Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Lost Giant Movie Palaces « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6374
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm tired of talking about who's leaving, who's staying and who's text messaging...

So I thought I'd start another Movie Palace Thread.

I came across an interesting website that shows old black/white pics of thousands of buildings across America.

Among them I came across the best collection of old photos of the (1925) Grand Riviera Theatre (also known as the Riviera during its' life). Alas, this theatre, a John Eberson theatre was Detroit's finest Atmospheric theatre, and was located on Grand River & Joy Rd. 3 miles NW of downtown. It had 2,786 seats (2nd largest neighborhood theatre in Detroit after the 3,434 seat former Hollywood Theatre on Fort St.)

The Nederlander Organization used the Grand Riviera in the 1950's for their Broadway shows, but they left in 1961, when the Fisher Theatre was remodeled. Since then the Grand Riviera sustained a lot of plaster damage from a leaky roof, and was razed in the early 1990's. Sadly, it was arguably Michigan's finest atmospheric theatre, a true loss.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ ampage?collId=pphhphoto&action =browse&fileName=mi/mi0000/mi0 020/photos/browse.db&recNum=0& itemLink=D?hh:152:./temp/~pp_2 hh1::&linkText=-1&title2=Grand %20Riviera%20Theatre,%209222%2 0Grand%20River%20Avenue,%20Det roit,%20Wayne%20County,%20MI&d isplayType=1&maxCols=4

Another magnificent theatre is the Brooklyn Fox, one of the 5 flagship Fox Theatres built by William Fox in 1928-29 for the Fox Studio chain.

3 of the 5 giant Fox Theatres (Detroit (1928), St. Louis (1929) & Brooklyn (1929)) were designed by Detroit movie palace architect C. Howard Crane. The 4,088 seat Brooklyn Fox was arguably C. Howard Crane's finest theatre, after his Detroit/St. Louis Fox 5,000+ seat masterpieces. These 3 theatres were Crane's largest movie palace commissions.

Some of architectural details of the Brooklyn Fox are somewhat similar to many of the exotic flourishes that Crane used in his Detroit/St. Louis "Siamese-Byzantine" style theatres, and also including Mexican Baroque and Art Deco styles. Sadly it was pounded to rubble in 1970, after closing a year earlier in 1969. It was Brooklyn's largest theatre, and also a great loss.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ ampage?collId=pphhphoto&action =browse&fileName=ny/ny0200/ny0 255/photos/browse.db&recNum=0& itemLink=D?hh:61:./temp/~pp_Jw jF::&title2=Fox+Theatre,+20+Fl atbush+Avenue+%26+1+Nevins+Str eet,+Brooklyn,+Kings+County,+N Y&displayType=1

Enjoy!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2069
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pictures of the Late, great San Francisco Fox can be seen at the Theatre Historical Society of America's website

San Francisco Fox page

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 297
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How beautiful. It looked like you were outside when you were really inside. I love the old theaters. Too bad this one couldn't have been preserved.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The wall at the Redford Theater has a nice map showing the locations of all the neighborhood movie theaters in Detroit, ca. 1950.

I've often thought of trying to catalog which ones still exist, in one form or another. Movie theaters represent the great lost treasure trove of American architecture.

Gistok

Post Number: 6376
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link 56packman. I found another link that shows ALL areas of the lost legendary 4,651 seat San Francisco Fox, greatest movie palace in the "Palace" style of all time...

http://www.historigraphics.com/fox/swain_photo_collection.shtml

What makes the 1963 destruction of the opulent San Francisco Fox so absurd is that it wasn't located in some out of the way place, as was the problem of so many destroyed movie palaces.

The Fox (foreground left) was right next to the Civic Auditorium, a block for SF City Hall (domed building), and only 2 blocks from the SF Opera House/War Memorial (twin buildings upper left of pic). So it had a perfect location, but sadly in 1963 when it was demolished (due to a failed bond initiative to save it) because historic preservation as we know it today, just didn't exist in the American mindset of the early 1960's.

And since we're talking Fox Theatres... of the 5 giant flagships of the Fox Theatre chain, the San Francisco and Brooklyn Fox are gone. The Detroit Fox and its' St. Louis twin survive, as does the Atlanta Fox, the 5th of the Fox leviathans. The Atlanta Fox, known as "the Xanadu of Dixie" is well maintained (although it had a near death experience when telecom giant BellSouth wanted to raze it for a new HQ on Atlanta's Peachtree Street).

