Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Forest & Van Dyke » Archive through November 08, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donnie
Great picture, it brings back memories. My sister said her husband ran into the pole in nineteen forty nine or fifty. He totaled a thirty nine Studebaker and wound up with a large scar on his cheek. Do you know who the guy standing by the restaurant is?
Thanks for helping me get in touch with the Schroeders.

Chris

Angel
Username: Angel

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Manistique.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 153
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Bossenbergers? It was on the corner of Kercheval and Meldrum. Bill owned it, he was a lawyer.

Bbq1945
Username: Bbq1945

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this area of Detroit very well. Went to school at Hilger and attended Eastern High for two years. I grew up on Seminole between Forest & Warren. I worked at the Hickory Barbeque on the corner of Forest & Van Dyke with my mother - Irene and the owner Mildred. I knew most of the people in this area and would like to hear from some of them. My brother Bob, sisters Cathy & Joyce moved to St. Clair Shores around 1959.

Bbq1945

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donnie:

I knew your Dad & Uncle Joe pretty well when I was growing up in Detroit. We used to play hand ball on Belle Isle during the summer. I remember the store that your Grandparents had on Gratiot & Rohns (?). I also knew your Mother and her sister.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donnie ... haven't been back to this thread in awhile. Sorry for the delay. I grew up at, you guessed it .. Harper and Nottingham. Just a few blocks away from you.

I went to St. Matthew's at Harper and Whittier, 1974-83.

Donnie
Username: Donnie

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldogven
In the picture is Andy (long Greek last name). He worked at the restaurant till the the early 60's when he retired. Many cars hit that pole because the way it stuck out.
Bbq1945
Gratiot and Rohns is correct. I hear many stories about the Hickory BBQ. That was a great corner. Hard to believe looking at it now.
Harpernottingham
I remember St Matthews well. I myself went to Bishop Gallagher during those years.

Pgn421

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donnie- Bishop Gallagher alumni here. What year did you graduate?

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drive through this area daily. I noticed something interesting on the corners of Forest and Vandyke. Their is some type of peace community project, I think it is called project hope or something. I will take a closer look today and see what it is all about. Kind of like a Heidleberg project of sorts. I noticed that there was some writing and someone wrote "end racism" & "stop world hunger".Check it out if you have time.

Donnie

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421
Class of '84

Pgn421

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donnie- where did you grow up at. what street?

Donnie

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421
Grew up on Manistique, that's one block west of Outer Dr. How bout you. When did you graduate?

Pgn421

Post Number: 168
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donnie. i grew up on Bishop off Mack. Graduated in 74 from BG

Donnie

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, Bishop runs between Outer Dr & Cadieux. I had family on the other side of Outer Dr on Chatsworth just off Mack.

Pgn421

Post Number: 169
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, i have fond memories of the old hood. Now in in Harper Woods on Woodmont

Bbq1945

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastern High School - any readers go to Eastern in the early 60's? It was the local public school for people living in the Forest - Van Dyke area although it seemed that most of the people I knew went to Catholic schools. I went to Hilger, then to a very small Lutheran school called Condordia, and 9th & 10th grade at Eastern. It was a real culture shock going from one to the other.

Angel

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donnie
How is your family these days?

Bbq1945

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the (3) grocery stores between Seminole & Maxwell on Forest? One was owned by Tony and we called it Tony Suponi's - maybe his last name! Ernie's barbershop was across the street. A small hamburger restaurant was also there owned by an Armenian lady - don't remember her name but she was very nice. It was a local hangout for kids in the late 1950's.

Angel

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donnie, are you still checking this board?
How are you and you're family doing?

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Louie's on the corner of Maxwell and Forest and another grocery store in the middle of the block, along with a creamery.

Bbq1945

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dorothy:

Did you grow up in that area? What years? I remember this about that block: a drug store on the corner, the creamery in back, Habit's grocery store, Tony's grocery store, and Louie's on the corner.

Dorothyd

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbq1945:

I went to Hilger K-6 and then to Barbour for 7th and 8th grade. We moved off of Maxwell in 1960 and I went to Columbus for 9th grade and then Denby High, graduating in 1964. I keep in touch with a lot of friends from Maxwell and have been picking their brains for things I don't remember too well. But I do remember running up to Louie's for bread, etc., and to Banner Supermarket on Gratiot. We kids used to spend Saturdays at the Dawn Theater on Gratiot and as previously posted, the Eagle Dairy for ice cream and Rose's Drugs for advice from Mr. Rose.

Bbq1945

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dorothy:

We went to Hilger together. We moved out of Detroit in 1959. I graduated from Lakeview in St. Clair Shores. You probably know my sister Joyce Somborovich. Yes, we went to see Mr. Rose too! I worked at the Hickory Barbeque and so did my mother - Irene. We lived at 4810 Seminole and I knew everyone on that street. What was your address on Maxwell?

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Uncle owned the Standard station at Forest and Gratiot, right before Forest runs into the Blvd. The triangular lot is still there and vacant.

Dorothyd

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbq1945:

4803. I remember a Donna Wall from school. I think she lived on Seminole. I went to school with a Joyce Denault (sp?).

Bongman:

I don't remember the Standard station at Forest and Gratiot, but remember the one at the corner of Forest and Maxwell. I also remember Wurms Bowling.

Bbq1945

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you live on the corner of Maxwell & Willard? Or the 2nd house? I remember 3 girls and you must be one of them.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421; Was Bill Bossenberger related to John Bossenberger? I ate lunch at the Knock-Knock Club late 60's early 70's.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DorothyD; When you went to Denby did you know a Betty Kumaus? I went to college with her for a couple of terms at Highland Park Comm. College.

Pgn421

Post Number: 192
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stinger- Im sorry, John owned it. I went to school with his son Bill. How about Schulties? Marge, did you ever go there? Baldwin and Forest.

Dorothyd

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbq1945: I lived on the corner of Maxwell and Willard. There were several of we girls who hung around together, Donna next door, Kathy the next house, another Donna and Mary Ann both lived across the street - Willard ran right into their front yards.

Stinger: I don't recognize Betty's name.