Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » The Pick-Fort Shelby renovations » Archive through December 03, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2880
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm on the original side. Across from the old library and halfway down the room. Down from the toners.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5040
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oldred, where ya working now?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2881
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where I been. Watching it wind down.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope they save the shoe shine. I look foreward to them doing my Vans.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 312
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Patrick Ive just been in the building several times prior to renovation, so I know what its like on the inside.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol @ polishing Vans shoes

Patrick

Post Number: 5043
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oldred, im on the other side of nthe same building you're in lol.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2884
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought so. There's actually quite a few of us on here.

Patrick

Post Number: 5044
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Ralph B is here too?

Patrick

Post Number: 5052
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Friday they were powerwashing the brick facade. I wonder if the water pressure could damage brickwork that is nearly a century old though.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They still haven't gotten some graffiti way at the top of the building, facing Comerica Bank. Can't wait til that's gone.

Watching a pigeon fly into an open window, I wonder how much of a problem that is, until they get the building closed off?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1814
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"On Friday they were powerwashing the brick facade. I wonder if the water pressure could damage brickwork that is nearly a century old though."

Why does everyone always bring up this issue (in some form or another) whenever anything historical is being cleaned? THEY ARE PROFESSIONALS! Let them do their work; they know what is best for the material and it's final appearance.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why does everyone always bring up this issue (in some form or another) whenever anything historical is being cleaned? THEY ARE PROFESSIONALS! Let them do their work; they know what is best for the material and it's final appearance."

Yeah, they would have fixed 7 Mile and these other streets right too. Now it's as bad as it was before they reconstructed them 3 years ago.

Patrick

Post Number: 5053
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be careful putting all my faith in a restoration firm. Fuck-ups happen and they happen often.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 435
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather they do it than me. (proper English?)

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My personal, non-professional opinion: Any bricks that are damaged by powerwashing are too weak and should be replaced anyway.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 594
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i see pigeons (and their dead bodies and excrement) in alot of buildings. I can't imagine that's fun to clean up. There are alot of them (or were) in the Fort Shelby.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2511
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is very exciting to see this project go. I have been downtown lots of times as a kid and adult and have gone into many of the buildings before they were closed or abandoned. But, I have never been in the Fort Shelby Hotel - ever!

I want to stay they overnight soon after the opening and see what it is like!

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1824
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'd be careful putting all my faith in a restoration firm. Fuck-ups happen and they happen often."

Yes, and that is why all of the contracts are written as they are. If the sub contractor messes up some part of the process, it will be carefully addressed (by those with knowledge and those that have a stake).

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2919
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's amazing how sturdy that building is. The insides are as trashed as you would expect, but as we watch the renovations proceed, the old girl really seems to be standing up to it.

The guys taking the buyout say that is the only thing they regret, not being able to see them finish.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 252
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The picture posted in that other thread Detroit rises slowly is very good. Seems like they are progressing at a good pace.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They've cleaned all the graffiti off the top of the Kahn-designed Tower, and it looks gorgeous! As good as new! She's gonna be a beaut, folks.

Patrick

Post Number: 5205
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the deal with the building south of the Fort Shelby on Fort Street? Are the two structures connected? What will go in the construction parking lot off Fort next to Comerica? Will that just be parking?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are not connected. That's a print shop. I'd hate to see that building leveled because one, it's gorgeous, and two, it's surrounded by parking lots. I cannot imagine that any price the parking lot owners (Detroit News and Freep lot notwithstanding) would sell at would be more than the cost of buying out a print shop with its heavy machinery and demolition of a building.
I just figured the construction lot would become Shelby parking.
What I last heard was that there wasn't going to be a garage built, at least, not at first. Normally that would spell the doom of such a project, but there is the parking deck on Fort and First. Not sure.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3328
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks really cool at night with the visquine (sp) on the windows and the lights on. Like a big lantern.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not building a garage shouldn't be an issue for the hotel with valet parking. But residents will want closer parking I imagine, if they haven't already, will acquire that unpaved lot next door.

Rocket_city

Post Number: 484
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where will all the hotel guests park?

I saw the PFS last night after Noel Night, and every window on every floor was lit up. It looked fantastic!

Also, I was in the Scarab Club for the first time during Noel Night, and a friend and I were discussing how much the city could use more loft/studio space like that at that Scarab Club. Seems like a good candidate would be the print shop. I really hope it is not Madison-Lenoxified.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 267
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

like artists lofts/studios? There's a ton out there. Russell, 555 gallery, the new Ladybug gallery run by CAID, 4731 gallery to name a few.

Rocket_city

Post Number: 487
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah, exactly. I know there are a bunch, but I think Detroit needs more because there are a lot of creative minds here that need space. Also, I think this would be a good way for the city to attract the creative class from outside the region as well.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2085
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"like artists lofts/studios? There's a ton out there. Russell, 555 gallery, the new Ladybug gallery run by CAID, 4731 gallery to name a few."

...and that new one in Mexicantown.