Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Civic Center on Kelly » Archive through February 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 849
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I do and she had a great prom ........ should I have her call you?????

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Given your level of dementia you can't remember what you had for breakfast!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7K, Ah yes the A&P sign/roof with the ""established in 1859. It's interesting how you remember minor details of childhood. That sign reminded me of an evening when my dad and I were talking with and acquaintance in the A&P parking lot and I asked what "established" meant and why the store was so old....I was only 8 or 9 but I did learn a new concept. Another treat at A&P was lingering around a waiting for someone to have their 8 O'CLOCK coffee ground....still appreciate that aroma and fond memory till this very day.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the A&P on the east side of Gratiot near Flanders in the 60s and 70s back when cash registers made those clackity noises, as the checkout clerks had to actually punch the keys, and the internal calculation noises with a bell ringing when the total was tallied. No LED readout, either, there was metal tags on the upper glass window inside that popped up showing the prices.

One late summer night, as I was getting ready to sleep with my bedroom window open, I heard a loud explosion and breaking glass, and it turned out that the A&P had caught fire. My brother and I got dressed and ran down Gratiot to watch the 3 alarm fire burn it down, and it was never rebuilt.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on February 01, 2008)

Eastside61

Post Number: 851
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DPD are still questioning GB as to his whereabouts that evening.....he was always in the alley off of Fordham playing with matches.....He needed lots of help.....I think he later went to barber college at Gratiot and 8 mile...

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Playing with matches seemed to be a habit with many young aspiring pyro boys back in the day, I knew a kid who set a large group of drought-dry shrubbery on fire that "was" decorating a small church lawn near my block.

My thing back then was making large "firecrackers" out of smaller ones. Heaven to me was traveling on a camping trip with my uncle and cousin to the Black Hills around the 4th of July, hitting the SD state line at night out of MN. We crested a hill, and lo and behold the bright lights of fireworks stands lining both sides of the road! LOL!

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue - Re: your question posted on Jan 31 regarding Sally Jensen - you asked me that question before (dated Sept 13)and I mentioned that I did not know her, but Eastside61 answered it at that time. Hope that helps.

Goblue

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kville: Thanks...you're right...had forgotten about the prior question...unfortunately ES61 spent too much time in the Haight-Ashbury district in the 60's...he loses it sometimes.

Eastside61

Post Number: 855
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kville - I discovered GB living under a bridge in AZ in 06....he needed a lot of assistance and is a true eastsiders BUT I have supported is Sally J needs with a lot of vital info etc...in fact there will be a conference in Traverse City in July to support is memory issues.....If you are in the area in July please join us....

Goblue

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kville: I received a message ES61's wife...she's got him back on his meds so its okay to respond to him.

Eastside61

Post Number: 868
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kville- GB will be hosting a Lowell fund raiser this summer in TC...his corporation will I am sure be offering a matching fund raising option to keep this Blog going....He will also be auctioning off his ONLY pic of Sally J to the highest bidder.......He is looking better since his face lift actually by a former Denby grad '62.....he kinda looks like an older Soupy Sales....or is it White Fang....Sally has even traveled to AZ to try to get him to move from the bridge overpass to back home but he likes his two room cardboard box that he has decorated with early garage sale stuff.....Come home GB......Come home again....we will take you back as an EASTSIDER....

Goblue

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again, I hope all with take the time to send Lowell a check for $20.

Eastside61

Post Number: 880
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about $40 for Lowell and I get a signed pic of Sally?

Goblue

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got a deal...the pic is in the mail...I signed it this morning!

Eastside61

Post Number: 895
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the 58 photo of you with your princeton hair cut????? I want the Sally pic where you have been cut out and I can do the rest with photoshop.......

Goblue

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh...you want the swimsuit edition...you didn't say so...the one where she was on the beach for Sports Illustrated.

(Message edited by GoBlue on February 08, 2008)

Eastside61

Post Number: 902
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES! the swimsuit Edition not the one with you and Larry, Moe and Curly at summer camp.

Goblue

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, okay...I'll print a copy of her Sports Illustrated shoot...thank God for Photoshop!

Eastside61

Post Number: 907
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I might have to turn you in ......The last pic was of Paul Lux's sister who taught English at DHS.......not good! My photo shop crashed! the beach looks a lot like the DHS faculty parking lot.....there is this guy with a princeton and barracuda jacket in the background........smoking Kents or Benson / Hedges......

Goblue

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At that point it was unfiltered Pall Mall...swiped from my father's carton. The pic is none other than SJ...on the beach...before her centerfold career.

Eastside61

Post Number: 910
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Popular Mechanics had a centerfold.....?????? There is news about SJ living with the Mapleridge mob listed on the Morang thread...

Goblue

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually it was the Harley Mag...great photo of SJ wearing a bikini sitting in the saddle of my HOG...playing with the throttle.

Eastside61

Post Number: 915
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Is she holding a magnifying glass when looking at the throttle????

Eastside61

Post Number: 922
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the CSI group were cheerleaders, too.......What did you save....the scarf....the yellow skirt ..... blue jacket.....????? read above about the mag. glass!

Goblue

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only magnifying glass necessary was to try to find the bikini...what a body!

Eastside61

Post Number: 924
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are still wearing those corrective glasses? Right? Rumor has it that the only mag. Glass that you used was to "burn" ants on the Fordham sidewalk.......?????

Goblue

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You didn't tell me that the TC crowd included cheerleaders. The least you could do is post some pictures from the TAR days.

Eastside61

Post Number: 929
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You never asked.....Probably spending time assisting Jjaba with his CT cheerleading routines......"OK" Jjaba...kick your left foot...show those wing tips....kick again...."

Goblue

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The least you could do is post some pics...then and now!

Eastside61

Post Number: 935
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do have a pic of you standing in the DHS locker room with both Tom and Jerry the locker room attendants.......it is the one with you bending over before heading to the pool......Tom is smiling..... Jerry is snapping a towel....go figure!