Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Morang memories » Archive through January 31, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pats
Username: Pats

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim's corner drugstore on Morang and I think Roxbury. Had a real soda fountain. You could turn in pop bottles (always a varying number) for floats and sundaes. Nickel candy, lots and lots of comic books and all variety of baseball cards. Jim and his partner (can't remember his name) lived in apartment attached to the back of the store.

Kavan's - now there was a burger! I can remember as a kid my mother sending us down there to pick up dinner and going into the bar area to wait while they were grilled and being served a "shirley temple".

Pecars stereo store with the animated Frankenstein that moved when you walked through the door on Halloween.

Any one have more?

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Pats! Kavan's is a special memory for so many of us. I don't remember Jim's, but my HS friend Nancy married Greg Pecar a long time ago. Don't know their whereabouts anymore.

There is/was a long thread with memories of this area somewhere. Maybe someone can help you find it. It sure is fun to reminisce.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 1653
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim's had the best comic stand...many quarters spent there...further down the street 31 flavors...when that opened we thought we were in the burbs...how about the baseball diamond across from St Brendans and the book mobile...

Derone's hardware where one would replace their baseball bat or hockey stick...or bought their first model...and don't forget distinct store front for the shoe repair store...around the corner from the meat market...

the Pagoda Inn (best shrimp in the world) and Mr. C's Pizza ...

The dive shop where one's imagination could run wild...

Gibran

Post Number: 1654
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check out the civic center one...

Gibran

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yeah on Jim's...we used be jealous of that apartment..as well as the others on Morang...thought they were so modern...wondered who could afford to live in such cool digs...

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 321
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kavans yes! excellent burgers and those onion rings!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6225
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work at Chatham #8 at Morang & Kelly.

Then there was that Scuba Diving store across Morang from Pagoda Inn.

There used to be a restaurant at Morang & Riad, but I cannot remember the name (same block as Pagoda Inn & Mr. C's).

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Normandy Optical near Payton, Henny Penny (chicken and fish take out) near Riad (60s)
Pecar electronics....what a treat to hear master cut records in the hi-fi room with Macintosh equipment.
Kavan's, Yes great burgers, great atmosphere

Wasn't there a Lang Motors that sold triumph sport cars in the 60s/70s?

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 4:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Morang was the old stomping grounds back in the 50's for me. We lived on Laing, so we went to Ross's Drug Store at the corner of Whitehill - same deal with the comic books and "penny" candy that actually cost a penny. There was the barber shop next door and Joe's Tick Tock Market (previously called Birges). Joe was such a nice guy. My grandmother lived on Moross & Rossiter and he'd deliver groceries to her when she couldn't get out anymore. When she died, I had to go there to get some food for the funeral dinner. He asked how my grandmother was and when I told him she had just died, he came to the funeral. My mom was so pleased - we never forgot that.

Krupa's (formerly Nino's) on Morang & Riad, Dutchess Drive Inn where we'd hang out & play the juke box. Stahl's Market down near the intersection of Morang & Cadieux. And everyone has already mentioned Kavan's where not only were the "ground rounds" the best, but those onion rings were huge & wonderful. Pecars were friends of my uncle who still lives on McKinney - they used to hang out together & go to their place up north. I was introduced to the "modern" world of electronics there - my first reel-to-reel tape recorder.

Never went to DeRonne's much because my dad owned a hardware store on Mack (friendly competitor), so whatever that store had, we did too. Party Den (later Mr. C's) down near Riad was just called the "beer store" back then.

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That restaurant on the corner of Riad and Morang was "The Terrace", and that was connected to the bar next door.

I think in the earlier 80s it became Henny Penny, owned by a Lebanese guy. My dad worked there for a while when his factory job closed down. Early 90s it was a soulfood place.

I loved Pagoda! We used to get the special "J". It was a HUGE portion of really good almond chicken and sweet and sour chicken, plus fried rice, egg roll, and a dinner roll. The price was less than $5.

The dive shop was called Sea Side Diving.

The strip with the dive shop had dog grooming, butcher, dive shop, Hallmark/gift shop, cleaners, wedding, and the sav-mor drugstore.

Anyone remember the Curious Raven bookstore? It started out I think near the glass store then move over by the 31 flavors. Tons of comics there.

I remember playing video games or pinball at Mr. C's and Old Colony party store, before it was owned by the arabs.

Dex Walter bar... my grandpa, "Wally" used to frequent there and the one next to the Terrace. Had many Shirley Temples and bbq better made chips. ;)

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We lived on Laing near Yorkshire in the 70's. I used to ride my bike up to Mr. C's for a slice & a pop & occasionally down to 31 Flavors both on Morang.

