Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Company K of the 1st Michigan Sharpshooters-American Indian Sharpshooters » Archive through December 12, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7253
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought your question deseved its own thread:

quote:

Lieutenant Freeman S. Bowley was fighting for his life in the man-made hellhole that was the Petersburg Crater when he noticed that the former slaves in his company of the 30th United States Colored Troops were not the only men of color wearing Union blue and dodging Confederate Minié balls on the stifling hot morning of July 30, 1864. “Among our troops was a company of Indians, belonging to the 1st Michigan S.S. [Sharpshooters],” recalled Bowley many years later. “They did splendid work, crawling to the very top of the bank, and rising up, they would take a quick and fatal aim, then drop quickly down again.”

More than 20,000 American Indians fought in the Civil War for both the Union and the Confederacy. Probably the best known were the Cherokee soldiers of General Stand Watie, who sided with the South in the Trans-Mississippi West. But the men Bowley saw were mostly Chippewas and Ottawas from Company K of the 1st Michigan Sharpshooters, the largest unit of American Indians serving with the Union armies east of the Mississippi River.

http://www.historynet.com/wars _conflicts/american_civil_war/ 7460182.html?showAll=y&c=y

Jams

Post Number: 7254
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The roster:
http://members.aol.com/roundsk y/company-k.html

Nice find, looks that I've a new bit of history to study. Thanks!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite story about the sharpshooters involved one whose name I can't call to mind this minute but I will be back with it.

It was during the Battle of the Crater, when the Union troops were pinned in the Crater they had blasted as an unsuccessful way of breaching the Confederate wall. Sharpshooters from Company K were trying to create and hold a line for the Union troops to escape the deadly hail of gunfire. This one man jumped up on the embankment and danced, drawing the Confederate fire, and allowing a large number of Union troops to make a break for it. I can see him up there, dancing a good Fast War Dance. As far as I could find out, he survived to be discharged at the end of the war.

N. Scott Momaday did a similar scene in House Made of Dawn.

Battle of the Crater took place at Petersburg, July 30, 1864. I did quite a bit of studying on Company K in the 80s. I'm going to go through tha roster and see if it jogs my errant memory.

Jams

Post Number: 7255
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more thing I found in my quick search;

quote:

1st Michigan Sharpshooters: "These Men Have Seen Hard Service" by Raymond J. Herek. This is the COMPLETE story of the 1st Michigan Sharpshooters. Company K of this regiment was made up of Native Americans - the only Indians to serve in the Army of the Potomac - their story is told here for the first time! From prison guards at Camp Douglas, Chicago, to the battles of The Wilderness, Spotsylvania, and the terrible siege at Petersburg, the men of this regiment "saw hard service". Some won the Congressional Medal of Honor, some led the fight against the Raiders at Andersonville, some survived the Sultana disaster. The book is a thick one - over 560 pages. It costs $40.00 but is well worth the price. Ray Herek is a master storyteller. You can call Wayne State University Press toll free 1-800-978-7323 to order a copy, or ask for it at your local bookstore. It is a new book, first published May 1998. Thanks to Chris Czopek, Lansing's History Detective cbphoto@arq.net for providing this information to me on this book.

Looks as if it will be a good read.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 459
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GAz,
Antoine Scott was nominated twice for the MOH, denied twice and died in 1876 near Pentwater. He's buried in an unmarked grave in Mason County from either syphlis or whiskey poisoning.

During the retreat from the Crater, Scott stood and returned fire allowing the others to escape that death trap.

Gnome

Post Number: 460
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That book is at the Southfield library if you want to take a look at it. It is a good read, but it doesn't focus on Company K but rather the entire regiment.

Also, about 10 - 12 soldiers were among those who died at Andersonville Prison. Their graves are marked, but not singled out or given any special notice.

(Message edited by gnome on December 11, 2007)

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is some info from Grand Traverse Band's October 2007 newsletter:

COMPANY K PRISONERS OF WAR TO BE HONORED BY THE OGITCHEDAW VETERANS
During the Civil War, a group of Anishinaabek men from Northwest Michigan area volunteered to fight for the Union Army. Theese expert marksmen enlisted in Company K of the 1st Michigan Sharpshooters. They were led by Lt. Garrett
Graveraet, an Ojibwa who was teaching at a Government school when the war started. These Anishinaabek soldiers, whose names included Penaiswonquot, Wolf, and Sahgahnahquato fought in some of the fiercest battles of the Civil
War.

