Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Final Vacant Campus Martius Spot Filled » Archive through January 10, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 4418
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

was there anything new with the conference this morning other than the city approving it?

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 444
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks Chris_rohn..but I think we need like 4 more of them downtown.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6098
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Kid... maybe your boss (Dan Gilbert) can provide 1... 2 or 3 more... :-)

OK... the analogy with Rockefeller Center... what does it have... it's a mixed use development with entertainments (Radio City Music Hall)... AND it has a large skating rink out front with the official NYC Christmas tree... sound familiar?

That's what this development will have, although the rink and official Detroit Christmas tree out front are Campus Martius Park!

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make that a tiny skating rink . . . ala Rockefeller Center

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was mention of Cadillac Centre in USA Today

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couldn't find it in a search

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4307
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The more this settles in the less crazy the design feels. What we have are pretty standard streetwalls paralleling Monroe and Cadillac with a normal setback and no real interruptions of that wall. Rising up above this are irregular towers that should look awfully cool upon completion.

I think the renderings downplay how tall this will actually appear from CMP. 24 stories is not inconsequential...that's 8 higher than Compuware, and should be somewhere between 85 and 110 meters (Compuware is 71). There can be wide variation based on ceiling height etc. For instance, the Dime Building is 23 stories and 99m; 1001 Woodward is 23 stories and, surprisingly, 4m taller. Millender is 33 stories and 101m, while the RenCen sub-towers are 21 stories and 103m. The thing that I have to look at to remind me of the height is Tower Plaza, the tallest building in Ann Arbor, at 26 floors and 81m (likely smaller than Cadillac Ctr.). The lesson is, this building will have a major presence with its eye-catching glass towers at that height, plus it will have some girth on that large block. It will be visible on the skyline from the east and north. And, study the layout of the Monroe Block and the renderings...the two towers will kind of wrap around the Cadillac Tower, one centered on Monroe, one on the Square. That will have a really cool effect, with Cadillac Tower like a mountain peak in the background.

I'm just wondering how much of a plaza there will be on the part facing CMP. I know the irregularity of the site lends itself to cutting off that corner and making it a plaza, but I hope they minimize the setback on that part of the plot to pull this right up to CMP, and not have the overkill sidewalk like with the Compuware building.

Let's also not forget the consequences this will have for Cadillac Tower. Apparently it has not been talked about in detail yet, but we can expect some type of renovation. The advertisement will also be gone, which is refreshing, considering that most downtowns are going in the other direction. I saw a picture of Trump Tower NY yesterday and at the street level, instead of a traditional storefront, there's a 2-3 story Gucci advertisement.

Wpitonya
Username: Wpitonya

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Gucci advertisement is just during the renovation of that space into a 3 story Gucci store. I just walked by there yesterday

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 579
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about spending that money on fixing the states budget or spending it on more projects for the detroit area. Like spending it on projects that clean up alot of these neighborhoods with all the vacant & burnt out homes.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 446
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oye vay. CPU4346, I kind of missed reading your daily brilliance.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4308
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for clearing that up, Wpitonya. I should hope so.

Civilprotection...why should a NYC developer use his $ to fix the Michigan budget and "clean up" neighborhoods? This isn't a centrally planned economy...money is being thrown at this one particular site by one particular company and their lenders.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Civilprotection Unit:

How about you spend your own money cleaning up "alot of these neighborhoods" and allow private companies to do what they wish with their own money?

(Message edited by mortgageking on January 09, 2008)

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I know you are, but what am I?

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 447
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep writing your posts CPU. Please, don't stop.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11160
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

God you people are f'ing morons

How so. This is a project potentially being done by a private company. How would $1 of the project go to neighborhoods or anything else?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're the one expecting a private company to fix the states budget and we're the morons? What is the company supposed to do cut the state a check?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Im sorry this state doesn't care about fixing their mess thats been going on for yrs...I must be thinking about some other states...God you people are f'ing morons

What state? New York? The State of Michigan isn't paying for this building. Nor is the City of Detroit.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11161
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CPU - Why take the cowardly way out. Please explain your stance that it is stupid to be happy that a private company iw willing to invest in the city.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2497
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm thinking along the lines of the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle in NYC.

