Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » ::: Mayor Kilpatrick Text Message Scandal ::: Mega Thread » Archive of Mayor Kilpatrick Text Message Scandal » Mayor Kilpatrick Text Message Scandal Archive - 1 » Question for Frankie Darcell « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 459
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Flashpoint today, regarding the KK scandal, you said a number of times "You don't right a wrong with a wrong". No one on the panel asked you exactly what you meant. If you read this, please post an answer. If anyone can shed some light on this quote, please enlighten me, because her statement left me totally in the dark!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3662
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think what she was referring to, and Beckmann called her on it, is the contention that leaking to the Freep was a wrongdoing on someone's part. Note, though, that she didn't deny anything about the Mayor's behavior and actually, with her statement, admitted he was wrong.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Frankie D a forumer here?

Buyamerican

Post Number: 460
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, maybe that was her meaning, however, what is the "other" wrong? If she feels the Freep was wrong informing the public of the secret deal, that's one wrong she is speaking of. What is the other wrong she's speaking of?

Yes, her statement definitely showed she felt the mayor was wrong, but I get the feeling she thinks it would be wrong to charge him with perjury.

I know she is his friend, but she is blinded by some loyalty to him. The cost of this scandal isn't just the 9+ million dollars any longer, the deal with the Conference of Black Mayors would have generated millions back to the City.

If I were a taxpayer I would be mortified, humiliated by his behavior and enraged. As a resident of Michigan, I am angry that this man has put the State of Michigan is such a position of embarrassment.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3663
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took it to mean a wrong on the part of the Mayor, followed by a wrong on the part of the leaker to the Freep and/or the Freep.

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 201
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LilPup said it right in his post.... when he says that she actually admits he is wrong by admitting that one wrong does not pardon the other wrong.

I was impressed that she and the others all admitted that the whole ball of wax is now in the WCP's hands....IMO, it always has been.

regards

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 202
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think WCP has delayed making a decision because she does not want to come out directly against Kwame, she wants to be after the fact ...she is gutless annnd playing politics, for her its not about right or wrong its about how her decision will affect her career...

regards

Broken_main

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckles,

What would you do if you were in Kim Worthy's shoes? Yes, it is her job to do what is right. Unless you are in Ms. Worthy's office. I certainly believe that this is probably one of those career making decisions on her part, but over everything she has to have all of the facts before she can make any decision. Who is to say that she has gather all of the facts or not.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 461
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you feel that it was wrong for the Freep and News to put the material out for the public (no matter who leaked it)? A confidentiality agreement between "private" parties is one thing, but when it comes to public money, nothing is sacred, it should be available to anyone whose tax money is being used to complete a deal.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3664
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it wasn't wrong at all as long as they've done everything legally on their end. That's why there's supposed to be a free and independent press in the US. If they haven't been on the up and up then there's legal recourse for that, too.

It's rather tell-tale that KK has been purely on the defensive here.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican...I think it was wrong for the Free Press to publish the information. I have worked for both(in my youth) and have learned that scandal sells newspapers. Free Press atty H Fink is the chief instigator of this entire scandal. They keep saying that the public wants to know and has a right to know. In effect, they too are responsible for keeping Detroit's eye black. But as long as they sell those papers, everything will be fine.

Former free press subscriber

(Message edited by broken_main on March 02, 2008)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is Frankie D a forumer here?"

Broken Main:

http://www.mix923fm.com/pages/ frankiedarcell.html

People, Frankie has been riding Kwame's back since 2000, so don't be surprised at all. Just ignore her and move on.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 654
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, let's just be quiet while Kwame continues to rape the city blind. The city's finances are in the dumper and he's costing the taxpayers millions through incompetence and arrogance.
The newspapers have an obligation to point out bad behavior by public officials. Thank god they had the balls to take Kwame on when no one else did or could.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3666
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course scandal sells newspapers, because the public wants to know, and has the right to know, if there is wrongdoing by public officials. If this were only about KK boinking CB without any cost to the city or abuse of power it wouldn't have the legs it does.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blame the messenger.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6390
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly Thames...

Broken_main... what are you talking about?

Kwame Kilpatrick is the chief instigator here... not the newspapers... I can't believe you're blaming them!

