Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Wyoming & Schoolcraft & Meyers » Archive through November 11, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2138
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were, Chuck, although the two days after those photos were taken high winds knocked a lot of the green leaves off the trees. Wasn't a lot of color this year, although I did get this shot out at New Hudson.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 287
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936....I see a Pulitzer Prize (or two) in your immediate future; one for excellence in narrative non-fiction, the other for photography.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naw, my brother's the photographer. Took numerous professional courses, but he's still hung up on 35 mm.

Nice thing about that photo is that as a desktop photo, my two rows of icons line up nicely on the left side of the picture without covering up the branches.

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936

Thank you very much for the photos of the Birwood house and Al Pisa pharmacy.

One of the last jobs I did before entering the USAF in 1968 was paint the trim along the roof and it looks like it hasn't been painted since

I haven't seen the house since 1969, I was home on leave before going to SEA and my parents moved while I was gone.

I noticed they did change the front door on Al Pisa's. It used to be at a 45 degree angle at the corner of the building. I noticed where Jerrys Barber Shop and Kriss Shoe repair used to be look like that is now part of the drug store.

I'm gonna have to go back some day

Thank You Again Ray

Birwoodsis
Username: Birwoodsis

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray Thanks for the pictures. Funny that your posting appeared EXACTLY 43 years after I married & left the neighborhood. Our house looks not too bad.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 289
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, Birwood, Birwoodsis, Jjaba, 9936Sussex.....
I have noted the quirkiness of boundaries with regard to Cooley, Cody, and Mackenzie.

I am wondering (aloud) the southern boundary for Mumford; was there a lot of politics involved with determining the boundaries?

Ray1936

Post Number: 2143
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, jeez, Kriss shoe repair. I had forgotten all about him. He was a WW II displaced person who emigrated, and I never could catch his accent to determine his nationality. Do you know?

I agree about the entrance; it used to be right on the corner of the building.

Notice the brick apartment building behind Pisa's. Someone earlier mentioned she lived in that building. It is now a wrecked-out shell.

Chuck, I gotta pass on the school boundaries; was never very sure of them at all.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2144
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honored to have post #1 from Birwoodsis! Thanks right back!

The neighborhoods don't look too bad. I was bothered by the fact that the trash dumpsters are generally all stored in the front yards. Awfully dumb, I think. You can see two in the photo.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2146
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found this on the Social Security Death Index:
------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Albert PISA
Birth Date: 31 May 1907
Death Date: May 1982
Social Security Number: 375-34-8187
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Michigan

Death Residence Localities
ZIP Code: 48239
Localities: Detroit, Wayne, Michigan
Redford, Wayne, Michigan
Redford Twp, Wayne, Michigan

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5583
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, names like Kriss and Kriz are Czech adaptations. Ofcourse, it is always hard to determine, given that you try to sound American.
In jjaba's family, Yankel Yossippowitz comes out of Medical School, "Dr. Jonathan Joseph" and Moshe' Varshavsky is a lawyer named "Morris Warsaw." So it goes in Detroit.

jjaba, son of immigrants.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only variation in my surname is when it changed from "Downynge" to "Downing" c. 1600 in Devonshire, England. So it is recorded at St. Disen's Church, Bradninch, Devon.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in wayne dumpsters in the front yard are a no no, i miss the alley, my mom went from being rutkowske [german] to rutkowski [polish] to just ruth, like babe ruth sounded more american. that was during WW2, talked to my uncles about their old neighborhood, i guess nothing was better then hammerberg field.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 6:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember (during the summer of 1971) a huge baseball event at Hammerberg Field; folks were lined up at the ticket booth on the c/o West Chicago & Wyoming - looked like a really big deal. I also remember Friday night high school football games at Hammerberg; something like a "Game of the Week" involving schools other than Mackenzie - this was during the mid-1970s.

My family name was Tabachnikov until Great-Grand pappy and kin came over from Revolutionary Russia; the immigration folk changed our name to Greenstein. Twenty years later, to facilitate Grand pappy's admittance to Colombia University Medical School, our name was changed to Greene.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2157
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog, anyone who lived in Detroit learned how to spell Polish names; even the more difficult ones. Friend of mine, Jerry Maciejewski, legally changed his name to Machesky, and I kidded him that he did that only because I had learned to spell the original.

Polish folks are good folks. And I always wished I could Polka........

Birwood

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, Do you remember some of Detroit famous people in our neighborhood ?
Claire Cummings, he played Milky the Clown. He lived over on Sorrento near Intervale.
The Hoffa's lived on Monte Vista just north of Fenkell

Ray1936

Post Number: 2160
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh! No, Birwood, seems like everyone in our neighborhood was just a routine rubbydub like me! And except for the lumberyard fires, seems like nothing newsworthy or exciting ever happened in our neck of the woods.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 295
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birwood & Ray....I've heard more than one person mention that several Detroit Red Wings from the 1950s-60s lived in the area (roughly) bounded by Meyers/Plymouth/Schaefer/Grand River.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even in 1964 Alex Delvecchio was still living at 12352 Indiana

From 1953-59 Gordie Howe lived at 8556 Stawell

Jimmy Hoffa lived at 16154 Robson

Ray1936

Post Number: 2162
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was not aware of those facts. Most interesting.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for taking the time to look at it Ray.

