Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Work @ the Book Cadillac » Archive through November 04, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1916
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you call up the Detroit News, won't they give you it for a reasonably small cost? http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071013/U PDATE/710130413

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1917
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worth a shot at least. I should think that the News would do it if they can get their photo credited in a magazine.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 253
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of photos, does anyone have any updated pics of the work? The soonest I'll be able to head downtown and take some myself is December.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 852
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took a tour of the Book Cadillac last night, Thurs. It was about 1 1/2 hours long and really professionally done. The tour was given by Marous Bros. They stated the progress is on schedule and close to on budget, withen 3%.
They plan on wrapping up construction on July 31, and the hotel to be opened in Oct 2008.
The tour started next door at the offices were we saw some pics and a mocked up hotel room. Then we took the outside elevator to the roof, the view was great. Then it was into the top penthouse which is 3 stories, they actually demo'd the top 3 stories and rebuilt it. The owner payed 1.2 mill for that space, and they jokingly mentioned it cost 2 mill to rebuild.
We walked down the stairs viewing in detail about 7 different floors. The biggest challenge was to build around all the beams when constructing the hotel rooms. Also the original hotel rooms were small and 2 rooms were converted into 1.
We toured a club on the mid level and also got to see the Grand ballroom and the Italian Gardens. They are supposed to be 80% of the original detail when finished. The Italian Gardens required extensive work due to the Sheraton putting in a 2nd level in the room years ago.
One level was dedicated to heating, cooling, air handling, electric and plumbing.
We also got a tour of the new 3 story structure which still is in the framing stage. It will include a "modern" ball room, a kitchen, work out areas and a pool.
The tour ended with the lobby and first floor.
They are going to have a Starbucks, 3 bars, two Restaurants and first floor retail on the street.
I have about 100 pics, just have to figure out which ones to post.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 539
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The dead has arisin

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have about 100 pics, just have to figure out which ones to post.

Go to Flickr, and post them all.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1928
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The owner payed 1.2 mill for that space, and they jokingly mentioned it cost 2 mill to rebuild."

That is why there had to other incentives (from market demands alone) for the developer to go through with remodeling this project.

Kenp

Post Number: 854
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul this is true. One of the first things stated by Marous bros was if it was not for all the incentives the project could never happen.
The top three stories were in such bad shape it was cheaper to demo and rebuild then to fix.
As suggested by tetsua I will be posting my pics on Flickr, they will be ready in about 1 hour

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking forward to the fotos, Kenp!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3351
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on, its been an hour! :-)

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1980
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

almost two hours..

Kenp

Post Number: 856
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry for the delay, I have never used flickr before.\
Maybe this will work
http://www.flickr.com/photos/k enp1/

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any idea who the penthouse millionaire is?

Kenp

Post Number: 857
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy is from Atlanta, he plans on using it part time. Sure must be nice to be rich

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great pics! What building is that nextdoor with the tree growing out of the wall?

Burnsie

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building with the tree might be the Lafayette Building, though I didn't look at the photo.

One of the pics shows a corner of the Grand Ballroom with balconies. The two visible in the pic appear to be closed off; hopefully this won't be done to all of the balconies.

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pics, nice photo tour!

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed the closed-off balconies too, but all along one wall.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 452
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, thanks for sharing your pictures, Ken! :-)

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What building is that nextdoor with the tree growing out of the wall?"

No, I don't think that it is. I think that that is the Farwell building. The Farwell is the building in the center of this photo with the trees growing from it: http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=1830659412&size=l

I am pretty sure that this is not the Lafayette: http://www.flickr.com/photos/k enp1/1830500958/ Either that, or the building is in way worse shape than I thought.

Kenp

Post Number: 858
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is a better pic of the tree.
The pic is the back of a building on Shelby, it was taken on Washington

Kenp

Post Number: 859
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also I over heard somebody being upset that all the balconies in the ballroom were going to be closed. Thats just what I heard

Burnsie

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I certainly hope the balconies won't ALL be closed off. Wouldn't the historic tax credits require them to be open? It's not like keeping them open requires any sort of expensive ornamentation to be restored.

Dalangdon
Username: Dalangdon

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might be that current fire codes don't allow for the openings on the balconies. In that case, it would override any historical considerations.

Thanks for all the great pics. Did they mention if the lobby ceiling is going to be restored?

Timeless
Username: Timeless

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome pictures. When is the Griswold expected to be finished? Did they mention what the retail/restaurants might be in either facility?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5638
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dalangdon, they probably could have gotten away with glass doors onto the balcony... maybe.

I too am wondering about that lobby ceiling. It would be a pity if it was just pounded to rubble after surviving against all odds for all these decades.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Video:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/v ideo/brightside_8.html

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 200
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good video.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 974
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Book got some national attention today

Historic hotels get a second chance to serve guests

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- Elaine Hernando planned to stay in one of the Atlanta's big-box hotels, but when she saw The Ellis, she canceled her reservation and booked a room at the renovated historic hotel instead.

On the outside, the 15-floor hotel retains its stately 1913 architecture, complete with a traditional open-air balcony on the second floor that was a must for elegant Southern hotels in the era before air conditioning.

Inside, however, the hotel rooms boast 21st century comforts, including plush beds, flat-screen TVs and even a place to play music from iPods.

"I really like boutique hotels -- we travel a lot for work," said Hernando, a 30-year-old sales representative from Los Angeles, California. "I loved being there -- the windows have a really great view; the iPod dock, that was cool."

Across the country, hoteliers are seeking to breathe new life into older properties.

Detroit's Book-Cadillac Hotel -- built in 1924 -- is being restored to open late next year as the 455-room Westin Book Cadillac Detroit. In its glory years, the hotel hosted Presidents John F. Kennedy and Harry S. Truman, but it stood vacant for more than two decades before the renovations began

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL /10/31/trend.historic.hotels.a p/index.html

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 932
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 4:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"From the last photo of the Griswold site you can see them laying the caissons for its foundation."

Beggars can't be choosers.

Charlottepaul,

What is that statement supposed to mean?