Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Harper Woods » Archive through November 28, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Btw, how's the new High School progressing? I've not been inside. Although, my son will play HW Floor Hockey this winter, & I think its in the new HS Gym.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 294
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

low price sells :-(

Applesauce

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know what happened with the meeting regarding the fate of Salter Park?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2021
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The high/mid school was dedicated last friday. Looks pretty cool inside, standard new high school looking building. Looks like Troy, Rochester, Northville or any of those kind of schools.

Text description

Text description

Mauser765

Post Number: 2022
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the football team has been kicking ass lately btw - they humiliated Clawson at their homecoming (hahahaha!). They played a damn good game against Byron last Friday, but I dont know who ended up winning.

(dedication was thursday - oops)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5090
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats to Harper Woods on the new school.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2024
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WC3 is still in the building btw - they have an upper floor wing. The gym is real nice, and thank god has vivid bright lighting. The weight and swimming facilities look sweet.

Now is the deathwatch for the old structure - tear that 'chit down, mang.

The local paper says Salter may be come a large indoor sports facility. Somebody is circulating flyers saying HWs wants to sell the land to one of the Pointes. City Manager always counters such flyers with his own propaganda bs flyers. "Just shut up and let us do what we want." Im pretty sure thats what he said. heh.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2030
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres images from the dedication brochure of the new school layout:

Text description

Text description

Text description

Mauser765

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Text description

Heres links to the full pages:

http://detroitfunk.com/HWHS_001.jpg

http://detroitfunk.com/HWHS_002.jpg

Applesauce

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pics/info Mau! I would've like to have been there, even though my kids go to GP schools.

Yeah, I got the flyers. Salter Park has always seemed a waste of space to me. There's hardly anyone there anymore. Why not turn it into a sports complex? My kids have participated in Neighborhood Club sports/activities for years & will continue to do so. We'd love to have a HW branch in our own backyard. Actually, I really dont care who owns/runs it, just build it! Besides HW Little League (which I applaud), there's nothing for the kids to do in HW especially with the high property taxes we pay.
We go to GP/NC for everything inc Parks/Rec, soccer, flag football & gymnastics. We would love to see Salter turned into a quality sports/rec/park center!

Mauser765

Post Number: 2032
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Im behind that too. I think a lot of the Salter hoohaa is coming from a write in candidate for City Counsel. Right now Salter is less a park, and more a side lawn next to a drive way and parking lot.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6739
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Harper Woods has a new junior and senior high school. I hope it goes well. Since that eliminate their junior high school.

Applesauce

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, drove by there (HS) the other day. Cant wait til' they blow up the old HS, & remove that huge dirt pile (Mt. Poynter). I hear they might put the football field in its place? When are they supposed to detonate?

Mauser765

Post Number: 2034
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hasnt been abated yet - so hopefully not soon

Mt. Poynter - hahaha !

I wish they could Eminent Domain the entire section from Beaconsfield to Kelly, and doze all three abandoned parochial schools along with the former Notre Dame football field (which kinda sucks, that thing is hard to even walk on). Then they could build a park, rec center, indoor arena - you name it. Give the Harper Woods kids somewhere to be and something to do other than slope up and down the streets at all hours of the night.

Now thats a millage I could get behind.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harper Woods 9/2007

Applesauce

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with ya there. I wonder how long those old schools will sit there? I see Bishop Gallagher is now Colon Powell Academy?

Mauser765

Post Number: 2044
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah - Its a charter school. Thats a private company, throw them a few bucks and kick them out. That land could be the city center.

Thanks for the pic Don. Thats sweet.

Applesauce

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, nice pic Don, props to you.

Btw, we got a very light trick/treat turn-out last night during the normal hours. Although, I noticed a convoy of several vans come through around 8:30-9pm. Soon after I had a young black male who looked to be around 20 yrs/old with no costume & a pillow case for candy, ringing my doorbell when my lights were out with no obvious signs of life. I was watching TV & my kids were in bed, my wife answered the door & politely told him that "our lights were off". Can someone tell me why some parents cart their kids to neighborhoods they obviously dont live in at late hours? I believe you should at least live in the neighborhood. When did trick or treat surpass the HS level?

Mauser765

Post Number: 2056
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at work, but wife said we had a good crowd, and not so many "imported" treaters. She got a few of the post-lights-off teens too. Teen girls with no costumes holding their purses open saying "give us candy". I reminded her that the teens are the most important ones to give candy to - else we get "tricked".

She complained of kids banging on the door before the sun was down and before any lights were on - thats a new one.

Applesauce

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess youre right, dont want to be tricked! Btw,
have you seen the FP article regarding Oakland county's falling property values? I'm shocked that Wayne hasnt followed suit.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071102/NEW S03/711020435

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kids werent in costume here on woodmont st. I told them no costume, no candy. And there were Adults begging too. I told them they were too old. HALLOWEEN ISNT LIKE THE OLD DAYS.

Applesauce

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for you Pgn!

Applesauce

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser, thought you sold your place? Still in HW?

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do any of the Harper Woodsians on the board have any opinion on Jeff Wummel? he's running for city council as a write-in. He wants the council to be more open about what they're doing and his big thing is that he doesn't want a development at Salter Park.

Applesauce

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the write up in the local paper regarding Mr. Wummel. While I agree with being open concerning the council, I'm definately for developing Salter. I've lived in the area for 30 years & Salter Park is hardly a park. The city needs to support this, theres nothing for the kids of HW to do. Unfortunately, I didnt get to vote yesterday. Anyone know what happened?

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The results are conspicuously absent from every publication that has published the results. I'm wondering if it's just taking a while to count up all the write-in votes for Wummel.

Applesauce

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I looked in the Wayne County results section of the Freep & its not there?

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 526
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser
quote:

She complained of kids banging on the door before the sun was down and before any lights were on - thats a new one.

The DST change created this problem. In years past, it was dark before 6pm on Halloween. This year--with the clock shift delayed a week--it wasn't really dark until almost quarter to 7.

(Apologies for the late bump on this sub-thread)

Applesauce

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats the latest haps in HW?

Bump

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old High School torn down, houses aren't selling, a shooting at the Amvets Post 57 rental hall.......but on the bright side there will be the grand opening of Chili's at Eastland after the New Year and new stores in the old tire store next to applebee's.