Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » ::: Detroit Schools Mega Thread ::: » Old Catholic Central & Renaissance High School « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 332
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question (or five) regarding old Catholic Central & Renaissance High School.

I know that, after old C.C.H.S. relocated, the building was purchased by DPS and reopened as Renaissance High School.

What I don't know is:

1. to where "new" C.C.H.S. relocated.

2. whether Renaissance High School is still located at the site of "old" C.C.H.S.

Finally.....

If the answer to #2 is "no"; does the building that once housed C.C.H.S./R.H.S. still stand?

Durango
Username: Durango

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav,

Catholic Central moved to Redford in the late seventies. The new building I think is closer to Novi, I am not really sure.

DPS still uses the old Catholic Central Building for educational purposes. I am not sure of the grade level or specific field of study. The new Renaissance Building is located on the lot to the immediate west where the former Sinai Hospital once stood. I attended Renaissance during the mid-eighties in the old building. Hopefully, a more recent graduate, who still lives in Detroit, can provide you a more current update. It's a state of the art building.

RHS 1986

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 269
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav...the new CCHS is in Novi.

The old CCHS building on W. Outer Drive is now the DPS Foreign Language Immersion School.

The new Renaissance HS is also on West Outer Drive, about a quarter mile west of the old CCHS location.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3133
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catholic Central is now off Wixom road near Grand River.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 558
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Redford location (1978-2005, I believe) was just east of Inkster Rd, north of Schoolcraft/the Jeffries service drive.

Dinnc
Username: Dinnc

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The CC in Redford was a middle school @ 14200 breakfast drive. I believe the school has been torn down and the land is prepped for housing. I think the housing market has slowed that down.

I am a '99 graduate and I am sad to see the school move even further from its roots. I understand the need to be closer to its students, but it isn't even in the same county! I asked the alumni director if they still do a lot of volunteer work in the city and he assured me that they still do.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 333
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the information.

One more question.......

I read here that the old C.C.H.S. was on Outer Drive. Just wondering if it was off Hubbell, not too far north of Cooley High School?

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 273
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was on Outer Drive just west of Hubbell. Cooley would be a mile and a half south on Hubbell.

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Catholic Central in Redford (14200 Breakfast Dr.- I'll never forget the address thanks to Fr. Ned) was I believe the third or fourth building they occupied. The new building in Novi is on Wixom Rd. between Grand River and 11 Mile.

CC '04, here.