See here for pics and history of the largest theatre in the south, the 4,600 seat Atlanta Fox (the only one of the 5 large Fox theatres that didn't have one of the 4 mighty 4/36 Wurlitzer Organs that William Fox ordered for his largest theatres):

http://www.foxtheatre.org/history.htm

Gistok

Post Number: 6381
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, in case anyone wonders why there was no Fox Theatre in NYC (Manhattan), that was because the 5,888 seat Roxy Theatre (razed in 1961) was the NYC Fox affiliate, that showed their movies.

In Chicago, Balaban & Katz the major theatre impressarios (their version of Detroit's John Kunsky) dominated that citys' theatre business. In fact, I'm not even sure who the Fox affiliate was in Chicago that showed the Fox Studio chain films.

Balaban & Katz later merged with Detroit's John Kunsky and the Paramount Studios to form the Paramount-Publix theatre chain, of which the Detroit Michigan and Capitol (later Broadway Paramount) theatres were a part of.

56packman can probably fill in some of the details here that I left out.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering if any formers are aware of publications/archives containing interior COLOR pictures(Circa 1950'-1970's) of the United Artist or Michigan Theater when they were both still in business? I have viewed several black & white photos but its not the same.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 401
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't honestly recollect how GIANT it was....but, does anyone remember the Rialto Theatre on Gratiot?

As residents on the Black Bottom, back in the mid-60s, my family would occasionally venture out to see flicks - starring the likes of Godzilla, Mothra, Gidra the Three Headed Monster, and other Japanese puppets.

Also remember seeing "Hercules, Samson, and Ulysses" at the Rialto.

Those guys were some serious discus throwers!

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 364
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, thanks for the link and info on the Brooklyn Fox. Those are the first images I've seen of the Fox that was here in Brooklyn. Must have been something to have the Fox on one side of Flatbush and the Paramount just across the street. Now when my father-in-law describes his early days of walking from theater to theater in downtown Brooklyn I'll have a better picture of those times. Thanks.

Gistok

Post Number: 6384
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whithorn11446, I don't ever remember seeing color pics of either theatre.

In fact Theatre Historical Society mentions in their b/w booklet on the Michigan that few good (b/w) pics exist of the Michigan's grand lobby after the initial opening pics were produced. The faux marble (scagliola) columns of the Michigan lobby were considered to have too much "marbling" on them, and soon after opening the finish was redone to a much tamer look, but there's few photos that show this new finish.

As for the United Artists, I believe that it was pretty monochromatic in color (looked like stone), and much of the color in that theatre was done via colored lights.

But it would be nice to see some color pictures of both!

Chuckjav, I do not remember the Rialto. The only Gratiot theatre that I remember was the Ramona on Gratiot at 6 Mile, which from the outside looked very similar to the Grand Riviera (large rotunda was its' main feature from the street). Sadly, it too is gone.

Xd_brklyn, glad you like the Brooklyn Fox pics. I'm not familiar with Brooklyn (only ever driven thru there once). But was Flatbush Ave. sort of the downtown main business street in Brooklyn?

I vaguely remember seeing a pic of an old bank building with a tall tower also having a Flatbush Ave. address.

56packman

Post Number: 2071
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok--Paramount/Publix was a franchise "brand" under the old studio system of the movie studios owning a sizeable part of the theaters that exhibited their movies. There was always a local element in the regional franchisee, in Detroit's case it was Kunsky, in Chicago it was Balaban & Katz. The waters got murkier there as Barney Balaban became an executive at Paramount in Hollywood. Joseph Kennedy (that Joseph Kennedy, father of JFK,RFK, and "Oldsmobile Eddie") owned the Boston franchise.

It was a franchise deal, sort of like Little Caesar's

Gistok

Post Number: 6386
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny you should mention Joseph Kennedy, 56packman...

The book "The Last Remaining Seats - Movie Palaces of Tinseltown" is about as the name implies Los Angeles movie theatres. That book had this very scandalous thing to say about Joseph Kennedy and his dealings with the west coast Pantages Theatre chain...