Many of these soldiers had the misfortune of being captured. Seven became POWs, Prisoners of War, and were sent to the infamous Andersonville Prison
in Georgia. Over 13,000 prison rs died there of starvation and disease. They are now buried in the prison cemetery in neat rows, and each grave has a stone with a name on it.

Four of the soldiers who died were from Northwest Michigan:
Joseph Gibson (Petoskey),
William Mixinasaw/Mixernasa (Northport),
Jacko Penaiswanquot (Northport)
Peter South (Petoskey).
The Anishinaabek Ogitchedaw Veterans and Warriors Society in Mt. Pleasant are planning a trip to former Andersonville Prison in Georgia in November. These veterans intend to find, visit, and honor the graves of the seven Michigan Anishinaabek buried in the Andersonville
Prison cemetery. e warriors will be honored in a ceremony led by Don Otto, the Weekaun of the Ogitchedaw Veterans. Don is a direct descendant of Marcus Otto who served in Company K. The Ogitchedaw Veterans invite any relatives
of the four local soldiers to travel with them to Georgia. For information on the trip to Andersonville, call the Ogitchidaw Veterans Office in Mt. Pleasant 989.775.4175
Information Wanted on these Michigan Sharpshooters Company K Veterans:
JACKO PENAISWANQUOT – Northport. Died at Andersonville. He was married to Mary Ann Penaiswanquot. She was called “Mrs. Jacko”, and many of her children took the name Jacko or Shako as their last name. There was a son living in Omena in 1925 named John Jacko, aka John Penesewanquot. He had several children.
JOSEPH GIBSON – Petoskey. Died at Andersonville. His parents were Louis & Lilla Na-baw-na-ya-sang
PETER SOUTH – Petoskey. Died at Andersonville. Mother’s name: Lucy Kah-misquah-se-gay
WILLIAM MIXINASAW / aka / MIXERNASA – Northport. Served in Co. K, Died while a POW at Andersonville.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's HIM, Antoine Scott. Thank you!

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scott, Antoine, - Pentwater; Enlisted 4 Jul 1863 at Pentwater as corporal for 3 years, age 22, Mustered 11 Jul 1863. Discharged 28 Jul 1865, Delaney House, D.C. Died at Pentwater, Dec 1878. Twice recommended for Medals of Honor

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 879
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A high-ranking native American in the Civil War:, on U.S Grant's staff (From Wikipedia):

Ely Samuel Parker (1828 – August 31, 1895), (born Hasanoanda, later known as Donehogawa) was an Iroquois of the Seneca tribe born at Indian Falls, New York (then part of the Tonawanda Reservation). During the American Civil War, he wrote the final draft of the Confederate surrender terms at Appomattox. Later in his career Parker rose to the rank of Brigadier General, a promotion which was backdated to the surrender.[1]

Usnsubvet77
Username: Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 1st Michigan Sharpshooters were actually trained at the U.S. Arsenal at Dearborn, MI not at Fort Wayne as previously speculated.
The 1st Michigan Sharpshooters should not to be confused with the 1st Michigan Infantry which was formed and trained at Fort Wayne.

In fact, less than half of the regiments formed in Michigan trained at Fort Wayne. The 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th were some of the only ones (off the top of my head).

There were several “camps” or training and grouping areas used by regiments assembling to deploy into the war. Detroit Barracks was another location for training. This was located near Russell and Gratiot. Example the 17th Michigan was formed and trained there before departing Michigan.

Wherever the 1st Sharpshooters were trained, it in NO way diminishes their nobility and honorable service rendered during the Civil War. The following was just clarification for the benefit of all.

