Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Book-Cadillac / Griswold Garage Grows Taller » Archive through August 11, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 311
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://urbanplanet.org/forums/ lofiversion/index.php/t6587-23 00.html

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a furniture store, and... ?

Michigan & Griswold

A couple of pics of Kinsel Drugs that turned up in searches:

Kinsel Drugs

Kinsel Drugs

All photos from WSU/VMC

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on July 14, 2007)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found that same intersection, from around 1900?:

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 312
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at the ole' Book Cadillac in that last one!

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 948
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KDG,

Thanks much for the updates and the good work!

Keep it coming.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 385
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That building that would be next to 1001 Woodward looked really nice. Especially compared to what's there now.

Also, those buildings where the Coney Islands are, are the same buildings that are there today, just modernized. There was a thread here a while back, and no one could figure out how much is still intact, but they're the same buildings.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 586
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Look at the ole' Book Cadillac in that last one!

also in the first one - i didn't even notice till i had looked at it a few times.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11633
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That is a good question...I remember the BK and Taco Bell that used to be in there.

Wait just a minute, we had a BK AND a Taco Bell downtown? Man, now I know what people mean when they talk about "the good 'ol days." :-(

Scottr

Post Number: 587
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately 7even, KDG already stated that the original was already correct, there never was a rendering of the original shorter, cantilevered version.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 368
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the effort 7even, It doesn't look as bad as I thought it might.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2857
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

No hotel/condo project of that size (400+ rooms, 60+ condos)would be possible without a ramp being included. That goes for pretty much any city that I can think of.

Patently false. Cities with decent transit don't need to provide nearly as much parking. Most large hotels and office buildings in DC, for example, have 2-3 levels of parking. Because of Detroit's failure to implement acceptable transit, developers are forced to build these monstrous and expensive garages ($20,000 or so per space), which makes the economics of the project that much more difficult.

In other words, the lack of transit directly impedes development.

quote:

Besides, guests of the Book Cadillac aren't really the public transportation type anyway.

Utter bullshit. How can you say this when the Book Cadillac isn't even open for business, or when transit isn't even an option in Detroit? This is such an idiotic statement, considering that guests at high-end properties in other cities use transit all the time.

The continued need to provide ridiculous amounts of parking downtown does nothing but prohibit Detroit from ever achieving any kind of critical mass.

Scottr

Post Number: 590
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out of curiosity, and perhaps KDG can answer this, how is the parking ramp designed - with sloping floors or flat ones? The reason i ask, is if in some point in the future, effective mass transit becomes a reality and all that parking is not needed, could some or all of the parking be converted to residential or office space? Such a possibility would make an already attractive compromise that much better - it provides the parking we need now, while leaving options open for the future.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2858
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^From an engineering perspective:

Theoretically, you could sawcut the ramp slabs and remove them. The openings could be infilled with new slab.

Parking garages are typically designed for a live load of 50 psf. Per the International Building Code, minimum design live loads for office buildings are also 50 psf, and 40 psf for residential. You do have to allow for higher design loads for corridors and first floor spaces, though, so some reinforcement of the structure might be required.

Typically, my firm designs office spaces for higher overall live loads (about 80 psf) to permit flexibility of the space, and to allow for storage such as files.

In other words, it's do-able, but you'd have to be careful when making penetrations for plumbing and HVAC chases, because cutting any of the reinforcing would drop you below Code-mandated design loads. If the parking structure is precast concrete (as many of them are), then converting to another use is a non-starter, as nobody in their right mind would make penetrations through the precast.

Hope this helps.

Dalangdon
Username: Dalangdon

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Besides, guests of the Book Cadillac aren't really the public transportation type anyway."

Maybe, maybe not. But what you are forgetting is that luxury hotels (and Westin is at least nominally "luxury") require plenty of employees - usually at least 1.5 per guest room.

Those employees need transit to get them to work. They're not paid enough to drive.

Scottr

Post Number: 600
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan - thanks for the response. Although I don't expect it, I would hope that some consideration could be made for this possibility. However, I suppose I would rather see other parking garages - the ones that are not mixed use - demolished and replaced before one like this was converted, so it may not be an issue at all, since at least some parking would still be required even with the best transit system.

Detroitfan2
Username: Detroitfan2

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone interested (or know someone who might be interested) in purchasing an assignment to own a unit at the Griswold at a discounted price?

If so contact: jewlcapital@gmail.com
Thanks!

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's up with 'The Griswold'? They had a groundbreaking ceremony about 3 weeks ago. Since then, nothing.

Beantown
Username: Beantown

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they are caught in the lull between the demolition company clearing out and the construction company coming in. But the 3-4 weeks that have gone by without any work is surprising...

Scruffy
Username: Scruffy

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were waiting for the parking deck's contractor to be given the go-ahead to start drilling caissons. Expect to see movement in the next week or so.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Hornwrecker's photo set, third from the top, you can definitely see The Brass Rail right next to Kinsel Drugs. I've been looking for a photo to place its location. Thanks.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't go back that far, but it seems to me I've been told that the Brass Rail was on Adams, west of Woodward next to the Fyfe Building. Maybe it moved?

Aaron
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a shot from the 1994 movie Renaissance Man, showing the Taco Bell that's being mourned above.

taco

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's definitely a "Brass Rail" sign in Hornwrecker's 3rd photo, Downtownguy - right above the guy in the flowing overcoat crossing the street. But I, too, remember it on Adams west of Woodward - with the big carved figures in profile, boots on the rail holding tankards of beer on the bar. Maybe this place did move, or was there more than one? An early "chain" watering hole?

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 594
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know there's a "Brass Rail" in downtown Port Huron. Maybe it's coincidence, or maybe it was a chain. Also, an online Yellow Pages search reveals 7 "Brass Rail" bars currently in Michigan.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know there was one up here in Flint as well. Not sure if it was a chain though.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Port Huron Brass Rail was owned by Helen David, an icon known as the first lady of Port Huron who recently passed away. It opened in the 30s. I went in this passed winter to get my first Tom and Jerry's, but unfortunately I turned 21 too late to meet Helen.

http://pseudojournalist.blogsp ot.com/2006/07/rip-helen-david .html

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 874
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DC Dan-
In most cases I normally favor your side of the great debates of this forum, however I do need to point out that even cities with good/great transit build huge amounts of parking.

Example: Trump Tower Chicago.
486 residential condos
286 hotel rooms
1000 parking spaces

I think the unfortunate truth is if any large scale development has a chance at being successful, parking is a huge consideration and requirement. I don't think that is debatable.

Overall, I believe we should all be working to minimize the requirement to use automobiles in our daily lives, but it will always be a necessity.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today the gate was open and they had moved in some equipment, crane etc. I'm guessing if this is constructed of precast concrete, it will rise quite quickly.

Scruffy
Username: Scruffy

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will rise quickly, but there will be a few months of driving very deep caissons, then another delay while they wait for the Pre-cast panels to arrive (probably not before December). Look for it to rock and roll after that.

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 371
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the expected move-in date?