Yeah. That would work well.

Detroit couldn't even keep 1 upscale Asian restaurant open, and you are thinking along the lines of the Time Warner Center?

I am sure that the Mr. Keller and Masa Takayama are chomping at the bit to open up a Restaurant in Cadillac Centre...

And there is more retail there than in pretty much the entire Detroit CBD.

There are no similarities - in scale, in scope, in size, or in substance.

Boynamedsue
Username: Boynamedsue

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CPU-
Keep writing... you are sounding smarter and smarter with each post.
"Never mind...y'all are just to stupid"
You mean, we are all TOO stupid???

Learn some logic and proper english before you post again.

Boynamedsue
Username: Boynamedsue

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CPU, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 440
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHA! Billy Madison!

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New details from the Detroit News:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080110/B IZ/801100350

quote:

The center is a sleek, modernistic vision -- two 24-story towers of sculpted glass and metal that will hold 84 apartments or condominiums, a green "living" roof, a multiplex cinema, sports bar and 800 parking spaces.

Perhaps the center's most audacious goal is the space reserved for major retail: 130,000 square feet, along with another 25,000 square feet for boutiques and specialty shops.

During the official unveiling Wednesday at Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's office, developer Alex Dembitzer talked as if luring national retail chains to Detroit was commonplace.

"We are talking to a number of national retailers and a number have approached us," said Dembitzer, principal and managing partner of Northern Group Inc., the New York group behind the project. "We have no concern."

While it was far too soon to name names, Dembitzer said the project will attract "a combination of what people want and need" in Detroit. The retailers they are talking to include "multi-state operations, global-type companies. The kind of things you see in the suburbs, or some you don't see in the suburbs but want to see."

Dembitzer added: "We believe in the future of Detroit."

Downtown a retail desert
The current Detroit is a city famous for being a "have not" when it comes to retail. Until late 2006, there were more Starbucks coffee shops at Detroit Metro Airport than within the entire city, which still boasts a population of 918,000, according to U.S. Census estimates.

The city is home to only two multi-screen movie theaters and only one big-box retailer -- a Home Depot perched on the edge of the town at Seven Mile Road. The number of national grocery stores is so far below average that it's become a major political issue.

(Message edited by GreatLakes on January 10, 2008)

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, for those curious, the USA Today blurb is here: http://www.usatoday.com/news/s tates/mimain.htm

Nothing new.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6106
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the posts Greatlakes... must have missed the brawl...

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6953
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building design for the new glass covered skyscraper is ugly! They can do better than that.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 979
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is not a big space, and the pic in the free press puts into perspective for me how it fits.
Its not as big as I had first thought. It is strange looking, but I can see where this might fit in nicely.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6957
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's ugly. That building looks like a reject from the Guggenheim Museum in New York City.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 583
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats really amazing is how mostly everyone on this forum is so full of themselves. Just keep telling yourself and everyone that posts here that economy is going to get better and that the big 3 will bring jobs back. This mess has been going on for over 20 years. What makes you think those big 3 will do anything to fix anything. Or any of your corrupt politcal figures will fix or straighten out the states problems. Most people on this forum sicken me. Why be so full of yourselves. Face it this state and city will never see a big boom again. If it does it probably won't be in our lifetime. Before you start sending complaints that I curse to the main people who run this forum, take a step back and look at yourselves and see it from my perspective. Or are you that to much into one's self that you can't see the forrest for the trees.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 494
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CPU,

why stick around then? If you are so certain that things are so bad and won't get better why are you here? Only an idiot would stay someplace that they don't like and don't think will get better.