Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Forest Arms fire » Archive through February 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11509
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Brad, if you know anyone in direct need, please forward them here...or perhaps we can start something off-site.

You won't know until things dry off, but I cannot imagine any of your inventory salvagable under that much H2O.

How can I help you get back on your feet? I might have some older hifi gear laying around that I could donate to a house system...a simple, but good set of stereo speakers and a receiver, and probably a CD changer.

Even labor to help clean things up...

I'd love it if the Bohemian benefit would be for both you and Amsterdam...I'd really like to see an outpouring from those THEY poured for in the past...it really was a special joint, and I'd rather not see her spirit leave the neighborhood.

Cheers in the midst of chaos!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7114
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

100% lost my foot!

The Forrest Arms Apts will be rebuilt. Housing is a big demand in the Cass Corridor.

Dissolvedgirl3
Username: Dissolvedgirl3

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, I hate to break it to you but you're wrong. My boyfriend lives in that building and he and I watched them put the flames out this morning. I spoke with a firefighter (chaplain) on the scene and he said the building will probably be have to be demolished. He also said that they've pretty much determined that arson is the cause. The details are still fishy but he said they believe a tenant barricaded his apartment and set it the blaze. I too have heard rumors about an attempted suicide but the firefighter couldn't confirm anything. This is awful. I just hope they'll let the residents go in to their apartments to see if anything is salvagable. I can't even express my grief really. We are devastated.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1834
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My heart is just so so heavy at this news. I hoped that it could be rebuilt, not wanting to face the possibility that this history would be lost in total. I just cant fathom seeing that block flattened after an entire century. How incredibly sad all of this is.

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just awful -- I always thought it was such a beautiful building. When I saw the story on the news this morning, the idea that the building wouldn't be saved never even crossed my mind. I'm really stunned and saddened.

I actually had Amsterdam and People's on a list of places around town to visit, but had yet to get around to it. I guess that won't be happening now. My deepest condolences to all who lived at Forest Arms or had friends/family who stayed there.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2451
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitfunk.com/2008/02/forest_arms_fire.html

Text description

Katie_hellen
Username: Katie_hellen

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My roommate's (dissolvedgirl)boyfriend lived on the second floor. Luckily he stayed with us last night, the whole even unbeknownst to any of us. As of this morning, when he went over and talked to a firefighter, there was no guarantee if he or anyone else would even be able to get in a try to salvage what may be left of their belongings. I know stuff is just stuff, but most of these residents are students and the elderly. It's not like they have money to throw around.
I'm glad everyone's alright physically, but it breaks my heart to see those businesses go. I won't lie, I just set foot in Amsterdam Expresso for the first (and apparently, last) time only a week and a half ago, but new businesses like that represent so much hope for that area.
To think that someone could do this on purpose is just too much. Having formerly lived on that same block, it feels like a personal attack, even if I'm lucky enough to have a roof over my head and all of my personal posessions.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3837
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It does seem like worse wrecks have been repaired. I really hope it's not demo'd. That building is unique.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3838
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a full ego and sense of self-absorption one must have to set such a place on fire, without regard to others' lives and property. Wow.

That is, IF the rumor is true.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, said katie_hellen, how many people did we know that used to, or still do, live in that building? Give M & B my best. -G

I knew the owner, Frank, and he is a hell of a guy. The type of property managers we need in midtown.

The Freep incorrectly reported that he "arrived on the scene at 1:15pm". He didn't...he was there at 3:45 in the morning banging on doors trying to alert people to evacuate. Character personified.

He invested so much of his time and care in renovating the property and encouraging new tenancy.

If i have an inkling of his strength and courage, i know he'll do whatever he can to rebuild.

Of all the places...

(Message edited by Korridorkid on February 06, 2008)

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 371
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

while demolition is an option, it may not be the only solution. maybe the chaplin wanted something else to pray about.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been following this on TV & I am devastated by the loss of a historic building and two fantastic businesses. People's is one of my favorite record stores...I would encourage everyone to help them in their recovery in any way they can, because it is difficult for a record store to bounce back after a fire. A record store I have gone to since I was 6 or 7 years old, Broadway Records in downtown Lake Orion, burned down a few years ago & relocated and reopened. Their stock has never been the same because it is so difficult to replenish your vinyl stock & recreate what you had before. This is a damn shame, and Fury13's comment, pasted below, nails it.

