Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Good Old Mackenzie High School » Archive through November 22, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This Veterans Day can anyone remember any of our MHS teachers who served.

The following come to mind.

Mr Wallice Pietella, Math Dept- USN Pearl Harbor Survivor.

Mr John Bennett, English Dept-USN His ship was bombed and sunk in the South Pacific. Mr Bennett was still a USN Reserve Officer when he tauch at MHS

Mr Joseph Choronzy, Resource Dept, USAF Fighter Pilot-Korea. Mr Choronzy was flying as a Mich. Air Guard pilot when he taught at MHS

Sgt James Thompson, ROTC , US Army, P.O.W North Korea. Sgt Thompson was still on active duty and MHS was his last duty before retiring from his Army Career

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birwood--I saw the death notice for Mr. DeFelice too. I don't recall having him, but he seemed like a nice man. I recognized him from the photo right away.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 312
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just checking out the 1975 STAG, saw a picture of Mr. DeFelice. I do remember him from the hallways, quiet and polite; sorry to hear of his passing.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2232
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny thing.....I checked a lot of the old-timers on the Social Security Death Index, and rarely do I find one listed. The reason being that municipal employees do not contribute to SS and therefore never received SS benefits.

One would think, though, that most of them would have had enough side jobs over the years to get their forty quarters in.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 314
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936...Good to see your name here again.
Just wondering if you might scan some STAG yearbook photos for posting?

PS Did you happen to save any DIAL magazines?

(Message edited by chuckjav on November 12, 2007)

Ray1936

Post Number: 2234
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I didn't, sorry to say. Just a couple of clippings in a scrap book when I made the honor roll (a rare event).

Only Stag I have left is my graduation one (June '54). Yeah, I'll dig it up and scan some stuff out of it. Since I have a new scanner I'm itching to try it out anyway!

Chuckjav

Post Number: 316
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ray - that would be awesome!

Ray, I was wondering if you might know why some high schools have ROTC, while others don't?
I work at a high school (in SW Ohio) with 2600 students - no ROTC; only a handful in the area have a program.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2235
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably the same reason some colleges have Senior ROTC and some don't. I was in AF ROTC at Wayne a zillion years back, but they don't have it any more. Darn shame. It's also a great way for a college student to have the government pay for his Junior and Senior years. But I am not the king.

The stated purpose of Junior ROTC on the high school level is to make better citizens by an understanding of the military. It did that for me. Although fate held that I never served in the military, my three years of HS ROTC gave me a thorough understanding of basic military organization, function, and duties.

I also enjoyed it tremendously.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2236
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bad finding, Chuck. When I scan the Stag photos, they break up badly when reduced to the 550x550 requirement on the DY site. Not worth posting. I'll fool around a bit, but it doesn't look good.
(due to the dot matrix printing of the Stag).

Chuckjav

Post Number: 317
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936...Thanks just the same.

Jerseymom
Username: Jerseymom

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what is great about the internet. I left northwest Detroit as an almost 8 year old in the summer of 1965. Last night I was thinking about the old neighborhood, our house, friends, etc. and googled Monnier School (where I went through the 3rd grade). And it brought me here.

I am wondering why Monnier and Mackenzie were closed? I have very fond memories of Detroit, walking to Monnier, swimming on family nights at Mackenzie. We lived on Ilene St., just off of Schoolcraft. I'm sure it is very different now, there were some tough times in Detroit after we left for Ohio. Anyway thanks for the pictures and the memories.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2242
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, thanks for jumping in, Jersymom! Don't be a stranger. From what I've read about back in Detroit, a number of schools (which happened to include Mackenzie and Monnier) were shut down due to declining enrollment. Fiscally necessary.

Yeah, it looks different. On my trip back there last month, it looked generally run down, with a few homes on each block still taking pride in maintenance.

Some years back, Detroit closed down most of the alleys. This made curbside pickup of trash necessary (no big deal, that's done all over now), but Detroiters have a nasty habit of leaving their trash carts right on the front lawn for all time. Jeez, they look ugly sitting in the front yard. Can't figure that one out. Mine sits in the garage.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2245
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Chuck, I finally figured out how to shrink those photos without distortion. I think. Let's try this photo of the ROTC officer corps in 1954. I'm middle row on the right.

rotc

Ray1936

Post Number: 2246
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, it works. Found the solution by using Windows Paint and saving after shrinking. More to follow.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 319
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936...Looks really good; your hat has the perfect lean.