Marker at the Commandant's Quarters (Dearborn Historical Museum), Michigan Avenue at Monroe Boulevard, Dearborn. The marker was erected by the Dearborn Historical Commission, Dearborn Civil War Centennial Commission, Allied Veteran's Council, and other civic groups, and was dedicated November 11, 1964. The inscription reads:

“Michigan soldiers trained at U. S. arsenal during Civil War. During the period of the American Civil War the U. S. Arsenal in Dearborn (then Dearbornville) served as training facilities for Michigan soldiers. This marker is a testimony and a memorial to those men and their units who gave a measure of their devotion. They include: First Michigan Sharpshooters Regiment Approximately one third to one half of the unit's ten companies were casualties, including men from the all Indian Company K. Four men received the Congressional Medal of Honor; and Battery M of First Light Artillery.” Dearborn Historical Commission marker

http://www.suvcwmi.org/memoria ls/mcwm3.html

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some info on Scott and the Medal of Honor, and more on Company K at and after the Battle of the Crater:

The sharpshooters, on the far left of the disorganized Union forces, were joined by the 2nd and 20th Michigan. They had gained a foothold on the Rebel works, and it is uncertain whether they could see the gallant but ineffectual charge made by the untested black troops on the right. Unit cohesion was impossible, and it is doubtful orders could have been heard, much less followed. Men clawed into the sides of the crater in a vain attempt to evade Confederate fire raining down on them. Under a pitiless sun, the corpses soon bloated and became breastworks for those who were still alive.

Through it all, the Indians kept their composure. Lieutenant William H. Randall of Company I, captured during the fight, remembered that “the Indians showed great coolness. They would fire at a Johnny and then drop down. Would then peek over the works and try to see the effect of their shot.” Lieutenant Bowley claimed to have seen that “some of them were mortally wounded, and clustering together, covered their heads with their blouses, chanted a death song, and died—four of them in a group.”

Official reports describing the actions of the 1st Michigan in the Crater are scant. Colonel DeLand was stunned by an exploding shell almost immediately upon entering the fight and went to the rear. Captain Elmer C. Dicey, who assumed command, was captured and did not file an after-action report.

Nevertheless, Raymond Herek, the regiment’s modern-day historian, has pieced together an account of their last moments in the Crater. “Some of the Sharpshooters,” Herek wrote, “among them Pvts. Sidney Haight, Antoine Scott, and Charles Thatcher, covered the retreat as best they could before they pulled out. Scott (Co. K) was one of the last to leave the fort....Thatcher, Haight, Scott and [Charles H.] DePuy all were cited for the Medal of Honor for their exploits that day.” Thatcher, Haight and DePuy, all white, received their medals in 1896. Scott, the Pentwater Chippewa, died in 1878—probably never knowing that his exceptional bravery had been recognized.

Herek lists only three men of Company K as killed, one wounded and six captured in the Crater. All the captured sharpshooters were sent to an old tobacco warehouse in Danville, Va. Overall, the 1st Michigan lost 62 men in the ill-fated assault.

The Crater was the last major action for the Indian sharpshooters, though Company K did some fighting at Ream’s Station, Peebles Farm, Hatcher’s Run and the final assault on Petersburg in April 1865. The 1st Michigan was the first Union regiment to enter the evacuated city. The men marched in the Grand Review of the armies in Washington, D.C., on May 23, 1865, and were mustered out of service on July 28.

http://www.historynet.com/wars _conflicts/american_civil_war/ 7460182.html?page=3&c=y

Jams

Post Number: 7257
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Usnsubvet77 for the clarification.

Still a part of the history of our region, I was unaware.

Thanks Gnome for your original question.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found a very interesting history of the Medal of Honor, with a little bit about the three Michigan men from the Battle of the Crater:

Three Michigan soldiers, Sidney Haight, Charles Thatcher and Antoine Scott of the 1st Michigan
Sharpshooters would have all been repeat Medal of Honor recipients, but were lost in the bureaucracy and the passing of these soldiers. Antoine Scott, alias LaCroix, being part Indian from Pentwater, Michigan was never originally recognized. He
died in 1878 never knowing of his eligibility.

From the Newsletter of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, Michigan Department, April 2002.
http://www.suvcwmi.org/messeng er/V10_N4.pdf

Gnome

Post Number: 461
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This issue of the Indians of Company K has been an interest of mine for a few years. The entire notion of fighting for a country that essentially stole your birthright is fasinating. Now, while I understand that the history of indians in Michigan is complex, it still baffles me that these brave men took up our flag and gave their lives for us.

