln dealership another town, and the area near the intersections of Main Street and Gratiot and St. Clair Highway and Gratiot a third town (I believe that this area was probably Muttonville).

Fareastsider

Post Number: 445
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are right Dannaroo the north end was Richmond The south end was Ridgeway and then there was Muttonville. Muttonville was just a Census Defined PLace as opposed to Ridgeway which was its own town. Originally the area was called Beebees Corners. You can find more info on these on the link I left up top

Dannaroo

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interestingly, a release came across my desk about a week ago regarding the impending demise of "Census Defined Places" (CDP's).

I tried finding where I filed it to double check it but no luck... I think it had something to do with the proposed plans the Census Bureau has for doubling the size of block groups (doubling the number of households) and how it will eliminate many of the smaller CDP's that remain across the country (if anybody is that interested, I think that the release was either put out by SEMCOG or the SEMCC). It mentioned that the only remaining CDP in this region that would likely be eliminated by the changes would be Whitmore Lake.

Danny

Post Number: 6084
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clarenceville used to be at Ann Arbor Trail and Merriman Rd. until Nankin Mills became Westland the folks of Clarenceville were being kick out. They move to Livonia in the 1950s but the folks decided to merge with Livonia. However its public school system still survives til this day.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 688
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Union Lake, did it ever exist as a town? Some people think it did. I don't think so. I know people who swear their mailing address said Union Lake, MI. Professorscott?

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge - Union Lake - I think it was a town as well with a post office although I can't be sure. Everyone referred to it as Union Lake when I was growing up and some still do even though it is technically now Commerce Township, which doesn't have a post office either. Walled Lake takes care of it.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me be the first to declare this thread interesting.

Professorscott

Post Number: 465
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Union Lake was a settlement with a post office but it was never incorporated so far as I can tell.

There is no such thing as a "town" in Michigan. Some of Michigan is incorporated into a city or a village; everything else is a township. None of the places we're talking about were townships, though they were all settled areas within townships.

Anchorville has a post office, and Anchorville is just an unincorporated settlement within Ira Township, nothing more. Just for instance.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Historically, a village could incorporate only if it had a post office. If a settlement didn't have a post office it was nothing more than a name. If a village lost its post office it usually lost its incorporated status.

Michigan only has two categories of "sub-county" government: cities and townships. Every square inch of land in Michigan is under the jurisdiction of either a city or a township. A village is a separate level of incorporated government and falls under the jurisdiction of the township(s) in which it is located. It does have some authority over its boundaries, but most everything else is overseen by the township. For instance, Beverly Hills is a village located in Southfield TWP, Wolverine Lake is a village located in Commerce TWP. Grosse Pointe Shores is a village that is located in Grosse Pointe TWP in Wayne County and Lake TWP in Macomb County.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 553
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hardhat,

I concur. Very interesting..keep it coming guys!

Professorscott

Post Number: 467
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hudkina,

Believe it or not, GPS only exists in Wayne County. Lake Township in Macomb County is unincorporated and contains no village. It is bizarrely small and I bet most people, even the very well-read people on this blog, have never heard of it.

Saruthma
Username: Saruthma

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What would the old town of Amy near present-day Auburn Hills have been classified as? Did it go extinct, or just merge into Auburn Heights?

Professorscott

Post Number: 469
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, "Amy" was not a town of any kind, just the name of a settlement. Since it never really existed in any formal way, there was no way for it to pass out of existence.

Professorscott

Post Number: 470
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me posit an example. Suppose I take the intersection near my house, which is in a township, and I decide since I have several neighbors and there is a church just up the road, my intersection should have some sort of identity. Just on our own, we start referring to the neighborhood as Professor Scott's Corner. The name catches on, and we persuade the County Road Commission to put up signs saying "Professor Scott's Corner". Maybe they even reduce the speed limit for us. The Church changes its name to The Professor Scott's Corner Church.

Legally, of course, Professor Scott's Corner does not exist at all. It is just what we are calling the neighborhood around the intersection near my house. It is just a neighborhood in a township. If the township eventually becomes part of a city, we can still refer to the corner neighborhood the way we always have. We might even have enough people living near that corner that the United States Postal Service decides to build a post office and give us our own ZIP code: but we still don't really exist.