Jerseymom...Hello from Chuckjav in Kettering, Ohio.

Jerseymom
Username: Jerseymom

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the welcome, Ray and Chuckjav. I appreciate the pictures posted. Brings back a lot of memories. I spent a lot of time yesterday reading about what is going on in Detroit these days. Looks like things are coming back some and there is so much potential for growth. I've been in NJ/NY for 23 years now (and really like it) but still tell people that I'm from Michigan. It's a great place.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936.....My son and I are avid firearms enthusiasts; owning a variety of long guns and sidearms. Some time ago, you mentioned that the MHS ROTC Cadets employed .22 caliber rifles during target practice at the school.

I was wondering what weapons you have used and if you have any favorites?

Might you have an opinion to share on the .40 caliber handgun?

Ray1936

Post Number: 2251
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides the .22 rifles for marksmanship practice, we also had M-1's (Garands) for drill (the firing pins had been removed), M-1 carbines (ditto), and a couple of Browning Automatic Rifles for study and practice (double ditto!). Those BAR's were heavy suckers at 19 pounds, and whenever I see a WW II film with some GI carrying one I feel for him.

Personally I owned a Marlin 39-A .22 that I used for plinking. Had a range with a bullettrap set up in the basement. Also a Mossberg 12 guage shotgun for the few years I went pheasant hunting. Gave that up when some a-hole road hunter took a shot at me as I came out of a cornfield.

On the DPD, of course, I had my .38 special 4-inch issued, but I carried a .357 Magnum of my own. Also a .38 special 2-inch for off duty. Lots of training with the 12 guage pump shotgun, tear gas gun, and also the old 45 Thompson. Fired that on full automatic at the range a few times and was amazed at the tendency it had to climb. Really had to lean into it.

Never used an automatic. Don't like 'em. Revolvers are extremely safe in comparison. Safety was always #A-1 with me. At home my guns were always securely locked and stored, as I imagine yours are. Always makes me shudder when I hear of a kid getting his pop's gun and having an accident.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2254
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meanwhile, here's another MHS ROTC photo....courtesy of Tom........

Chuckjav

Post Number: 321
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray....Thanks for another outstanding yearbook photograph. All my years at Mackenzie...and I was never in the basement; it looks rather large.
ROTC was still going strong in the mid-1970s - a proud group of cadets, with strong leadership.

Thanks also for the firearms insight. I am hoping to add a revolver to my collection; appreciate the simplicity and readiness of such a weapon.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 324
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Mackenzie Yearbooks....I just scored a copy of the 1966 STAG, on eBay

Another one for the library!

Birwood

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936 & Chuckjav

I spent 3 yrs in MHS ROTC and never regretted it.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2279
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me either, Birwood. In fact, when I later dropped out of WSU (working full time, going to school full time, etc) I intended to enlist in the Army. The weekend before I was to sign the papers I got a registered letter from the C of D saying I had been accepted as a Police Cadet. Life's journey changed in an instant. Anyway, I never did serve in the armed forces, but I would have done so in a heartbeat had I not had the other wonderful career on track.

Mother_earth
Username: Mother_earth

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray 1936..
Did you have a law enforcement career? Just wondering.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2282
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup. That's me.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey ray, where,s ponch&jon?

Birwood

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936 or should I say Motor 7 Oh.

Did you know any of these MTB officers, Fred Hiles or Curt Moore ?

Ray1936

Post Number: 2283
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No idea where Ponch or Jon is now, and no, Birwood, sorry to say Hiles or Moore don't strike a bell. Probably came after I left Motor in '75.

Mother_earth
Username: Mother_earth

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray 1936...Wow what a wonderful picture, I love it. Thanks for sharing. I have always been grateful for law enforcement. It is a very tough job, and getting much tougher, sometimes with very little thanks. My husband was the DA (County Attorney) in Arizona for sixteen years, so the law-enforcement family is very special to me. He is still very involved in issues and does some work for the Attorney General.
Ray have a very blessed Thanksgiving.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2285
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And right back to all of you for the Thanksgiving wishes!