Don't you care how your tax money is spent?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2780
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frankie Darcell has always been an ardent supporter of Kilpatrick. In light of the scandal, I personally expected her to take a more lowkey role in discussing the situation. As such a steadfast supporter of his in the past, not only has his credibility disintegrated, but Darcell's own credibility is compromised in light of her radio audience.

Even though I completely disagreed with her support of Kwame Kilpatrick during his re-election campaign, I still respected her as a person of integrity. It boggles my mind that she would compromise herself to come out in his defense for actions that are indefensible.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3668
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The questions on her page are such a joke - which is of greater priority - crime or the scandal? unemployment or the scandal?

Well here are some questions back to ya: How many more police officers could have been patrolling the streets with that settlement money? How many people could have been given jobs with that settlement money? How many police cars, ambulances, fire trucks, fire hydrants could have been purchased or repaired with that settlement money? How many Detroiters could potentially die because the Mayor tried to hide his affair? Or is he hiding more? Is that why you, a friend of Carlita's, want this to go away so badly?

Detroits_own
Username: Detroits_own

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Kim Worthy is making this decision based on whats good for her career then there is only one decision...prosecute. Any support Kwame is in the city and split at best, I'd venture a guess that there is almost zero support for him the suburbs of wayne county. Kwame detractors are going to vastly outnumber his supporters. No prosecution, no re-election.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 657
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 462
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree with you broken_main. H Fink, the newspaper's attorney wasn't the one who instigated the investigation, the papers were. Mr. Fink is only their legal advisor, and in that capacity, he acted.
The public DOES have a right to know where its hard earned money goes, after all, it's not going towards anything constructive in Detroit like police or fire protection, public lighting or EMS. If someone working for the State was caught with their hand in the till, I'd be the first one at the State Capitols door demanding answers, as Detroiters should be at the City County bldg.
KK seems to feel that the City is his own personal ATM machine and he can tap into the funds whenever and for whatever. Every penney that the City spends should be accounted for.
Already, the Council has found a number of items costing $24,999.99, just under the $25,000.00 spending limit that requires Council approval. Is that a coincidence? Just like the Red Navigator which was leased for just under $25,000.00. When you start adding up hundreds of items bought for or by the Mayor costing just under what Council has to approve, just imagine the money that goes unaccounted for.
Detroiters are facing some very hard times and many people in the City are without the very basics it takes to survive, while their KK is living lavishly in the mansion, not paying one dime of his own money to live. I would be so outraged by this, but some sit complacently by and allow that to happen. Why?
Frankie Darcell has her head in the sand like so many others. She says she read the 196 pages of the deposition and pointed out a couple of pages...all of a sudden that makes her an expert?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who gives a damn what Frankie Darcell thinks about anything? Apparently, she's another idiot who, because she has a microphone in front of her face, mistakenly believes that she speaks for persons other than herself.

Figebornu
Username: Figebornu

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

buyamerican is a racist in using words like "light" and "dark"

Broken_main

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, of course I care about how my money is spent. I think Kwame should resign. If he doesn't then he needs to be ousted by whomever. But as a lifelong resident of Detroit and with family members that work closely in the media, I am just tired of all this crap.

Right now as I type, this scandal continues to make Detroit look bad. The media has taken the focus off of what is good and jumped on and magnified what is bad.

I might be personally speaking on this when I say this, I hear this at home, at work and anyplace i go. It just gets old really quick. I am a city worker who actually supported this mayor with a vote. I am also can say that all of the things that have transpired recently have changed my thoughts of him, his visions and his false level of integrity exhibited as far as running this city is concerned.

As a citizen of Detroit, I am just TIRED of the whole thing. This is definitely what happens to people who care about this city too freakin much.

I think i am finished with this thread

Ravine

Post Number: 2001
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main, be finished with this thread, be tired of the whole thing, but don't stop caring about it, don't stop wanting to know about it, don't do the thing that Kwame wants you to do, which is to be willing to forget about it and put it behind you. He's a fuckin' low-life criminal who has cost this city dearly, in dollars & reputation.
Please don't go for the ol' "let's get over it & move on" philosophy.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya Know...I do care about the city and the city's future. Kwame can do nothing for me or my family. He has lost my vote and my trust. he is a criminal and I am so ashamed that I was conned by Sharon that he was the best choice for the job. As I have known Detroit way too long to just give up on her now. I was raised here , schooled here and played here. That young thug, who accidently slipped through the great halls of Green amd White (with a grade point so low some community colleges would pass on) has not deterred my vision none at all.

