Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Civic Center on Kelly » Archive through January 31, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It closed, probably not too long after that, maybe early 80's. They also had a restaurant at Gratiot and Toepfer (8 1/2 Mile). It stayed open a few years after that, but not many.

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember eating there when I was a kid. ;)I think it was open in the mid 80s.

I tried the the Gratiot location once, not memorable. I heard it was shut down for unsanitary conditions.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Former Carleton Elementary and St. Jude student here. Took Drivers training at Denby in the mid 80's. Can't remember the teachers name but he probably taught the class in the 60's as well.

Last movie I remember seeing there was ET.

Have you all seen this?
http://www.waterwinterwonderla nd.com/location.asp?id=529&typ e=5

Dave70

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jazzstage, I went to Carleton Elementary too. Kindergarten in the 1975-76 year (Mrs. Boyes, spelling may be off...)and up through fourth grade.

The last movie I saw at the Civic could have been Tron or Enemy Mine, heheh.

Jazzstage

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave,

I was starting first grade at St. Jude at the time. Strange, sounds like we had parallel childhoods. Perhaps we know each other. What street were you on?

It's just as segregated now as it was when I went there only in the opposite direction. Too bad, that neighborhood had become very cosmopolitan for awhile.

Am. Indian/Alaska Native: 2 ( 0 %)
Asian/Pacific Islander: 1 ( 0 %)
Hispanic: 0 ( 0 %)
African American: 590 ( 99 %)
White: 1 ( 0 %)
Unspecified: 0 ( 0 %)

http://www.schooldigger.com/go /MI/schools/1200004880/school. aspx

(Message edited by jazzstage on August 15, 2007)

Dave70

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived on Riad St. between Morang and Moross. My name's Dave Anno, I hung out at various times with Jason Chamberlain, Glenn Langenburg, Rob Skowronski, Jeff Almeida, Tommy Lapadat, Mark and John Davis, Charles Brock... etc.

Yes, it too bad the ol' hood has become segregated again! And the decline too... damn, I really liked going to that area with the Sanders and Woolworth's etc.

I remember those Guardian Angel guys with their berets in the early 80s, I guess they were trying to protect the area?

Jazzstage

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of those names sound familiar. The first time I saw those Guardian angels was at the St. Jude Fair. They seemed at the time to be thugs themselves but I was no better with my feathered hair, satin jacket, pinstripped jeans and big plastic comb sticking out of my pocket.

Funny, we were just blocks away. I was on McCormick between Rossiter and Landsdowne.

Dave70

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL! Funny, I had a comb in my back pocket too. haha along with a fake members only jacket haha

I just remembered... Do you recall a Donovan and Melanie Gusek? They went to Carleton and then to Dorothy Fisher with me and I think they lived on McCormick.

Yeah those angels did seem a bit thug-like too.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 377
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G.A. Alum. Check out St. Matthew thread for GA t-shirts. The owner Chris went to GA and will do up your shirts as well.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 360
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kville: Did you know a Sally Jensen who went to Carleton and then Denby...by any chance?

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 245
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do remember her and have her e mail address - She was a fox although she was traumatized at a HS prom by some Eastside guy who wore Italian clothes...I think he became a professional golf caddy...not sure..

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue - I guess Eastside61 answered your question. I didn't know her, sorry.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hope I'm not to late to join this thread and share memories..I went to G.A..then st.jude's.........then St. Thomas the Apostle.(Harper and Van Dyke).then finally to Denby after St. Thomas closed..........class of '70

Jaja
Username: Jaja

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thx Harpernottingham for remembering the Chatham on Hayes(near Mayfield)... I knew there was one on Hayes....can remember walking into it (1960??)...
Does anyone remember the Jewelry shop on Whittier east of Hayes on south side.. I returned an item (I was 13 at the time) and got a stern lecture about returning merchandise...

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jaja:
I recall a jewelry shop and electronic store on the corner of Kelly and southside of Whittier (circa mid 60s) called Winsteins (sp?)sound familiar?

Jaja
Username: Jaja

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's it... Weinsteins .... I hope they went under!!