That's what Amy and Waldenburg and Adair and all those other places we've been talking about are like. They are just names by which people have referred to unincorporated places where people live, or used to live.

As opposed to that: Cities and villages in Michigan are in fact a form of corporation. They have a legal, separate existence. You can sue the City of Royal Oak or the Village of Grosse Pointe Shores, because those things exist. You can't, and never could, sue Waldenburg.

Bohemianrobot
Username: Bohemianrobot

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East Ann Arbor, centered at Packard and Platt roads, existed until the mid 1950's when it was annexed by Ann Arbor.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointe Shores village exists in both Wayne and Macomb Counties.

A quick check of the GPS Village web site shows that it exists in both.
Property tax roll information--
http://www.grossepointeshores.org/html/taxroll.html#

Voting information--
Grosse Pointe Shores voters vote at the following locations:
Grosse Pointe Township (Wayne County) residents: Grosse Pointe Shores Municipal Building, 795 Lake Shore Road.
Lake Township (Macomb County) residents: Edsel & Eleanor Ford House - Gate House, 1100 Lake Shore Road.
Voting Poll Hours for all Elections: 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
http://www.grossepointeshores.org/html/clerk.html

And even a map courtesy of CGI--

GPS-Mac

Villages are able to be incorporated and have certain abilities under Michigan law. For example, villages are legally able to own roads. Townships are not able to own public roads.

However, certain municipal functions are carried out by the parent township, which is why Lake Twp still exists, even though its boundaries match those of the village.

Sometimes these things throw me for a loop. I was surprised to find out that Oscoda in the northern LP is not incorporated (but it is a census designated place). The same for Temperance in Bedford Twp in Monroe County. It, too, is a census designated place. And, I'm pretty sure Temperance has its own exit marker on I-75.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 447
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Anchorville and its post office it is really wierd here in Ira Twp. Anchorville zip is only for people who have a PO box there and that is it. The rest of Ira is 48023 which falls under Fair Haven. So people in the nearby trailer park all say they are in Fair Haven though they are closer to Anchorville by 2.5 miles!. The new Anchor Bay High school is even further it is 1/4 mile from the New Baltimore city limit and NB is the center of the Anchor Bay School area but the school which is in Ira is labeled as Fair Haven because of the Post Office and Anchorville and Fair Haven are both unincorporated crossings. Though when I was in Chesterfield we were 2 miles from New Baltimore city limits but we were addressed to New Baltimore. Since Chesterfield has grown more of the mail there will now say Chesterfield. (used to be West of 94 was Mt. Clemens and east of 94 was New Baltimore) Now since Chesterfield is more than a rural Twp it is now addressed to more and more. Anyways I have noticed since being new to Ira that almost nobody says they are from Ira they all say Fair Haven. WHich to be fair is centraly located in the Twp. I live about 1/4 mile from the intersection which is Anchorville and have long felt it went unacknowledged and soon learned by as when I filled out info for Anchorville it only confused companies as it Anchorville has a 48004 zip for its PO box holders, So I just label myself as Ira Twp. I find it to annoying to label myself as Fair HAven when I am 1/4 mile from New Baltimore(different county though) and 1/4 mile from Anchorville.
Also I suppose to be tied to this thread has anyone noticed how New Baltimore east of County Line is in Macomb Co. Back in 79 I beleive since those residents in the Saint Clair part of New Baltimore wanted a more fair or better tax though they were in the city they voted to be annexed into Macomb. I have heard the the GPs and Harper Woods wanted to try that some years ago as they feel to much of their money goes to Detroit and that they are isolated from the rest of Wayne Co and feel they had more economic and social ties to MAcomb Co today.
This stuff is very hard to describe to people when refering to "towns" that technicaly dont exist. Such as Anchorville which is just a known crossing but is just Ira Twp. I enjoy the Lake Twp description above....it really confuses people when I try and explain it myself.

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For kicks, and to escape the children, I check out these non-towns over in my area. Even though these were not official, they are damn interesting. I refer to them as hamlets.

