Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Final Vacant Campus Martius Spot Filled » Archive through January 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hockey_guy
Username: Hockey_guy

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Wednesday the mayor and developers(can't remember who) are supposed to make an announcement about the new Cadillac centre, across from the Hard rock cafe. It looks very modern and unique. I can't remember what exactly it contains but I know there will be apartments, movie theatre, fitness area, etc. Tomorrow or Monday it should be in the news. Anyone else hear this?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a trick to get us all aroused, isn't it? Where's your source?

I remember reading a thread on here a while back about a supposed 31 store K(rap)-Mart Mall at the Motown site that the mayor and Ilitch announced.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 440
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be a very cool announcement, and that would definitely fit the description of his "major announcement" that was supposed to happen in November.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 274
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be one of the best kept secrets if it happens.

Hockey_guy
Username: Hockey_guy

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't tell where I saw it, because I don't want to get in trouble(at work). But it is for real, I have no reason to lie about it. You'll all hear about it next week. It's a modern building with dark glass windows, but the shape is unique from what I saw. It's hard to describe it from just one picture.

(Message edited by Hockey_guy on January 05, 2008)

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 665
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Id honestly like to wait until the demand is there for a very tall condo tower

Jrich2425
Username: Jrich2425

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This feels like deja-vu. Wasn't there a proposed building to go on that lot discussed here a few months ago. And if so, could it be the same building Hockey_guy is talking about? We all saw pictures of the renderings. I tried to find the thread, but couldn't think of what it was called. Does anyone else remember?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jrich2425:

I believe that this is the thread that you were looking for. Unfortunately, the pictures on Eastriverfront's site no longer work.

Monroe Block Thread

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 470
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would seriously cry if that actually got built. I really hope they redesigned it or something, but it doesn't sound like it.

I wouldn't want a fake historical building there, but I really don't want what was shown before there either. I think the parking lot would be better than that.

Jrich2425

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Scs100. That is exactly what I was thinking of. Do we agree that it is the same building Hockey_guy is telling us about? I had hoped the Monroe Block Thread was the last we heard of that building.

Jasoncw, I couldn't agree more. I was under the impression that Campus Martius was the place for new life in Detroit. The building in those renderings looks more like death.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, just look at the news you guys :-)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080105/BUS INESS04/801060626

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's like trying to put a satellite dish or observatory on top of a log cabin.

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the look of the building. Its Modern and some of Detroit needs. A great develpment.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually like this design. The old renderings really were dark and you couldn't make out too much detail. This looks post post-modern, but without being completely absurd. It will be a great addition to the myriad of architectural styles that make up the Campus Martius area.

After all, there were a lot of people who thought that the Kennedy Block lacked any inspiration. This is the antithesis of One Kennedy Center.

(Message edited by hudkina on January 05, 2008)

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umm... Wow... That building would be a shocking sight in Downtown Detroit. "fully financed" and "privately funded," thats wonderful news.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two 24 story buildings with a 12 story retail connect, seems like a hell of a lot of retail. I'm anxious to see what is planned.

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also this project has no city tax abatements. This project will go great in the Campus Martius area. Now only thing Campus martius is a plan for 1001 Woodward. I hope the county or some one else moves in and does not leave that building vacant. The Cadillac Centere might be Detroit's version of Block 37 or Mercantile Exchange

(Message edited by sg9018 on January 05, 2008)

Wschnitt
Username: Wschnitt

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am really excited about this.

This is what I imagined the tipping point for detroit would be-privately financed projects.

Daytwa
Username: Daytwa

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn it! You beat me to it! You guys don't mess around - this was only released like 20 minutes ago...

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This almost sounds too good to be true. There wasn't even an announcement about the awarding development rights and now a project of this scope is financed and ready to go out of the blue.

Jrich2425

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, so this is the same building as the one found on the monroe block thread. It looks much brighter in these drawings though. Its growing on me. At the very least, it's 1000 times better than the empty lot currently at that site.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 666
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 of my design concerns are

1) the re-cladding of the Cadillac building. I'm not confident that the new siding will mesh well with the historical detail on the roof and Cadillac square frontage.

2) The Monroe street perspective (top row center image on freep article). It's sort of a personal preference, but I just don't really like the way it looks from that angle.

However, final design may be quite different, look at Greektown.

Finally, I hope the difference between rendering and reality is not similar to what materialized with One Kennedy Square

(Message edited by apbest on January 06, 2008)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4289
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fuckkkk no way. too much too soon!

I could care less about design...here's a fully-funded residential development coming out of the blue, orchestrated by a NY-based major downtown landholder. This is one of the best signs we've ever had.

...okay I actually do care about the design, but attention-grabbing and innovative is always a legitimate tact. I'd hope for a little more height, but we need to wait and see on all counts here. This will surely morph.

I'm just really impressed by where this development is coming from...unbelievable.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone have a historic photo of the smaller tower that used to stand on that spot?

Whooops found it myself.

The Barlum Tower

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/image/getimage-idx?view=image;entryid=x-4337;viewid=4337;cc=vmc;c=vmc;quality=1

(Message edited by DetroitHabitater on January 06, 2008)

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pardon my language but...that is the most horrendous piece of shit I have ever seen.

The design context of the neighborhood must have been completely ignored in order for that to get passed through. And what is up with K-wame's photo? Is he brining sexy back again?

To quote someone from the previous thread:

"I like it--Detroit could use more of a Gehry influence, though the contrast is jarring. There's no way anyone will invest what it would take to replicate the prewar buildings in Detroit, but a less expensive building that at least looks interesting should be a fair compromise."

Yeah, Frank Ghery is to Architecture what cancer is to the human body.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tower that used to be there wasn't called the Barlum Tower. It was the Cadillac Square Building. The Cadillac Tower is actually the one that used to be called the Barlum Tower.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the basic design, minus the covering on the Cadillac Building.

I will say that I do like the green roof idea.

(Message edited by SCS100 on January 06, 2008)

Tetsua

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2008 0105/REG/915229600/-1

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That piece of "architecture" and that is using the term very loosely...makes me feel sorry that someone is paying someone to design that.

that building will be empty 2 years after it opens.

Skamour
Username: Skamour

Post Number: 223
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.michiganhistorymaga zine.com/detroit/pdf/monroe_bl k.pdf

A good page with info/pictures about what was on this spot not too long ago...