"One of Alexander Pantages secrets of success - and also a reason for his downfall - was his policy of hiring only female ushers. One allegedly framed him for statutory rape, working as a shill for Joseph Kennedy, who, in the late 20's, engineered a hostile takeover of the Pantages chain."

"At stake was Kennedy's need to control theatres for the movies of his then mistress Gloria Swanson. Faced with expensive legal bills, the already ailing Pantages was forced to sell the namesake business that he had built single-handedly."

"In the end Kennedy took over the Pantages chain, once the largest privately owned vaudeville circuit in the world. A lasting relationship it was not - quickly tiring of the movie business, and more tellingly of Swanson, Kennedy sold out, leaving the Pantages chain in the hands of Warner Bros."

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav, I do remember going to the Rialto back in the 50's. Growing up in the Gratiot/Van Dyke area, the Dawn on Gratiot was the closest neighborhood theater for the neighborhood kids to spend a Saturday. Next was the Eastown and Rialto. Do I remember correctly that the Rialto did not have a balcony?

56packman

Post Number: 2072
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok--I met Gloria Swanson in 1975 when we had her live and onstage (to use an old advertising saw)at the Redford theater for several performances. I did not know the business about Joe Kennedy then, but I was just a 16 year old kid. She was 5-feet nothing, very tiny and quite slender and practically an evangelist for health food and vegetarian diets (didn't convince me). Every bit the star, but approachable. I wish I had known more about the huge names she had worked with, but she was a big deal in her day, and we talked a little about that. Read her biography "Swanson on Swanson" to see what a complete creep Joe Kennedy was--he taught his sons well.

Gistok

Post Number: 6388
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Kennedy was no better than an organized crime boss. Alexander Pantages spent 2 years in prison for those Kennedy conspired rape charges.

Ticub
Username: Ticub

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Dawn, Roosevelt, plus the the "shows" on Chene St. King, Home, Iris, Perrien. I used to ride my bike to the various theaters just to see the movie posters when the pictures changed. Later I started collecting the posters. I may be wrong, but I think the Rialto had a balcony, albeit a small one. Same with the Dawn.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 404
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ticub....Yes, you're right - the Rialto had a balcony, from which an endless barrage of paper cup & popcorn bag missiles were launched; it was a rowdy place in the mid-1960s.

We paid .25 cents for a Saturday matinee ticket - stayed all day.

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Teddy killed more people in his Oldsmobile than george Bush did in the Texas Air Guard.

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 202
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,
It's unfortunate that color photographs were not taken even though it was available when United Artist and the Michigan theater operated.

The only color photos I have seen from the Detroit Fox Theater were taken after it reopened in the late 1980's. I guess if the Fox had met the same fate as the Michigan or United Artist some black & white photographs would have to tell the visual story.

Of course, black & white pictures doesn't come close to conveying how spectacular those palaces' interiors were.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 457
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, Here in Nashville, they had several "movie palaces" and I have yet to find a picture of any of them. They of course have all been razed. I did find (in the Tennessee State Archives), one picture of the Paramount and it only showed the line outside of the theater and the marque. So Im not suprised theres no color pictures of those beautiful palaces up there.

Gistok

Post Number: 6391
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exmotowner, it's sad to see that many cities have lost most or all of their downtown movie palaces. Philadelphia, Cincinnati and Baltimore (and now it looks like we can add Nashville to that list) have lost all of their downtown palaces. And some cities such as Phoenix and Minneapolis, they only have 1 palace left downtown.

Even big cities like Chicago and New York lost a lot of their greatest movie palaces, both downtown and in the neighborhoods.

When people think of all the theatres on Broadway in NYC, one needs to realize that these are mostly smaller legitimate theatres that are not as fancy as the movie palaces (which tended to be larger as well). The giant palaces on Broadway... the Roxy, Loew's State, Capitol, Hippodrome are all gone.

Rather than being razed, the New York Paramount (1926, 3,662 seats) on Times Square met a fate somewhat similar to the Michigan Theatre here in Detroit (1926, 4,050 seats). They gutted the interior, but not a partial gutting for parking as happened here in Detroit, but a full removal of the theatre from the building, replacing all the former theatre space with office space. The only thing left to look at from the old theatre is the basement, and the reconstructed great arched window (which when the theatre was removed in 1968, the arched window was removed as well, only to be recreated in 2000 by the WWF wrestling federation for a shortlived restaurant and entertainment complex). Today the entrance of the former NYC Paramount is used for the NYC Hard Rock Cafe.

Here's how the NYC Paramount looked in the 1920's (same architects... Rapp & Rapp, as the Michigan). Note: the theatre portion is behind the office block.

And here's how it looks today (Hard Rock Cafe entrance) after the window and marquee were recreated in 2000.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2799
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 5:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Royal Oak Music Theatre celebrates 80 Years!

A milestone for Royal Oak Music Theatre : In 1928, mayor credited venue with bringing hope and entertainment

"So many movie-goers flocked to the grand opening of the Kunsky Royal Oak on March 6, 1928, 2,000 people were turned away from the festivities at Fourth and Lafayette streets.
Everyone wanted a glimpse inside the 2,200-seat movie house part of the $1 million Washington Square development. Kunsky Royal Oak made its debut with a ribbon-cutting ceremony, speeches and a triple feature starring Richard Dix in "Sporting Goods," Will Rogers in "Dublin" and Our Gang in "Playing Hooky."

Mayor Harold Storz told the crowd John Kunsky and his organization brought more than the "largest and finest of the Detroit suburban theaters" to Royal Oak. He credited the investors with bringing hope.

"It remained for an outsider, the Kunsky interests, to instill in us a belief in the future prosperity of our city and in the prospects of wonderful growth here," Storz said, according to a March 7, 1928, article in The Daily Tribune. ..."

Article at: http://dailytribune.com/storie s/030608/loc_localn01.shtml

FYI...There were historic photos of the theatre in the print edition.

Any idea who designed the theatre?

Gistok

Post Number: 6425
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen, that was Rapp & Rapp, the Chicago architectural firm that designed the Michigan. The Royal Oak was one of their tamer theatre designs. Also the attached 6 story office building was the tallest building in Oakland County when the entire block was built in 1928.

Interestingly enough 2008 is a milestone year for many theatres... Feb. 3 was the 80th anniversary of the Detroit United Artists (C. Howard Crane architect). In September it will be the 80th anniversary of the Detroit Fox (C. Howard Crane architect), and in December will be the 80th anniversary of the Fisher... although the old one (Graven & Mayger architect) was ripped out in 1961 to install the new one (Rapp & Rapp architect) in its' place.

(Message edited by Gistok on March 07, 2008)

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4088
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any chance that the architectural details removed from the Royal Oak Theatre facade during the '50s remodel were preserved/stored somewhere? It would be nice to see the upper facade restored to its 1928 look.

Gistok

Post Number: 6427
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13, although I don't know the answer to your question, my gut feeling is that "all that old stuff" wasn't saved. Back then old theatres were remodeled without any thoughts of "preservation" of any sorts. Ditto for the old Fisher architectural details.

56packman

Post Number: 2083
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

April 19th the Redford theatre will be celebrating its 80th anniversary with a special show recreating a night at the Redford in 1928 featuring the Hotel Savarine society orchestra, organist John Lauter, who will accompany the silent film "the electric house" starring Buster Keaton and dancers who will bust a move with the Charleston the Lindy and other 20s dances. Tickets are $25 reserved, $20 general admission. More information is available at the Redford theatre website and advertising space and sponsorship information is available in the printed anniversary programs, details are at the website at the bottom of the 80th anniversary page.

Saruthma
Username: Saruthma

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A year ago I moved to Terre Haute, Indiana which is the only city I know of that still has two Eberson theatres still standing.

The first is the Indiana Theatre, a stunning Spanish-themed atmospheric. It was built in 1922 with 1674 seats. The photos of the Riviera posted earlier share similar architectural influences. The Indiana Theater is still active as a movie house in downtown Terre Haute.

http://www.indianatheater.com/

The second is the old Terre Haute Hippodrome, which is currently used by the Scottish Rite. It was built in 1915 as a 1425 seat vaudeville house.

http://www.terrehautehippodrom e.org/ (not much on the site currently)

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 856
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2008 also marks 80 years since the Italian-themed atmospheric Capitol Theatre (Eberson) in Flint was completed.

Gistok

Post Number: 6430
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 56packman... I heard that John Lauter fellow play at the Fox 2 years ago during Preservation Wayne's movie palace tours. He did a great job!

