Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Forest Arms fire » Archive through February 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7111
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the only the 4th floor of the apartment building is badly damaged. Let us hope that the owner has insurance.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by there after hearing about it on NPR, the building was a mighty blaze this morning... It was smokey all the way over in Woodbridge

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4949
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

People's Records owner Brad Hales was also on channel 2 this morning. I missed what he said... did anyone else happen to catch this?

Yes, he said he was more concerned about the people who lived there who may have lost everything, and not to worry about People's Records because it will continue, even if at another location.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speculation on the street was that it might have been the result of an eviction, or pending eviction. The firefighters got on the roof of the ABC Building and were able to prevent it from catching fire. That probably saved the building because the wind was blowing all the flames in that direction and there are only a few feet between the two.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard a rumor it was some guy who had barricaded himself in his room on the fourth floor. Unconfirmed.

But, from what I heard, the new management was more serious about upkeep than the previous owners, who had allegedly played fast and loose with the books while letting the property deteriorate a bit.

All rumors. We'll soon learn more, I'm sure.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11498
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we get together and try to shore up those entrepreneurs, I know we cannot recover lost vinyl...but can we gather together to help them out and get Amsterdam restarted in another location?!

I'd hate for that community meeting spot to go away from this dastardly deed...

Gannon

Post Number: 11499
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL,

Didn't see your post...glad to know Peoples is going to survive.

Cheers!

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work for the company that put those new windows in....how sad!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4519
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pictures MDoyle.

My heart and sympathies go out to the residents of that gorgeous apartment. It has to be a great difficulty to suddenly have their lives disrupted, possessions damaged or lost and have to find shelter elsewhere in the middle of winter.

Hopefully there is insurance because it would appear from Mdoyles images to be restorable. The Galston on Michigan near the Senate Theater suffered far more damage during a restoration only to be resurrected.

galston apartments Detroit

galston apartments Detroit

Additionally, demand for housing in that area is good and will always remain solid due to the University and other stable institutions in the neighborhood.

As for the vinyl it appears that the ground floors were not fire affected, beyond the obvious potential for smoke and water damage, so hopefully the records were not damage.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 369
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

agreed lowell! buildings have come back from worse. deepest sympathy to our friends in the Forest Arms and to the businesses that were striving to make Detroit a better place.

most reports indicate "arson", although did anyone else see the fox 2 report about attempted suicide? do those reports jibe?

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that the guy on the fourth floor was about to be evicted so he barricaded himself in his apartment and decided to commit suicide by setting himself on fire. I heard this on the radio, AM 950.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a shame! Someone please take some photos and post them here!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2746
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look above for a link to photos that Mdoyle took earlier today....

Gannon

Post Number: 11505
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it were arson, doesn't that make collecting on insurance difficult?!

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2450
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard the barricade story from an EastDetroit firefighter who was listening to radio communications.

Leoqueen

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the story is true about the guy committing suicide with fire, then maybe that will make a difference.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in apt. 307 in 1970-71. The building was filled with students, longtime residents with no connection to WSU, bohemians and SDS members. The manager, Mrs. Shanahan, would walk down the halls at night, jangling her big key chain.

Themapman
Username: Themapman

Post Number: 239
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad no one was seriously hurt, other than maybe the guy who started it. Sad though, such a great building with a high occupancy rate in the heart of a great neighborhood.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 370
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for helping to sort things out...

Forest Apartments, 1905
Jacobethan/Anglo-Italian
4625 Second

Baxter and O'Dell architects. Cost $67,500.

Early Residents - William A. Nelson, draftsman, Great Lakes Engine Works. Arthur Crane, civil engineer. Henry C. Leonard, physician. John Weber, travel agent. Mauser765, photographer. :-)

Temporary penthouse added 1945...

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 717
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw i outside my window this morning at 8am! PEOPLES RECORDS and AMSTERDAM are so important to this neighborhood! I won't be able to bare it if they are gone!

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3834
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't be surprised if the building came back condoized.

Gannon

Post Number: 11506
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andylinn,

I DO so hope that you have been BEARING it all along...heh.

Unless there is some sort of nudist thang happening in Midtown that I'm not aware of...

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live at the NW corner of Second and Forest. That building was at the SW corner.
This is a huge loss for a neighborhood that has been on the upswing since I have lived here.
After I went back to sleep, I had a nightmare that the whole block had burned and all of the neighbors were surveying the damages. Detroit's finest did an excellent job preventing that nightmare from becoming a reality.
Still, I'm deeply saddened by this. We hope for better things; it shall rise from the ashes.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1848
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

speramus meliora

Leoqueen

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have seen worse brought back. Lowell's picture post gives me hope. If it can be it should be salvaged, rebuilt, to restore its historical status in the neighborhood. It would be a total shame if the entire structure was sacrificed, then replaced by the kind of condo architecture like the one going up now on Woodward next to the Whitney.

Warsaw
Username: Warsaw

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No! If Amsterdam and Peoples are gone, it's a huge loss for those of us who live in the neighborhood..

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is terribly sad for all the residents. i hope amsterdam and peoples can stay! please please! i've been watching the fire from my window all morning and it looks like it is solely on the fourth floor and somewhat contained. i'm sure there is a lot of water damage, too, though. it sounds like brad hales has a good perspective on this.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 335
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think it will be a 100% loss," said Wayne State University Police Chief Anthony Holt.
-Freep.com

Glad to see such positive thinking from our great WSU officers. Im sure he had gathered enough evidence by standing on the street to call it a total loss. This is a HUGE building and I would say that less than 1/2 was gutted and the rest is water and smoke damage. I dont see them knocking down such a large building when the facade is nearly undamaged. I do suppose it all depends on insurance.

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

brad hales just sent this email message through the stormy email list:

Friends,

I am sorry to report that Detroit's Forest Arms apartment building was lost early this morning to a massive fire. The building is toast. Our new location is in the basement of my apartment, at 5835 Third St., just south of Antoinette.

If anybody wishes to help out, how about sending a prayer out to the hundred or so people who lived there who are now homeless, and lost pets, and probably in a lot of cases, everything they owned to the blaze.

People's Records will continue on without even really ever stopping. Unfortunately, I have to just about start over. Everything there is under about 4 feet of water. Literally.

Also, if you have any photos of the old place, email peoplesrecordsdetroit@gmail.co m

I think we may be having a benefit at the Bohemian within the next week or so; details to follow.

So, if anybody wants to stop by the house on Third, Zac, Anibal and I are preparing the basement, and getting things ready for our newest incarnation.
That's today. I don't think anything can be done at the store right now; it's going to take a whole lot of sump pumps to eventually get all the water out of that basement. 5,000 gallons A MINUTE were being pumped in.

Phone calls don't really help right now; my voicemail is already full. Stop by the house on Third if you want to help.

best,
brad

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1839
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got some clothes and a winter coat I can donate.