They deserve our respect, our thanks, and above all, they deserve to be remembered.

I have two ancestors that were at Andersonville, one was a 15 year old drummer and survived; another is still in Georgia clay.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 314
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is an awesome thread and the history I've been exposed to here is something I am always looking forward to learning. Thank you all for your contributions!

Subvet/Gazhekwe-

Is it possible that these men rotated through Fort Wayne or were mustered through the Campus Martius portal?

Also, why has no one ever petitioned the government for recognition of the bravery these men exhibited?

Subvet, can we check into possibly contacting the Army to see what we can do to move this acknowledgement along? We should do this for many reasons, not the least of which is that nobody else has and these peoples descendants should have the recognition they so rightly deserve.

There acts are certainly worthy of a minimum of a Bronze/Silver Star w/V Flash, if not the full CMH honor. Their families deserve the recognition and it is the right thing to do.

Please let me know what you think-we have contacts and I believe that we can make things happen here. I am willing to do any leg work necessary to make this a reality.

On an unrelated note to Gazhekwe, has Rick Schott pursued the Indian Mound issue with you? We sure would like to get started!

Thanks to you, too, Jams!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe -

Can you contact me about these two threads and some papers on Northport area tribe members that possibly died at Andersonville?
I need to find a home for them. Genealogical records back to the early 1700's.

Thanks.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/119110.html?1197413921

http://pbma.grobbel.org/photos /sgt_wolfe.htm

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23, I would be happy to contact you, once I figure out how to do that. Your people could be from either the Grand Traverse or the Little Traverse Bay Band. Do you know which?

This man was in Company K during the Civil War, a forebear, perhaps? From the Roster Jams posted above:

Wolfe, Payson, - Northport; Enlisted 3 Aug 1863 at Northport for 3 years, age 30, Mustered 8 Aug 1863. Taken prisoner 17 Jun 1864 at Petersburg, spent 3 weeks in Libby, 10 moths at Andersonville. Discharged t Camp Chase, OH 13 Jun 1865. Died Dec 1900 at Cross Village.

Gnome

Post Number: 462
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Jams, thanx.

And thanx to everyone who has contributed to this - unfortunately - little known bit of Michigan history.

The guy behind the whole thing was named Deland. He was a newspaper man from Jackson, and was directly responsible for the founding of the Republican party and was rabidly anti-slavery.

There is a monument to the 1st Michigan Sharpshooters on the grounds of the State Capitol, and they do list Company K, but there are no - that I know of - seperate monuments dedicated to Company K.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buried at Andersonville from First Sharpshooters, Company K, from http://www.michiganinthewar.or g/anders.htm

I added the info from the roster Jams posted above.

Gibson, Joseph or Louis G., - Bear Creek; Enlisted 8 Sep 1863 at Little Traverse for 3 years, age 23, Mustered 21 Oct 1863. Taken prisoner at Petersburg, 17 Jun 1864. died Andersonville, GA 3 Sep 1864, buried at Andersonville prison - grave #7741.

Hamblin, James M. Mackinac; Enlisted 28 mar 1864 Mackinac for 3 years, age 22, Mustered 29 Apr 1864. Joined regiment at North Anna River, Va 26 May 1864. Taken prisoner at Petersburg, 17 Jun 1864. Died 21 Oct 1864 at Andersonville, GA (of scorbulus). Buried Andersonville prison grave # 11260.

Jondrau, Michael; Enlisted 14 Mar 1864. Joined regiment at North Anna River, Va, 26 May 1864. Taken prisoner at Petersburg, 17 Jun 1864. died 5 Jan 1865. Buried Andersonville, GA.

Mixinasaw, William #15511 The roster actually says he survived the war: Northport; Enlisted 9 Jul 1863 at Northport for 3 years, age 20. Promoted to corporal 1 Jan 1865. Discharged at Philadelphia, PA 7 Jun 1865.
[Tribal papers say this is the same man: Mixernasa, William, - Northport; died a prisoner at Camp Sumpter, GA [History of Leelanau Township] ]

Pe-nais-now-o-quot, Jacko, - Northport; Enlisted 1 Jun 1863 at Northport for 3 years, age 40, Mustered 22 Jun 1863. Taken prisoner at Petersburg 14 Jun 1864. Died at Andersonville.