Ann Arbor Trail at Telegraph (Gulley) was Wallaceville.
Off of Warren, between Merriman and Wayne was Perrinsville.
Ann Arbor Trail at Farmington was Pike's Peak, where Nankin Mills is.
Ann Arbor Trail at Newburg was Newburg.
Where Southeastern Highway and Fordson Highway cross, just north of Plymouth, I believe was Norton. I would like more information on this area if anybody has it.

There are a ton nearby that were either hamlets or simply post office names along the railroad. Stark, Beech, Elm, Oak, to name a few.

Loving this thread.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4640
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Ro_resident!

I assume something of the same nature exists for Northville, which has land in both Wayne and Oakland Counties.

Would it be possible I wonder for Detroit to annex Royal Oak Township across 8 Mile Rd. from it?

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 531
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While somewhat outside of the metro area, a while back i was looking at the subdivision plats of Grand Blanc, where I grew up. One from 1838 was listed as the 'Village of Grand Blanc', with West Road, Centre Street, and Saginaw Road. This confused me at first, because the intersection did not look familiar, particularly with these street names (there is still a Center Road, but it ends at Saginaw, and does not cross it as it did in this map). After a while, i remembered that what is now Dort Highway, at one point to the north veers at an angle while the street that continues is Western. This led to the realization that 'Centre Street' in this map is what is now Hill Road, and 'West Street' is now Dort Highway. This area later became known as 'Gibsonville' and eventually as 'Whigville', an unincorporated area in Grand Blanc Township. Back when the railroad was coming through, Gibson fought it, so they went through what is now the city, who welcomed the railroad. Now the name Whigville is virtually unknown, except for the party store that still bears the name. There were signs marking the area, although i'm not sure if they are still there. I did find it unusual that it was called the village of GB, i have never seen it called that anywhere else.

Another plat, this one from 1854 showed the 'Village of Grand Blanc Center', with Saginaw st, Church St, and another Centre Street. I recognized this quicker, as being the center of what is now the City of Grand Blanc, and what is referred to as Centre Street is now Grand Blanc Road.

What was real interesting is that the current Center road is approximately halfway between these two points, and all three of these intersect with Saginaw Street and two even intersect each other. How confusing would that have been, to have 3 different roads with the same name, within about 2 miles of each other? of course, they may not have all had the name at the same time, and travel was not what it is today, so it probably wasn't nearly the issue, but it still strikes me as odd.

For anyone interested in it, the state subdivision plat search is available at http://www.cis.state.mi.us/pla tmaps/sr_subs.asp
I recommend the Advanced Search, but you will want to know the township and range (ie, 06N 07E for Grand Blanc Twp) and it may help to know the section too to narrow it down further.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok-the WRIF radio station is located in RO Twp., to the best of my knowledge, and I believe they have a Detroit, MI mailing address. I have a friend who told me she grew up in Detroit, but when I asked her where, I think she said 8 1/2 mile and something-I think Wyoming. My first question is, did RO Twp. exist in the sixties-was that actually Detroit then? And was my statement that RO Twp. has a Detroit mailing addy. correct?

Dustin89

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gingellgirl: I live in Perry Lake Heights; it's just a rural neighborhood. A man died in our neighborhood about a year ago, and I walked over to his house when they were having the estate sale; the Perry Lake Heights sign was in his barn. I should have picked it up and put it back where it belongs, at the entrance to our neighborhood, as it's the only real identification this area has. Many maps still show Perry Lake Heights and Brandon Gardens, although I can't remember which neighborhood is Brandon Gardens. Drayton Plains was just an area of Waterford Twp.; I'm not sure if it ever had defined boundaries. Some businesses in Waterford Twp. still have the title "Drayton Plains..." Auburn Heights was the current 'downtown' Auburn Hills- centered at Auburn Road and Squirrel Road. Auburn Hills is composed of Auburn Heights, and two former townships: Pontiac Township and Avon Township. I believe the city of Pontiac annexed the land the Silverdome is on from Pontiac Township. I find Danny's comment about Pontiac's ability to annex Bloomfield Twp. interesting. The whole Pontiac area is an interesting mix of old townships and small cities-Sylvan Lake to the west of Pontiac and Lake Angelus to its north. Much of Auburn Hills is in the Pontiac school district, and one Pontiac elementary school is actually located in Auburn Hills.

