Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Final Vacant Campus Martius Spot Filled » Archive through January 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes I wonder If people just wake up and can't wait to start their negativity towards anything good that happens in this city. Sheeeeeesh

(Message edited by broken_main on January 06, 2008)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6068
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotcha, thankg Greatlakes. That view is from the perspective of the Water Board Building. Just out of view on the right would be the back of the National Theatre (not the Capitol, as someone incorrectly mentioned on this thread).

So this building is taking up the entire pentagonal shaped block, minus the corner where the Cadillac Tower is located. Wow, it will fill the frontage on Cadillac Square, Bates, Library, Monroe, and Woodward/Campus Martius.

Gistok

Post Number: 6069
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greatlakes, it almost looks like the 2 sides of the Cadillac Tower facing the rest of the development may get recladding, to tie the 2 completely different architectural styles together. One of those sides (facing Campus Martius) has few windows on that side anyway. And perhaps the 2 sides facing away from the development (Bates and Cadillac Square) may remain unchanged.

Since owners of the Cadillac Tower are doing this development, I'm sure that the tower will be integrated (on the first or more floors) with the rest of the block. So the Cadillac Tower's 40 stories of office space will likely be integrated into a shopping arcade, entertainment destination and residential towers.

And the best part is this will all be accomplished without the need for a superblock! :-)

(Message edited by Gistok on January 06, 2008)

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, at least the Campus Martius side (which seemed strange even when there were other buildings on the Monroe Block) will finally not look so awkward.

Gistok

Post Number: 6070
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I'm not a big fan of modern architecture, and it is premature to speculate... but I could see this completed design winning some awards for blending modern and early 20th century totally unrelated architecture together in a new way...

Greatlakes

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the official press release:
http://www.reuters.com/article /pressRelease/idUS44425+06-Jan -2008+PRN20080106

New tidbit: "A local Detroit architectural firm will also be used for project
work."

And an extended drawing:
http://prn.newscom.com/cgi-bin /pub/s?f=PRN/prnpub&p1=2008010 6/CLSU001&xtag=PRN-prnphotos-6 8039&redir=preview&tr=1&row=1

(Message edited by GreatLakes on January 06, 2008)

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building doesnt do that much for me visually but it's good news for the city. Sorry it's not 1920 anymore, so you won't see anymore of the beautiful art deco skyscrapers you've come to love in the city. It is 2007, therefore I would think buildings built during this time would reflect that, just as other time periods have done. Just accept the good news and chill.

Gistok

Post Number: 6072
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detmi7mile... er... um... did you buy a new calendar yet? :-)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4293
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link Elwoodp. I really like this guy.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This announcement will be the best Birthday gift I could receive!

I think the project is great and having the space filled will give CM a complete, modern 24hr city feel. I am not sure about the renderings, I think I like them. I'll hold final judgement until something is finalized

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thumbs down on the design.

I like classical urban architecture, though I'm willing to accept a modernist infusion for the sake of urban building diversity. This example, however, is tacky. I seriously doubt its final appearance will resemble the picture presented today.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 590
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I missed this and added another thread!

<313>

Broken_main

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classic!!

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 254
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the original renderings for the Freedom tower in NY? The building looked like nothing else. As time passed the renderings got more and more normal.
The CGI pictures they have now are probably not what the finished product will look like (hopefully).
If they really wanna make a mark on Detroit make it have am attached 50 story tower. Something to add to the skyline.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds good Kslice, but who will they find to occupy the building?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quicken :-)

Broken_main

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sure this development will help decide where to put his building much quicker now.

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 148
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't understand this building - what sense does it make? A few days after the news that the Griswold project has fizzled because the expensive condominiums weren't selling, there's an announcement of a LARGER condo building with even MORE EXPENSIVE condos?

The renderings look half-baked (despite whatever one might think of the design), the developer is unable to spell "Center", and John Gallagher falls over himself typing out sorority-girl squeals:

"...a project aimed at pumping up downtown's 24-hour buzz and international interest in the city."

I feel like we're in an episode of Absolutely Fabulous - and not one of the more chuckle-worthy episodes.

Wordonthestreet
Username: Wordonthestreet

Post Number: 156
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main,

This building will have apartments, not condominiums.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the developer is unable to spell 'Center',"

So, the developer of Bel-Air Centre didn't know how to spell "Center" either. He still managed to build one of Detroit's last successful retail centers (of the 90s).

You do have a point about the Griswold though. Downtown Detroit is like a dart board. Everyone will take a go for the bullseye, but only one player will hit the sweet spot.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 310
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cadillac = French.
Centre = French.

Therefore the "Cadillac Centre" is perfectly acceptable for Detroit. After all, this is an "international metropolis".

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4748
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An apartment usually means a rental unit, and condos imply owner-occupied structures. However, that's not always the case.

AFAIK, my quick read simply mentioned apartments--which could mean rentals or otherwise. And a mix of rentals and OO units are also possible. The article was short on specifics.

Greatlakes

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, they do have to leave some things under wraps until Wednesday.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Word,

Wouldn't you think more apartments would encourage Gilbert to put his building on the Hudson's site. This would definitely encourage his young workers to move in the city

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the "Centre" contains apartments, perhaps many of Mr. Gilbert's young workers could rent there. I'm sure the rents would be reasonable, and the young workers could chat with each other in perfectly accented French; after all, this is an international metropolis.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4749
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm sure the rents would be reasonable, and the young workers could chat with each other in perfectly accented French; after all, this is an international metropolis.

This was sarcasm, right?

New construction usually comes with a much higher price tag. And some apartments even resort to auctions, where the potential renters actually bid on the prices for the rentals. That approach would be interesting if it even happened here.

After all, there are only seven dozen units.

Wordonthestreet
Username: Wordonthestreet

Post Number: 157
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Given the current state of the housing market, we need more apartments added to downtown and midtown to continue increasing the residential base. The Griswold for example, would have been more successful if it had been a rental development.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY, I still believe Detroit is an international metropolis :-)

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finally figured out what the building reminds me of

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 255
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love those old Marble Warbels.