Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » East vs.West » Archive through December 13, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always wondered, why do those of you who live on the West side of the city think you're so much better than East siders.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WESTSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE!

Ticub
Username: Ticub

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has nothing to do with "being better," but convenience for me. I live 8 miles and 15 minutes from the airport and 45 minutes to the Ohio state line. I go up North maybe once in 5 years. I fly and drive out of state often. Snobbism has nothing to do with it as far as I'm concerned.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2400
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because we don't have fishflies in the spring.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 446
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never really understood the whole east side/west side thing. Or the U-M/MSU thing for that matter.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 444
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have any of you Westsiders ever actually been east of Woodward? It's just WEIRD. I'm telling you, it's just different. that's that.

Plus the fishfly thing.

But Ticub, I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. Why would you want to go to Ohio anyway?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5886
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Much of the Westside/Eastside debate is quite lighthearted.

Jjaba (Westsider) and I (Eastsider) have been making jabs at each others' side on this forum off and on for at least 6 years. And we get plenty of help from others.

A recent forum jab at the westside...

quote:

Westsiders are so used to the grid plan of streets that when they come to the east side, they see a street not in the 90 degree compass points (usually due to the former ribbon farm layout)... they become disoriented, and go screaming back to the westside...

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I've always wondered, why do those of you who live on the West side of the city think you're so much better than East siders."

TELL 'EM!
Eastsiders have Better Made, Faygo, Lake St. Clair, Belle Isle, Chandler Park, Grosse Pointe... shall I go on?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 715
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I blame these guys!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Eb3J_hQLtNM
Im pretty sure that is Jjaba doing the 2nd verse

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Westsiders are spoiled by expressways too!

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does Ohio or up north have to do with anything?
Additionally,I-94 is at my corner, and Im 20 minutes from the airport.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2402
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was born on the east side. Women's Hospital, now Hutzel, at John R and Forest. Then at the age of 2 days my parents took me to the west side and I never returned. I had seen enough.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 658
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It dates back to the forties maybe even further. When African Americans moved out of Black Bottom/Paridise Valley which although was lively was also some of the worst housing stock in the city they moved to what is known as the black westside. Grand Blvd/linwood/12th/I96 area. when they moved there it was such a step up that they were the ones who were seen to have made it thus creating the westside is the best side mentality which still holds some weight till this day. Eventually Conant Gardens became more of a destination but those two areas were seen as the people to who made it and separated African Americans by class. Read Thomas Sugrue's Race and inequality in Post War Detroit it goes much deeper than that.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The westside is sprawl anyway.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I know you're used to having your ass is royally kissed on here Ray, Please post in other forums. Appreciate it!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, eastsiders have shorter commutes into downtown WITHOUT using an expressway.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does it hold weight?

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 659
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way having lived all over the westside (Black westside/University District/ Southwest and Corktown) I must say that the east does just have something about it that is much different I lived in Hamtramck for 6 months and I broke out in hives I don't know if its east of woodward or that it was a suburb. I just had to come back to my side of town.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I experience the same thing everytime I go to the westside Urbanoutdoors. It's just something never right with the overall attitude of people over there and the setting.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 660
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, not hold weight but the mentality still is around till this day.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I must say that the east does just have something about it that is much different I lived in Hamtramck for 6 months and I broke out in hives I don't know if its east of woodward or that it was a suburb"

Are you serious? East side = hives??

True ignorance.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

really is.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 661
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well if it helps the rash is much worse whenever I go out to the suburbs now that scares me.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesnt help or hurt, the thought process is extremely interesting though.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4147
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a remarkable symmetry within the City as to how the east side and west side are built. I would postulate that the east side is more heavily blighted and has higher rates of abandoned lots/houses. The west side has a slightly longer list of large, well-kept middle class neighborhoods. The west side is more expansive, though, so it's possible to be on the west side and much further from downtown than anywhere on the east side.

Generalizing sides is not the most important thing. It's best to assess the city on a neighborhood-level, and to recognize that there should not be enemies within the city.

But the east side has the WATER! (and no Livonia).

Ticub
Username: Ticub

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Ticub, I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. Why would you want to go to Ohio anyway?

I have to go through the damn state to get to Maryland where my daughter lives. I'll probably never get to Columbus because of all the horror stories I've heard.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why would you want to go to Ohio anyway?"

One Word: Sandusky.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The larger, well kept middle class neighborhoods that you speak of are rapidly deteriorating.

6 and Livernois is one of the most dangerous intersections in the city, residents from outside of the neighborhood aren't coming in to commit crimes.

Pilgrim Village, immediately south of UD, take a look , drive through.

Its my opinion that most people tend to base their views on age-old myths. Although I must admit, 48205 is an absolute nightmare.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4148
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sherwood Forest, Green Acres, University District. There are some shining examples.

My mother is from Pilgrim Village, and that has been in rough shape for awhile.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Its my opinion that most people tend to base their views on age-old myths. Although I must admit, 48205 is an absolute nightmare."

Uh excuse you, that's my zip code you're generalizing. The only rough part in 48205 is the Gratiot and 6 Mile area. Everything else in 4805 is a pleasant as it gets anywhere across the city, and that's saying a lot.