My only suggestion now for Mr. Mayor is that he just leave while he has a chance. His ride is over, in my eyes.

Thanks Ravine for the encouragement. I think when I get off I will go get a much needed drink.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 210
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken Main, in your earlier post you said you believed the Free Press was wrong for publishing the information. That is real scary, when someone believes the press shouldn't report factual news. Was that a mistake statement?

Buyamerican

Post Number: 464
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"buyamerican is a racist in using words like "light" and "dark""

Excuse me? What are you talking about?

Ravine

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican, that was a light-hearted reference to the last statements of your original post.
If you are experiencing difficulty with finding the knee-slapping hilarity of the reference, well, I can't help you with that; perhaps the transmission was O.K. and the fault is with our receivers.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 958
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who remembers Watergate - it brought a president down, but the scandal and crisis made for a better, more honest and more confident America.

Was the Washington Post wrong? Did the Washington Post just want to sell newspapers - or did it take seriously it's professional mandate?

Ravine

Post Number: 2006
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the local journalists were "out to get" a local public figure, using misleading or outright false information and claims, discerning readers like me would pick up on the sleight-of-hand, and wholly reject the attempt.
In this case, much of what has been reported by the media are, literally, matters of public and/or legal record. This effort is more than a smear campaign. The facts are there. If Frankie Darcell, nobody that she is, would prefer that the local media not report those facts because they involve her pal and her pal's fat-ass lying spouse, I understand that, but she is out-of-line in calling such reporting "wrong."
If one keeps one's hind-quarters clean, one is much less likely to be accused of stinking.
Wrapping up a statement about Frankie Darcell with a reference to hind-quarters seems like a good way to conclude this post; over & out!

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 299
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, right on.

Did the media dig up this kinda crap on Archer? Sure, Archer wasn't without mini-scandals, but he focused on his role as Mayor and the media wasn't "out to get him". Kwame's problem is:

He claims the perception of him as a "thug" is unfair. Well... prove them wrong! Don't live up to the stereotype. Don't give them ammunition.

And the hypocrisy & arrogance doesn't help your standing with the press... (defiantly) "I don't whore around on my wife" and "I can't WAIT for the truth to come out". 'Memba those gems?

Kwame, take a lesson from Britney Spears. Don't give them anything to look at. Please! Put your political panties back on ;)

As for Ms. Darcel, I have a lot of respect for her and enjoy her program, but I think her personal friendship with the Kilpatricks is clouding her professional integrity.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 361
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Neal Rubin's take on it.

Let's give Darcell the benefit of an extraordinary level of doubt, and assume the Free Press was skulduggerous in its methods.
In that case, what she's saying is that any sort of bad behavior and corruption are okay as long as you cover them up so cleverly that your trail can't be followed unless the tracker does a bit of trespassing.

What he said.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 959
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting about Frankie Darcell: she was married to Edward Foxworth, who was head of the Police Athletic League. According to her, he was a domestic abuser. She wrote a popular book about her abuse (published locally) and, when it was published, Foxworth was immediately booted by Archer and the DPD - which has a zero tolerance policy on domestic abuse.

So, it was okay for her to publish the facts and ruin a man (who no doubt deserved it) but the Freep is muck-racking? As I recall, her book alleged that Foxworth's domestic assault arrest record disappeared and it was suspicious because he had so many friends in the DPD - so she wrote the book to expose it all (and provide moral support for victims of domestic violence).

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 593
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

let's start calling into her show and flood the lines. you have to sound sweet and apologetic to the screener and keep a leve head as you ask for him to resign.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 531
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ofcourse the paper wants to sell copies, but since the dawn of the "free press" the newspapers have an obligation to report to the community information they feel impacts the activities of their communities.. They did,,... big time,, and much to the chagrin of Kwame, who usually gets away with everything,( as most Detroit entitled politicians are used to), unfortunately got caught big time. In no way did he figure this would ever happen, as the scrutiny goes way beyond the typical I can get it past the Detroit voters group he faces,, The man got caught with his pants down big time,, Big miscalculation on his part.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: