Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Northland Center » Archive through January 05, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

W_6_mile
Username: W_6_mile

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any memories or pictures of this mall?

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 236
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its still open

W_6_mile

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it is.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 237
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was making a statement, not asking a question..ha

I was trying to be funny cause your post indicated that it was closed, but I failed horribly lol

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going there in the early 60s with my folks, when it was still an outdoor mall. The Marshall Fredricks sculptures and fountains, nice stores. Later we went there when I was in high school, the mid 70s we went there because they had the only GAP in the area. Not so much after that.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.waterwinterwonderla nd.com/center.asp

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1966
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to all of the fountains? The only mall I've been to lately that still has one is Southland mall.

W_6_mile

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fairlane Town Center and Somerset Collection have fountains.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4394
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was that the mall with the monorail or some such that went between the mall and a hotel? Vague fuzzy memories. I think I was frightened by Santa there as a tot.

W_6_mile

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge that was Fairlane Town Center. It connected the mall and the Hyatt Regency Hotel.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4395
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey thanks W_6. Is the train still there?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2508
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother and aunt, c. 1955. Is this bear still there?

northland

W_6_mile

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes it is still there near the eastside of the mall.

W_6_mile

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW great picture! The personal ones are the best!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5901
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, excellent photo of 1955. Northland opened in 1954 so they were there from the start. jjaba rode his bike out there on James Cousins Parkway when Northland opened. That was a long haul on the Columbia one speed from Northlawn and Schoolcraft but jjaba was a strong rider from his paper route.

jjaba, Old timey Detroit Times newsboy.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2509
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can recall in the late forties, very early fifties, before Northland was built, that corner at Northwestern and Eight Mile was a large field, not cultivated. Near Northwestern maybe a couple of football fields north of Eight Mile was a completely cleared area where model airplane enthusiasts used to gather and fly their gasoline-propelled model planes. On our trips out to the lakes of Oakland County, Dad would sometimes stop on the shoulder of Northwestern for a bit to let us kids watch the models fly.

I loved it, but never caught the bug to buy my own.

W_6_mile

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Casual Corner having a car in the front window of the store. This was in the 80s.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ they had that in the 90's too, both Eastland and Northland

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 858
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a very upscale and pricey Men's clothing store called Van Dyke in the late 70s. It was near Hudsons and the clothes were very chic. Early 80s I had a sales job at the Sneakers and Cleats shoe store. Journey was in town for a concert and came in and proceeded to buy a load of expensive shoes. Waited on Steve Perry and an anorexic looking woman with him.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, the monorail was shut down quite a few years ago; it needed maintenance and since it had been kind of a one-off project, parts were not readily available and would have been quite expensive. If anyone recalls how long ago that ended, post it, since I don't.

Sfds
Username: Sfds

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sold shoes at the "unenclosed Northland" in HS and Freshman @ WSU '69-'70. There was an underground road system for deliveries and we were connected to Brother's Deli, the connecting hallway was used a lot ;-). Since it was 16 years old in '70 all employees of the mall received "Sweet 16" pins with the NL logo. At one time NL generated more $/sq. ft. than any other US mall.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6824
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember that swanky Chinese restaurant in Northland back in the late 70's/ early 80's? My mind drew a blank on this one.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vaguely remember it, Smogboy, but my ancient mind isnt working this late

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6825
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Between both of our ancient minds, Leoqueen- I can't believe we can't conjure up the images of the almond boneless chicken and the name of the place... GRRRRR!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

loved northland as a kid, went there alot till the mid 1980,s. hudsons had the electronics in the basement i think? played lots of atari& intellivision there. even remember when it was an outdoor mall with a haunted house at halloween time. sneakers&cleats rings a bell.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2500
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Sneakers & Cleats bought out by one of the existing athletic shoe stores(Foot Locker, etc..) or did they just go out of business?

BTW, does anybody remember a pair of thin white socks that we called "sanitaries" that you used to put over your white striped socks that you wore for playing sports? My team mates and I used to get them from Sneakers & Cleats during our high school days(1977-1981) before almost every athletic contest. They cost like a dollar so wearing them more than twice was rare. For basketball we would often wipe the bottoms of our shoes on the "sanitaries" of the opposite leg to get the dirt off of the shoes. They protected our regular socks from the dirt. I guess that's why they were called "sanitaries."

(Message edited by royce on January 05, 2008)

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 861
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

S&C was a fun place to work for the short few months I was there. Always had first dibs on the latest shoe fashions. A lot of athletes and attractive people shopped there. Myself and the other guys would race to wait on the pretty ladies that came in. Unsure what became of S&C though.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 336
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This mall is where I learned how to shop. I must have been 10 years old at the time. We had gone to Hudsons for some new blue jeans for me. I didn't get the Levi's that I wanted (EVERYBODY was wearing Levi's). My mother told me to hold her place in line while she went to pick out one more thing. People kept coming and standing in front of me until I was pushed to the back of the line. When my mother came back she was startled at what happened. I never let anyone do that to me again. How humiliating!!

(Message edited by Ladyinabag on January 05, 2008)

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have many fond memories of shopping there with my mother...who was THE consumate shopper! Every Saturday (she worked during the week) was shopping day. She worked at GM as a secretary back in the day when they were required to "dress like a lady". We would go through the mall from shop to shop. She had to have perfect outfits..matching hat, dress, shoes and purse.

I remember when Universal City Mall opened in Warren and she had ANOTHER mall to shop! Pretty boring Saturday for a couple of kids...but the good part was we got money to go sit at the counter at Kresge's or somewhere and have whatever we wanted for lunch!

Miss you, Mom!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1954, when the mall opened, I remember my mom and my aunt went there very soon after it opened, and they came back bragging about this wonderful sundae they got called the Penobscot, which was a towering concoction of ice cream, strawberries and hot fudge.

Around 1960, when we were living in the UP, we laughed about Detroit being in shock when it was -13 overnight. We thought Detroiters were being wimpy. But the bear, pictured above, actually raised several inches off the pavement that night from the cold.