Saw-Be-Come, Adam Pentwater; Enlisted 4 Jul 1863 at Pentwater for 3 years, age 28, taken prisoner at Petersburg, VA 17 Jun 1864. Died in Andersonville prison 26 Oct 1864, buried in National Cemetery, Andersonville, GA grave #11508

South, Peter Bear River; Enlisted 17 Jun 1863 at Bear River for 3 years, age 18, Mustered 20 Jul 1863. Taken prisoner at Petersburg 17 Jun 1864. Died at Andersonville prisoner 19 Dec 1864 of diarrhea - grave 12310

A. Sockum Died 26 Oct 1864 at Andersonville prison, GA. Gravesite Unknown

It can be difficult to trace the family history as the spelling of the names changed greatly over time. Saw-be-come coul be Sawby, McSawby or Beacom now, instance.

(Message edited by gazhekwe on December 11, 2007)

Taken Prisoner, no further record:

Kitcherbalist, Amable, - Northport; Enlisted 24 Aug 1863 at Northport for 3 years, age 22, Mustered 4 Oct 1863. Taken prisoner 30 Jul 1864. No further record.

Bigb23

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe -

Yes, Payson Wolfe - is my Great(or great,great) Grandfather. I love this site!
My mother always told stories of Andersonville.
I have records for Little Traverse Bay Band.

(Message edited by bigb23 on December 12, 2007)

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should have posted the cite to that GTB News article. There is info on page 8 about how to contact the museum, which would love to acquire info about the history of GTB members. The Company K article is on the same page.

http://www.gtb.nsn.us/pdf_file s/newsletters/oct07sect4.pdf

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, the Tribal Chairman at LTB is Frank Ettawageshik.

Here is their site, and they do have a history page. I am not sure who is collecting the history info, but Frank would definitely be interested.

http://www.ltbbodawa-nsn.gov/

This may be a good contact there:

Archives and Records Department
Michael L. Lyons, Administrative Assistant (231)242-1450

Bigb23

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe -

Boy I hate PDF files, but I will find a home for these documents. My roots go back 1000 years, but this state is sapping the strength from me.
Sighhhhh -

Bigb

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres, we have not discussed this further and I think we need to. I will give Rick a call tomorrow, also some other peeps who might be able to help.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thinking about why the Indian men went to war, there were a lot of reasons. They had managed to avoid removal west of the Mississippi, and remained settled in their communities. They truly believed that if the south won, they would be removed, or even enslaved. Such inequalities as they perceived in the community at large would only be worsened under southern rule. Some leaders encouraged their enlistment at a time when the Union was having to draft men into service. I saw a reference to that earlier and will try to find it again.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meantime, some neat stories found at http://www.thehighroad.org/sho wthread.php?t=36853

A collection of bedtime stories - or sharpshooter tales
At Cold Harbor, one Indian from the First Michigan Sharpshooters, Co. K, was sent to General Wilcox's H.Q. to dispatch a rebel sharpshooter who had made things uncomfortable for them. Old "One Eye" had use of only his left eye and would normally be disqualfied from serving as a soldier. This did not stop him from enlisting and furthermore, he was one of the best shots in the regiment.

"One Eye arrived at General Wilcox's headquarter and asking no questions and speaking to no one, sat down and observed. After half an hour, he got up, and walked away, his silence never broken. Later in the afternoon, pickets reported seeing a rebel sharpshooter in a tree being hit and falling through the branches onto the ground. Later in the evening, One Eye returned to his camp and laconically reported to his commanding officer, 'Me got im.'"

Elsewhere in the book it is learned that the Indians of Co. K were not only the best shots in the regiment, but that they also taught the rest of the regiment how to camouflage themselves (applied mud and allowed it to dry or rolled in dry dirt until the blue uniform blended with the ground).

