Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Final Vacant Campus Martius Spot Filled » Archive through January 07, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2190
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My fear is that designs like this, are very, kitschy... A design like this, can be come quite the novelty very fast, and if that is the case, and the building is poorly designed, as it appears to be, then tenants will be wary to occupy the spaces because they won't meet the needs and standards they have come to expect from a modern building."

Apparently some of us are just younger and hiper than the average Detroiter. It's different, but not really all that different from what has been done in most 'normal' cities. In the FREEP article, the development is described as being almost as architecturally revolutionary as the Ren Cen was. That building didn't fit the mold and yet you don't see it dormant and vacant.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4751
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok is already hunting up LEGOs for his version.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY, that would be a sight to see, as well as build

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Its simply a matter of time and place, there is a time and place for a design of that type, try...Dubai in 2 months, where the architectural context is ever changing and rapidly evolving.

quote:

Thinking logically, we have to design to complement the past but to also accentuate the future. This building style MAY work in Detroit in 10-15 years, but there is no bridge between the existing conditions and the building that this design represents

In other words, because we are Detroit we shouldn't dare to build anything remotely bold. We shouldn't stray too far from what's already here because that'd mean we'd have to be original and Detroit isn't the place for that type of stuff.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I've been saying through the whole thread, we should crawl before we can walk. Remember, that's how all the other CBD's in the USA did it.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crawling doesn't get you noticed and doesn't spur interest from outsiders.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been trying to bite my tongue on this thread all day, but comments from D_mcc, Mccarch (perhaps they're the same people) and a few others have me saying: quit your bitching!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Crawling doesn't get you noticed and doesn't spur interest from outsiders."

Well, you also can't rush perfection!

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember, that's how all the other CBD's in the USA did it.

Really? There was nothing like the Guardian when it was built. If Detroit could be bold and daring then we sure as hell can be now.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that's because we were on the same train and track as everyone else. Our cart went off track between the 70s and 00s as other CBD's transformed their downtown slowly but surely over that time.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3503
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to see that we're finally getting that much-rumored tornado sculpture.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Fury13, you know we are in the Tornado Alley of Canada. :-)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6073
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY... LEGO tends to work best with right angles... so I won't even attempt this design!

So this will officially be known as Cadillac Centre... (finally a building whose name ties into the Cadillac Centre People Mover Station).

I went out and bought the Sunday Freep just to read all the ancillary articles relating to the architect and more details about the project.

Someone said that the apartment towers don't appear 24 stories. Well keep in mind that residential floors are only about 3/4 the height of office floors.

Here's the breakdown in one of the other articles:

84 Apartments
30,000 sq. ft. market
100,000 sq. ft. major retail space
25,000 sq. ft. boutiques & specialty shops
14,400 sq. ft. health club & spa
40,000 sq. ft. park (indoor?) with water features
22,000 sq. ft. "living roof"
800 parking spaces

Plus the 40 story Cadillac Tower that will house offices... which will likely have it's lower interior open onto the massive addition.

This doesn't sound like any pirating will be going on from other office towers downtown, although it will likely make the Cadillac Tower a more attractive office building.

From John Gallagher's article about architect Anthony Caradonna (of NYC), it states that the architect took inspiration from some of Detroit's magnificent interior spaces... such as the Compuware Atrium, the RenCen Winter Garden, and the Guardian Buildings former main banking floor (mezzanine).

So I am anticipating some spectacular interior spaces to this building!

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4753
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

LY... LEGO tends to work best with right angles... so I won't even attempt this design!

Whittle them to shape. The Klampett menfolk (Jed and Jethro) thought that their whittling on the porch would attract the babes.

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops...yeah umm i mean 2008 :-)

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 275
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no demand for a 14,400 SF health club and spa downtown.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4754
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SF? For 14,400 straight females? I'd go... to watch.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am an architectural traditionalist at heart, and find the design of the Cadillac Centre to be jarring at first. I think that the restoration of Detroit's early 20th century gems like the BC, Kales, hopefully the Davids, etc. etc. is arguably Detroit's strongest point.

That being said, the CBD is not a historic residential neighborhood that needs to have a unified look. It's about time that things are "jazzed up" a bit and the CBD gets a more cosmopolitan look. I think that it speaks volumes that it is a NYC, and not local, group that is behind this. Bring it on!

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 762
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I usually dont like that kind of design but for whatever reason I really dig this buildings design. What are they doing with the side of Cadillac Tower? This was sure out of left field huh? Hope this project creates a demand to get the Griswold going again by 2009.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4297
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in total agreement with Sknutson.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm in total agreement with Sknutson"

Me too.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 202
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tend prefer hi-rises with setbacks. But, if the details of this development show a design that is visually interesting, useful, well thought out, and has lasting approval, I'll happily accept it.

No one wants an albatross of a building that gets little use.

I appreciate that they had a fully funded done deal before they made an announcement, unlike other announcements that die on the vine after, the press release. I hope that "The Griswold", can get back on track soon......

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6078
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too was wondering about what was being planned for 2 of the 4 sides of the Cadillac Tower? Granted the NW side is the ugliest of the 4 sides (least windows), and could easily use some cosmetic changes.
But the NE side also appears to have some changes planned for it, and it has the same skin as the SE and SW sides.

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 285
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news for Detroit. I am reading this thread today too wanting to bite my tongue. Some posters need to get out of the city more or detached themselves from provincial mentality that always seems to creep in, and is inappropriate for the great city of Detroit.

I am writing from a booming Mexico City where new buildings are just small blimps in the news, so many, and I tell you lots of safe bets, not a lot of marquee projects, just super-macho accelerated growth. There are several thousands developments going on all at once that are cookie-cutter, profit heady, get in, get out constructions that the next earth quake will probably knock down anyway.

It is a breath of fresh air to see the passion one marquee development can make for a city.

I think this news for Detroit should be counted as great for all the attention it gets and how this can focus to the next empty lot to be in-filled. This is just one part of an expanding and diverse downtown that is part of a city that is 100% funky whatever it does, because it is Detroit with an identity that already is unique to any city in the world.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 411
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope this development is a go at development time but one thing doesnt make sense at all to me. 150 Million total cost for this project??
Given recent developments and their cost how can they possibly do this for $150 million. Seems way to low unless the quality will be poor,, I talked to a contractor/ developer today about this today and he agreed that was was shown in the paper today could mostly likely not be done for 150 million today with what was mentioned... Hmmm..

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^
I'm no engineer or architect but judging from the photos it's going to be a lot of glass and steel which to me seems to be much cheaper than other methods of construction which drive the price up. I could be wrong, someone school me if I am.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3558
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why will it take until the Fall of 2009 to break ground when the lot is vacant and City owned?

Eboyer
Username: Eboyer

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobj, something the articles have not mentioned is that the builder has an 18 month option on the site. I'm sure the Mayor will address this at the official press conference. It seems as though plans are not yet solidified, and all they have is an artistic rendering and a few ideas.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4416
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, you can miss a lot not logging on during the weekend!

Interesting bit of news. I highly doubt it will actually look like that. Find the middle ground between that rendering and a plain box, and that's probably what we'll see. :-)

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 4336
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it. I wonder why people get excited by all the bland kennedy/compuware buildings but when something truly interesting come along, they freak. this is not anything like Gehry, at least none I've seen. His buildings remind me of Expressionist film sets. this has a far more organic feel, and i don't mean the green roof.

another plus -- caradon started the "green architecture" program at Pratt