I have some other addresses of people from this general area as well

-Lefty Wilson(Detroit Red Wings trainer)
9982 Mettetal

-Ray Lane (WJBK-TV) 8108 Freda

-Bob Reynolds (WJR-760) 8333 Pinehurst

These addresses are from the 1964-65 era. Doug Fraser who later became UAW President may have lived on St. Marys St. during the 1950's-1960's as well, but I don't know the name of his first wife to confirm this.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2164
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doug Fraser was in Lafayette Park by 1977 or so. Had the pleasure of picking him up and taking him to City Airport to pick up Ted Kennedy. Drove the two of them back to his digs in the Park, and then later back to the Airport. Doug was one of Detroit's five Police Commissioners at the time.

The Senator is pretty regular people when he's not politicking. (Imagine this lifelong conservative saying that!) :-)

Reddog289

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 4:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where i worked there was a ukey& a pole, they could talk, they would teach this irish/german all the bad words. the ukey drove a garbage truck and lived in detroit till 2002 does he have the stories, my folks allways said that blakney,s ranch house in farm hills remined them of marcus burgers.

Birwood

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can of you folks from the old hood remember just how many families and kids lived on your block ?

Here is a sample of Birwood, between Schoolcraft and Kendall, circa 1959
Thomas 3, Sprinkles 2, Gross 3, Finch 2, Greenleaf 2, Kelly 4, McHenry 4, Patchett 1, Dumont 2, Paver 2, Provost 5, Murphy 6,
Whitworth 2, Fouchett 3, Kanitra 4, and Cochen 4.
Never had any problems, played ball in the streeet, roamed the alleys, played in the vacant field, went to Butzel Pool, raced bikes, built push carts, played cowboy and indians or played army and shot mud balls from Daisy Pop Guns...never had any problems and a lot of fun

Chuckjav

Post Number: 296
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen to that Birwood.....your remembrances speak volumes of the Baby-Boom era; young people abounded. Detroit had a triple-boom:

1. Children born to a huge influx of factory workers during the 1920s & 30s
2. To WWII factory workers
3. To soldiers returning from WWII.

Incredible!

Mother_earth
Username: Mother_earth

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray 1936 thank you so much for the picture of the apartment bldg behind Al Pisa Drugs. Yes the third floor was my apartment, those were my windows (well there used to be windows). What memories you have allowed me to have. However, to look at this corner store and the apartment bldg and see what it looks like today is very sad! My heart aches for Detroit Michigan.....I also remember the door to Al Pisas being on the exact corner. Again Ray, thanks!

Ray1936

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building seems to be completely gutted, Mother_earth, although I didn't see any signs of fire on the exterior. Seems to have just been abandoned and then probably stripped by scavengers. Yes, it's sad.

Many of the homes in the neighborhood, however, still look good and show ownership pride. Unfortunately, in every block there is either a badly run-down home or an abandoned/boarded up one.

"You can't go home again" is such a profound thought.

Mother_earth
Username: Mother_earth

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray 1936....my mother always told me " you can never go back, as it will never be the same" but I always have tried to prove she was wrong...well guess what, she wasnt. I lived there from about 1963 to 1968. As I think I told you in a earlier post, I loved living in that apartment bldg. I always felt safe. I used to love to sit and watch the traffic and goings on out the window.
Thanks again Ray......they cant take our memories away from us!

Reddog289

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i went to dearborn today[warren & manor] cause it was nice out, well i took a detour. the dairy queen on wyoming is bundled up for the winter, mackenzie looks good enuff to not be closed, and well my mom,s house is still an empty lot, but the area don,t look bad. go to warren & wyoming for that. wondered whats up with the for sale signs on the wyoming side of the ford/wyoming drive in?

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all. Its nice reading this thread. Brings back some of my fondest memories. I lived on the corner of Pinehurst and Foley from about '63 to'68. This was such a cool neighborhood for a little kid 7-8 years old. so much to do. Butzel pool. Tower Theatre. RR tracks. I used to ride the train so i could go past the house of a girl from my class at parker school. I had the deepest crush on her. (are you out there, Gina) :-). She lived on Washburn right besides the tracks. I was all over the place, unsupervised. I don't remember exactly where it was but, does anyone remember the slot car track? Think it was on Wyoming near W. Chicago.
To this day, i occasionally dream of standing in front of all the penny candy in Johnny's party store on Grand River between Manor and Mendota. Thanks for allowing me to reminisce.

Birwood

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alfie 1a WELCOME

Posting your memories of our old hood is GREAT.

Did your ever go into Jerry's Bike Shoppe at Washburn & Grand River ? It was next door to Arizona Saddlery. A lot of Mounted Detroit Cops hung out there