Keystone
Username: Keystone

Post Number: 274
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vaguely remember visiting Dex Walther's Bar when I was 16 years old. Went in at noon one day and things got fuzzy from there...

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go to the Raven used bookstore all the time!. It's funny I was just looking through some old paperbacks and I came across a book mark from the curious raven. Dont forget the Towne Club outlet!

Pgn421

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keystone- Yes, Dex Walters Bar. a time warp!Late 70`s i used to frequent.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2509
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sitting in the chair while Dr. Aptekar tightened my braces...now there's a Morang memory that I have long tried to forget.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dex Walters.........it had the longest bar in the world!....and the barber shop....Gootch's!....

Username: 7051

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kville or anyone else,

Krupa is a family name of mine and there are very few in the metro area, any info. on the Krupa(s) of Krupa's (Nino's) on Morang/Riad? What kind of business was it?

Thanks

Elwoodp
Username: Elwoodp

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived on Beaconsfield near Whittier during the 70s and 80s. Bought my first stereo receiver at Pecars. I remember occasionally running into Kirk Gibson at various stores in the area during the early 80s. He was renting a house on Somerset near Morang that was owned by Ron Leflore. Gibson was a regular in Fat Jack's Saloon on Whittier.

Gibran

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Ron's House the younger kids (not I of course :-)) would ride around it hoping to get a peak at someone famous...the whittier, chalmers and morang corridor was sure fun during the 60-70's..

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My folks lived on Beaconsfield near Whittier from 1971 to 1986. It was a beautiful neighborhood, at least in the early years. Between Whittier, Morang and the Civic Center, you hade everything you needed within a short drive or even a walk. Henny Penny used to be on Warren near Outer Drive before moving to Morang. Kavan's on Hayes near 12 Mile in Warren still has great burgers and onion rings.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 342
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember Perrini's Restaurant back in the 60's?

Pgn421

Post Number: 325
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Perinni's, my cousin bought it and we made it into American Pie!

Pgn421

Post Number: 326
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kville- What was the name of your hardware store on Mack? Maskell?

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath, is that Pecar as in electronics? Wow. I spent far too much money I didn't have in that place.

Pats
Username: Pats

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my! I started something. The things y'all mention bring back some real flashes from the past. 1958- 1968 I lived on Beaconsfield about 4 5 houses from Morang. The house next door to us used to belong to Mr. Morang. Revisited the neighborhood a few years ago and the current residents are keeping it up real nice.

I clearly remember the baseball field/skating rink behind what had been the old convent for the nuns at St. Brendan's. Later one of the teachers (nasty man named Mr. Chopp) lived there. I think it turned into a credit union or something later.

Perinni's - I hadn't thought of that for way too many years. Thought it was so fancy to go out for a dinner there.

BTW thanks to whoever it was who posted the photos of St Brendans - I tripped across them in the archives.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 270
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Perinni's on Whittier?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6237
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember how strangely some of residential streets between Morang and Whittier take a funny turn. I had friends on Nottingham (near Whittier), and that street has a section that has the roadway about twice as wide as it should be where a slight change in the angle of the block takes place.

I think some of the other streets nearby (such as Beaconsfield) do this same strange twist.

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7051 - Krupa's was a small grocery store. Before that, it had been called Nino's, which I don't know if there was any connection with the current Nino Salvaggio's out in the suburbs today.

Pgn421 - my dad's store was Bachman's a few blocks north of the Woods theater. We were also good friends with the Vetere brothers at their store over on 7 Mile near Hayes.

For a long time, once a week after closing the store, we'd go out to dinner at Kavan's with a friend who owned a gift shop on Mack, and later Kercheval - always ordering the same. Our gift shop friend had to have her Manhattan with onion, instead of a cherry, and we just loved those onion rings I mentioned, followed by the ground round (they always corrected you if you called them burgers).

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2736
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Curious Raven was owned and run by Owen Murtaugh. Loved his store. IIRC, he closed the store on Morang and moved to a location on Harper near 11 Mile Rd., then fell ill and passed away several years later.

Yes...Pecar as in Pecar Electronics. I went to school with Greg's sister Mary at Bishop Gallagher. People sometimes confused Mary and me because we looked alike with our long dark brown hair and glasses.

Summertime1
Username: Summertime1

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dr. Aptkar was my dentist also. I bought my very first stereo system from Absolute sound.It was down the street from Pecars, about 1977. Kavans was known for their Brandy Alexander's hamburers to die for too. Dex Walter was a real bar. What great memories.