BTW, "One Eye" was the name given to him by the whites of the regiment. The Indians of Co. K were recruited from the reservation in Oceana County, Little Traverse Bay, Bear River, Little Traverse, La Croix and the Mackinac region. Others came from Isabella Reservation & the Saginaw area. ... See Herek at pages 35-36.

Here's another story that involves a Berdan Sharpshooter: "I was sent to the Ninth Corps and had a long hard day sharpshooting... My orders were to annoy the enemy artillery which was keeping up a tearing fire on our troops... In front of me was a field of standing corn which was about two feet high making me a good screen but the shells came too close and I wanted to go over the summit and get down below the cornfield... I was sure that if I tried to cross the opening that the rebel pickets would get a bullet into me. While on the ridge I met a Michigan soldier and he was under the same orders I was. He was a full blooded Indian. I told him that I wished that I could get down to the cover of brush but the corn was not large or thick enough to cover us from the view of the rebels. The Indian said, 'Make self corn. Do as I do.' He then cut off the stocks of corn and began to stick them into his clothes and equipment. I did as he did and then we worked our way to the fence and cover of bushes without even drawing rebel fire.

The Indian and I had a very fine chance on the rebels. The Indian was good shot and enjoyed his duty, only when the shells came too close, then he would cringe and his eyes would look as wild as a panther's. In front of us was a battery and the earth at the muzzle was too high, so high that they did not try to fire the guns but were digging it down as we came into our new position. They dropped out of sight at our first shot and we kept them from using the guns all afternoon. After dark, the Indian and I returned to our respective commands, never to meet again. To me he was pleasant company although he had little to say." Taken from Wyman White's "The Civil War Diary of Wyman S. White," pages 249-250.

The First Michigan Sharpshooters was also in the area and it is possible the Indian mentioned by White was from Co. K.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found the reference!

Laurence Hauptman’s seminal study of Indians in the Civil War, Between Two Fires, argues that extreme economic necessity and the hopes of negotiating a more favorable treaty to protect their traditional homelands from white incursion were the primary reasons driving Michigan Indians into Union uniforms. But Saginaw Chippe­wa Chief Nock-ke-chick-faw-me, in a speech to the young warriors of his tribe gathered at Detroit, used a more sensational form of motivation. “If the South conquers you will be slave dogs,” he warned. “There will be no protection for us; we shall be driven from our homes, our lands, and the graves of our friends.”

A similar oration given by Ottawa Chief Paw-baw-me on July 4, 1863, at the reservation in Oceana County caused 25 men to join the colors. ...

http://www.historynet.com/wars _conflicts/american_civil_war/ 7460182.html?page=1&c=y

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 315
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gazhekwe. I look forward to helping out restore the Mound, as it has been a HUGE topic of discussion lately at the Advisory meetings.

Please let me know what or how we can assist.

PlymouthRes

Usnsubvet77
Username: Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About getting some sort of retroactive medals for individuals is tough sounding, especially from the Civil War.

Since the Bronze Star was not introduced until WWII, I don't think that avenue would be appropriate. Only because making a recommendation for a Bronze Star medal that did not exist would seem to devalue the efforts required to get a Medal of Honor for valor during the Civil War.

Since no equivalency existed for the Bronze Star in the Civil War, it would seem only appropriate to re-recommend the members of Co. K for the MoH that were denied it based on heritage. However, I understand your point of try for at least SOME recognition.

I believe the VA is the only advocate (dare I say) for veterans. The maintenance of records, if they still exist would be through them as well. I have no idea how Civil War records were effected, but when the St. Louis VA storage place burned up, THOUSANDS of veterans lost all of their paper records from WWII and earlier.

Perhaps the state of Michigan archives would have those papers and recommendations.

It is something to look into. It can be very difficult, even for vets still alive. People have been petitioning for Maj Dick Winter's from the 506th PIR (Band of Brothers)to have his Dist. Service Cross upgraded to the MoH. He was not awarded that due to the criteria that only 1 person from each participating division on D-day could be awarded it. Only at least he was recognized with something rather than nothing at all.

Pretty stupid policies, BUT with enough people, perhaps these errors could be rectified.

Sorry about the length. Don't mean to sound preachy.

(Message edited by usnsubvet77 on December 12, 2007)