Pdombr
Username: Pdombr

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the jeweler you may be thinking of was Whittier Jewelry.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/2116341023/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/2117117776/ in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/2117115184/ in/photostream/

The stories I could tell about this place growing up in the 80s. I believe I gave a description on one of these pix.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5925
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at Chatham #8 (Morang & Kelly) from 1969-74 as a bagger and cashier. The Chatham over on Hayes was Chatham #2. I remember the Mr. C's one block over, and the Pagoda (name?) carryout Chinese. I also had friends on Riad (on the dead end portion near Denby).

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pagoda had the best shrimp I had ever tasted..still crave it today...30 plus years later...Mr. C's was great pizza...many a late night with the Kelly boys eating there...

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for what its worth..........I remember being in 2nd grade at Gaurdian Angel school (1958) and one day they dragged us all out.........I remember standing next to a lite pole across from the new church and all of a sudden..they hoisted the steeple up in place and Fr. Schuller came out and dedicated it.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Graduated...last class out of the old GA chuch 1960. Name droppings in regards to priests: Schueler (sp?), Petri and Kaufmann (monsenior..sp?). Altar boy..yes. Safety Patrol..Yes. Mrs. Buehl crossing guard on Mayfield & Hayes. Blank on Kelly & Alma.

14509glenfield

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok. Did you know one of fellow employees that worked at those Chathams named Phil Pfahlert. "Night Crew" type of person. How about old GA coaches: Koenigbauer, Stuckey or Cosgrove? My "diploma" says 1960.

Pats
Username: Pats

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Civic theater- ah yes being dropped off on Saturday afternoon, seeing a movie or two and begging to go to Sanders afterwards even if we had huge bags of popcorn.

Ah how I miss cream puff hot fudge sundaes. I found a place that sells the Sanders hot fudge sauce in Minnesota, but aint' the same.

All this talk of express mass at St B's - anyone remember Father Finnegan - who didn't know how to smile and about the same time there was a younger assistant pastor (rats! can't remember the name) but I do recall thinking he was way too cute to be in the priesthood. I think he taught at Austin HS

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandmother lived on the corner of MacCrary and Mayfield, and when my family went to visit, my brother and I would often go to the Civic Center area to buy candy and comic books at Cunninghams (never forget the lime green motif and white/black ceramic tile floor) then on to Kresges with the old creaky wood floor to look at the cheap toys, fish tanks and birds in cages.

When I became older, I would go see movies with my friends at the Civic Theater, but the first movie that I remember seeing there was Mary Poppins in 1964, and the last was Meteor in 1979. Also bought my first 45 rpm singles at the music store next door.

My grandmother's maiden surname was Young, and she was descended from one of the German immigrants who farmed that area beginning in the early 1800s, and some of the streets in that area were named after first or last names of members of her family tree, such as Celestine, Rochelle, Salter, Morang, Laing, Trombley and Young. One of the oldest houses in that area was a white farmhouse nearby on the north side of Houston-Whittier, where she was born.

I was baptised at Guardian Angels Church, but attended St. David's Grade-HS and Church.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1822
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a youngster living on Coram and Boulder. My parents took me to Jay's bar on Kelly after my dad's softball games at Heilman. I moved when I was 5 and remember visiting my cousin who lived on Lansdowne and wondering why there was glass in front of the counter at Domino's

14509glenfield

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders_field
Any chance that old farmhouse was on/near the corner of Queen and Houston-Whittier? If so, it became the new "A & P" after the demise of the mid-block A & P across from Kresges in the Civic Center. You knew of the Hobb's family? Pfahlert? Donahue? Barber? All GA however.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glenfield-

My grandmother had a yard glider with a wood awning and bench seats in her backyard, where she and some of her neighbors would sit in it and talk. She mentioned her neighbors names, but the only one I can remember is the Cramers across the street. I saw her personal phonebook, but cannot recall any more names. as it was so damn long ago..LOL!!

As far as the farmhouse being converted into an A&P that is interesting, and kind of surprising it couldn't have been very large? But it must have happened around the time that I left the D in 1981.

I'll get in touch with my mother, she might be able to tell me more about that farmhouse, my father was one of my grandmother's sons, but he passed away almost a decade ago.

7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still remember that A&P........big sign on front........established 1859......sigh...

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kville: Its a long shot...but is there any chance that you remember a Sally Jensen who went to Carleton in the late 50's or early 60's?