Professorscott

Post Number: 478
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dustin,

Mailing addresses don't have anything to do, necessarily, with corporate boundaries of cities. Royal Oak Township has never been anything but Royal Oak Township.

In general, it is theoretically possible for a city to annex a township or part of a township. Cities are not confined to a single county; for instance, Memphis is partly in Macomb and partly in St. Clair County.

There may be some specific law that prevents Detroit, specifically, from doing it; there are lots of laws in Michigan that only apply to Detroit. But politically, it would be a nonstarter in any case.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 453
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Never existed where RO Twp is or was. The last remnants besides the part just annex to Oak Park and the small part on 8mile was MAdison Heights. Originally RO Twp was all of Town 1 North Range 11 East bounded by 8 Mile to the south Dequindre to the east 14 mile to the north and Greenfield to the West. Today a myriad of towns including RO, Berkley, Ferndale, Hazel Park, Oak PArk, Clawson, Pleasant Ridge, MAdison Heights. Today all that is left is the small part of RO twp. Other small pieces of land from Twps include a cemetary on 13 Mile which is still Southfield Twp as well as a subdivision in Novi which is still Novi Twp.
Detroit has never reached north of 8 mile though rural areas did at one time want to be part of the D. The south part of Warren including at different times the SW corner of the city and the portions south of 10 made a case to be annexed but Detroit did not want those rural boondocks to be part of their city. East Detroit changed its name as a way to entice the city to annex their lands as well I have heard. Im sure that there are other cases with Detroit as well. I also read an article in the Dearborn library from an effort to have Dearborn absorb Allen Park, Melvindale and Lincoln Park....the author said it would make the city resemble Texas in shape!

Professorscott

Post Number: 479
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interestingly, as the original 36 square mile Royal Oak Township was carved into all those cities, there ended up being two noncontiguous areas that never became part of any city. So Royal Oak Township, today, has two parts that don't abut each other. One is at 8 1/2 and Wyoming; the other is around 10 and Greenfield.

Oak Park is, or at least was in the recent past, a "dry" community and didn't allow restaurants to sell alcohol by the glass, so there are very few restaurants in Oak Park. Royal Oak Township has no such restriction, so on Greenfield Road there are restaurants with liquor licenses, put there strategically to serve dry Oak Park.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5684
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The northern section of the township that remained was annexed by Oak Park in 2004. All that remains is the portion along 8 Mile, which I predict won't be long for this world.

Ro_resident

Post Number: 253
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southfield Twp has two unincorporated sections. The one mentioned above at 13 Mile and Southfield. It includes the cemetary and the strip mall with the Borders.

The second sliver is at the corner of Inkster and 14 Mile. It is a ~5 acre triangular strip with a few houses.

Also, the villages of Franklin, Bingham Farms, and Beverly Hills rely on Southfield Twp for some municipal functions.

Ironically, the first municipality to incorporate into a city in Southfield Twp...(wait for it)....

Lathrup Village.

Officially known as the City of Lathrup Village.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 947
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Auburn Hills is composed of Auburn Heights, and two former townships: Pontiac Township and Avon Township.

Wrong.
Auburn Hills was incorporated from Pontiac Township.
Avon Township is now the cities of Rochester and Rochester Hills.

quote:

... rural areas did at one time want to be part of the D. The south part of Warren including at different times the SW corner of the city and the portions south of 10 made a case to be annexed but Detroit did not want those rural boondocks to be part of their city. East Detroit changed its name as a way to entice the city to annex their lands as well I have heard.

Let's take that last claim first. East Detroit was originally the village of Halfway, which incorporated in 1924. A little more than 4 years later, the residents voted to incorporate as the City of East Detroit. They changed their city's name to Eastpointe in 1992 to distance themselves from Detroit. So prior to the City of Detroit reaching Eight Mile Rd., this community had already decided they wanted to govern themselves.