He was playing the slave console organ up in the balcony of the Fox.

56packman... can you explain the differences between a slave console and the main floor console organs? Do a lot of theatres have slave consoles?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 934
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a true lost neighborhood movie palace. The De Luxe was built in 1918 and designed by B. C. Wetzell. It was located at Kercheval and Parkview and seated nearly 1500.

I recently acquired a scrapbook full of beautiful 8x10 photographs of the De Luxe's front facade, lobby and interior, circa 1919.

facade

Kathleen

Post Number: 2801
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beauty! Thanks, Ed_Golick, for sharing a photo of the beautiful De Luxe!

Thanks, Gistok, for the info on the Royal Oak Theatre.

And while we're listing the area theatres celebrating the big 8-0, what about The Music Hall? This William Kapp building opened in 1928. I know that this venue is known mostly for its live theatre and music performances, but we all know that movies are a part of its history!!

56packman

Post Number: 2085
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the scoop on 1928 theater openings:

Avalon 13303 Linwood
Echo 8962 Oakland ave.
Fisher W.G. blvd.
Fox 2211 Woodward
Little/Gem 58 E. Columbia
Loop 418 Michigan Ave.
Oliver 8639 Mt.Elliot
Redford 17360 Lahser
Wilson/MH Mad. Ave.

1926,'27 and '28 were BIG years for theater construction. 1949 saw a lot of movie houses go under and close.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 935
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Due to the evil television.

56packman

Post Number: 2086
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, there was a double whammy handed to the business in'49--the federal court-ordered breakup of the movie studios owning their own theatres and the beginning of television.

Beachboy
Username: Beachboy

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

..maybe i can help confuse the master/slave console issue...basically, in layman's terms, a "master" console (usually on its own lift) has keyboards (pitch control, like a piano), stops (select different sounds, one by one), couplers (map groups of sounds from a tonal division to a keyboard, sorta like a multiplexer), volume controls (rocker pedals that you push with your feet - they look like the pedals you pump on a player piano), and pistons (engage preset combinations of sounds & couplers, so you don't have to manually flip all those stop tablets).

in contrast, a "slave" console usually has just keyboards (including the pedals that are a keyboard made of sticks that you push down with your feet), volume controls, and some pistons to select preset combinations of sounds. a few slave consoles were furnished with a small complement of stops, but these were rare.

the purpose of a slave console? ...duets mainly, also mystifying the audience by playing music remotely while the master console rises empty from the pit (look ma, no organist), etc.

a famous master/slave console pair was located at the nyc paramount, where jesse crawford was the featured organist (and designer of the wurlitzer organ installed there). jesse would play the master, and his wife would play the slave unit. don't read too much into that, tho'...

56packman

Post Number: 2087
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beachboy--very good explanation.

Do you live in Milwaukee?

Gistok

Post Number: 6432
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks folks!

Kathleen, Music Hall (originally the Wilson Theatre) is the only surviving Detroit theatre (that I'm aware of) that has a 2nd balcony. Many of the downtown palaces had a horseshoe shaped mezzanine level with a balcony above that. But Music Hall, while omitting the mezzanine had a 2nd balcony, which was common in 19th century performance venues.

In the segregationist days of the 20th century, some theatres had a 2nd balcony "For Coloreds Only". Others used the back of the balcony for such a purpose. In fact many southern theatres with such an arrangement had exterior "emergency exit" type stairs for their 2nd balcony patrons.

Of course, the 2nd balcony of Music Hall was not built for that purpose. It was just modeled on a 19th century style performance hall, such as Milwaukee's Pabst Theatre, which has a similar seating arrangement.

(Message edited by Gistok on March 08, 2008)

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have pictures of the Royal Oak's original interiors? I've always wondered what it used to look like.

Swtlorrain66
Username: Swtlorrain66

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first time being in there, was when they still showed classic movies! I saw "House Of Wax" (3-D of course) and the seats where red valore material, the band pit was still there.
The LAST time I was there (before they ripped out the seats!), I saw Iggy Pop! (2nd row, too!)
At least they left those cool "goth-type" lamps in the lobby! I wish I had my pics! I snook my cam in...lol.