What a full ego and sense of self-absorption one must have to set such a place on fire, without regard to others' lives and property. Wow.

Dissolvedgirl3
Username: Dissolvedgirl3

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is M...Thanks G. It was really nice to see you in person this morning while all this shit was happening. Thanks for your help, kid.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must agree with Korridorkid and the characterization of Frank. He is genuinely a nice guy and cares about his properties. It's so unfortunate that something like this had to happen.

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just in the building on Friday night, my friend Andy lived there. It's so surreal that this whole thing happened.
I also have quite a few friends that live in the ABC Building who were all evacuated last night. It sounds like there was some minor water and smoke damage to their apartments, but everything should be alright. They were let back into their apartments around 9 this morning.

I heard that Amsterdam didn't make their insurance payment this past month and therefore they won't have any help. If everything really is destroyed, it sounds like there is almost no chance of the place ever reopening.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 718
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Birdie" is NOT Brad Hales. It's someone very close to me but not Brad - just sayin' that cause there are some posts after Birdie's post talkin' directly to "Brad." I really really really feel sorrow for everyone hurt by this disaster - People's, Amsterdam, the owner of the building, and all of the residents. What a loss. All because of some selfish ass hole who without thinking almost took 100 people and two businesses with him.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2454
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is not official that the man intentionally set fire. Thats all hearsay, and Amy Lange from FOX2 says it is in fact not at all true. Police say there was no barricade at the mans door.

Markemarx
Username: Markemarx

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This could be me seeing things, but with all of the speculation about the barricaded man, did anyone see this picture? Look at the center of the window I circled. It is from the WDIV slide show, image 18 of 31.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that's creepy.

BTW, does anyone know why the word "arms" is in the name of that apartment building along with a bunch of others in the city?

Jmarx
Username: Jmarx

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure if that is a person or a box-shaped object in the window combined with the tree branches in the foreground.

HOWEVER, according to the news report: "Fire investigators said a 47-year-old man who lived in the fourth-floor corner apartment where the fire started has not been found and officials fear he may have died in the blaze."

Now *that* is a bit freaky!

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 320
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That could not be a person, the heat would be way to intense to stand there. It is a shame to loose another beautiful building in Detroit.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arms is a common word to describe an apartment building in cities across the world.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In relation to the use of the word "arms", as matt mentioned being a common suffix to apartment names, I always took it to refer to the "U" shaped nature of the buildings.

The arms refering to extended wings of the building that frame an open interior of the property.

^Just a thought...

Dissolvedgirl3--I can only begin to imagine what a crazy time this must be for you guys. I know you and Katie_hellen will help B get back on his feet, but if i can do anything, i'll gladly do it.

P.S.-With regards to that photo...that IS the apartment where it started - first-hand reliability here - and while there's no way he could have been alive, that's exceptionally eerie...

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 639
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arms is generally used in apartment names referencing the fact that the building plan is an H or C or E with "arms" or wings that project with courts between them.

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In England, pubs always have names like the farmers arms.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan, is Andy G your friend?

Mauser765

Post Number: 2457
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Text description

Its branches

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 408
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More photos from the fire...

Markemarx
Username: Markemarx

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gg Mauser

Must admit, the picture is still creepy looking when zoomed out. The fire is unfortunate. I remember going there to look at a potential apartment. It was in the basement and had uncarpeted concrete floors. Not my style.

I am surprised WSU residence halls have excess capacity for the 100 displaced residents. I thought the university practically gave away all the rooms through the Presidential Scholarships (4 years of room+board). Maybe there are rooms in the UT and DeRoy Apartments. Very thoughtful move on WSU's part considering that Forest Arms is not one of their buildings.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 236
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it gets restored. They are going to have to secure the outer walls real soon so they don't buckle. What an opportune time for a rain/snowstorm. :-(