With regards to the southern portion of Warren Township, it had unincorporated communities named "Baseline" (near Eight Mile and Van Dyke), "Van Dyke" (near Nine Mile and Van Dyke) and "Center Line" (near Ten Mile and Van Dyke). Center Line incorporated as a village in 1925 and established a Fire Department and municipal waterworks the following year and became a city in 1936. From 1926 until about 1939 Center Line provided fire protection to these areas of southern Warren Twp., but not water. The residents of Baseline and Van Dyke made several requests to be annexed by Center Line, but they were denied because the city fathers wanted to keep Center Line small and manageable. Around 1939 Warren Twp. formed their own Fire Dept. and eventually incorporated as the City of Warren in 1957. I am not aware of any attempts by the residents of south Warren Twp. to have their community annexed by Detroit. History indicates that their preference was to be annexed from the north and failing that, they eventually incorporated on their own.

(Message edited by Mikeg on June 22, 2007)

Danny

Post Number: 6089
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg,

What about other failed incorporated villages in south Warren area. There could be villages of Van Dyke, Lamphere and FitzGerald. So far they long gone, absorb by Warren but their public schools systems remains.

Dustin89

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg: Here's the quote from Wikipedia:

Pontiac Township and Auburn Heights together became the City of Auburn Hills in 1983.

It was a combination of Pontiac Township AND Auburn Heights, which is Auburn Road & Squirrel Roads. It was my mistake in stating that Auburn Hills also includes the former Avon Township-that's now Rochester Hills. The city of Rochester, which is much smaller and primarily downtown Rochester, has existed much longer and is not composed of the former Avon Township; Rochester Hills and Rochester are separate. Confusing the issue, Rochester Hills (zip code 48309) has a Rochester mailing address. So you were correct in stating that Auburn Hills does not include Avon Twp., but incorrect in saying that Rochester Hills and Rochester are both the former Avon Twp.-that's just Rochester Hills. I have a question: is Bingham Farms solely that cluster of office buildings on Telegraph, or is there more to it?

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bingham Farms is a small community.It runs east of Telegraph south of 14, to about 1/2 mile south of 13 mile. It has a few small streets of Huge homes on acre plus lots and a couple condo complexes.Its next to Franklin and not much different but even smaller.It is an actual community.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 949
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So you were ..... incorrect in saying that Rochester Hills and Rochester are both the former Avon Twp.-that's just Rochester Hills.

I don't want to argue with you, but the facts of the matter are these:

- Avon Township was organized in 1835.
- Rochester incorporated as a village within Avon Township in 1869
- the village of Rochester became the City of Rochester in 1966
- the remainder of Avon Township became the City of Rochester Hills in 1984.

They may have been carved out of Avon Township at different times, but I stand by my statement that what had been Avon Township is now the cities of Rochester and Rochester Hills.

Dustin89

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An interesting, private community in Oakland County is Lake Angelus, which I now believe holds the distinction of being the smallest city in Michigan (it used to be Omer, in northern MI.) Lake Angelus is a gated lakefront city west of Baldwin Road, north and west of Pontiac. I believe it has its own police and fire departments. I remember hearing that this small group of residents paid hefty taxes to finance their own municipality.

Hudkina

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Royal Oak TWP hadn't been carved up into its current myriad of suburbs it would have had a population of 193,440 in 2000. In the 1960's and 70's the population was closer to 300,000.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5690
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What an incredible fall. I didn't realize that the population of the historic township has dropped that much.

Hudkina

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royal Oak itself supposedly peaked at around 90,000 in the mid-1960's. It officially dropped over 30% from 86,238 in 1970 to 60,062 in 2000, and every other city had similar drops. That's what you get when the average household size drops by nearly half.

I don't think the population will drop much lower, and who knows, Royal Oak might show its first population increase since the 1960's as early as 2010.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 460
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a map once of MAcomb County from the 80s and under Shelby Twp it said (Proposed Shelbydale) Shelby was toying the idea about a year ago to become a city I read in a news article. The newspaper a few Sundays ago had a lot of articles on consolidation and the use today of so many townships. Gated communities are only part of the problem, the boundaries in our psyches are much bigger. Think of Royal Oak Twp. once the same place but now people have completely different views about Hazel Park and say Pleasant Ridge.

Ro_resident

Post Number: 255
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not necessarily failed, but Farmington and Farmington Hills are considering merging and reincorporating as the City of Farmington.