Magic_mushroom
Username: Magic_mushroom

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be attending one of my all time favorite movies (The Blues Brothers) at the Redford in a few weeks! What a spectacular place. Also, Anderson Indiana is home to one of the few remaining John Eberson atmospheric theaters, fully restored to its original beauty.

http://andersonparamount.org/

Beachboy
Username: Beachboy

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi 56packman .. sorry for the late response, due to travel .. i live in florida nowadays. we have two beautifully restored eberson movie palaces - the tampa theatre in the eponymous city, and the gusman cultural center in miami...both have wurlitzer theatre organs - played frequently!

tampa theatre:
http://www.tampatheatre.org/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =cwGBEyPNmaA [organ]
http://theatreorgans.com/mToS/ pictures/2006-ATOS-36-Tampa_Th eatre-stage.jpg
http://www.tbt.com/features/gu ide/article11460.ece

gusman center:
http://www.gusmancenter.org/ [nice pix]
http://www.gusmancenter.org/ab out/wurlitzer.aspx

and our 2006 atos convention pix (scroll down):
http://theatreorgans.com/mToS/ album.htm

enjoy!

Gistok

Post Number: 6495
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the links Beachboy!

The late father of Historic Movie Palaces, a man by the name of Ben Hall (who founded Theatre Historical Society), labeled the Spanish Renaissance style Tampa Theatre "an Andalusian Bonbon".

It was likely Eberson's finest smaller theatre, somehow perfect in every way... although it had tough competition with the Miami Olympic (Gusman Center), the Marion (Ohio) Palace, the Canton (Ohio) Palace, and the State (Kalamazoo).

The problem with so many of Eberson's atmospheric theatres was with so many exotic details to see, it was a wonder anyone had time to view the movie! :-)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6204
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba was a guest at The Tampa Theater recently for the American Theater Organ Society convention. It was a huge treat, sadly located in a sad-sack abandoned area of downtown Tampa. The atmosphere and organ are rare treasures.

jjaba, ATOS member.

56packman

Post Number: 2101
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beachboy--I think we must know each other--I've been in ATOS since 1972 (when I was 13) send me an email at 56packman(at)twmi(dot)rr(dot)c om

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple years ago there was some company carting old Detroit photos around to sell. They had one of an old theater I had never heard of. The marquis read either Family Theater or Family Fun Theater. I can't remember which. Anyone have any info on where that was?

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Family Theater used to be at Cadillac Square and Woodward, if I remember correctly. Gistok, where are you?

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The infamous Family Theater on Cadillac Square. The building burned down in 1973.

56packman

Post Number: 2110
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thar she be

in the family way

Gistok

Post Number: 6660
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That building didn't burn down in 1973... it was part of the Monroe Block that survived until circa 1990. If the theatre was detatched, then maybe it burned down, but otherwise perhaps the theatre portion was just gutted by the fire.

And on a different note... one of the folks on "that other forum" was making fun of my theatre threads... I just wanted him to know that movie palaces are amongst the most complex commercial buildings ever constructed... so when I'm talking "circulation space"... I'm not talking about the drive thru at the Taco Bell!

Got that Panchito?

Fho

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love movie palaces. Their design and history is probably what sparked my initial interest in Detroit. I for one appreciate the insight and pictures in your threads.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that the Family Theater was playing "Deep Throat" when it caught fire and the patrons asked for their money back while the firemen were running in the front doors.

56packman

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deep throat 1

Deep throat on fire!

Film at 11

Fho

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The FAMILY Theater was showing Deep Throat?

Gistok

Post Number: 6673
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Fho!

56packman, I guess I stand corrected... did that corner building come down soon thereafter? Or was it just boarded up like the rest of the Monroe Block?

Nice view of old Crowley's in the background of that one shot.

Didn't that tall building next to the Family Theatre also come down due to a later fire? Wasn't that the Realty Building (or some name like that)?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2829
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Close, Gistok. That tall building was the Real Estate Exchange Building, designed by Louis Kamper. And according to BuildingsOfDetroit.com, it was demolished in 1976.

Richie
Username: Richie

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody have a picture of the Kramer on Michigan Ave? It was abandoned when I started working at Cadillac in the late 70's when we would past it at least once a week when going to the Senate Coney Island for lunch. It was a starkly modern Art Deco building with a shiny black exterior, quite striking. I wish I took a pic but I didn't and than one day it was gone.