Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Who remembers Finney Jr and Sr High School « Previous Next »
Archive through March 07, 2008Gistok30 03-07-08  12:10 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 438
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 5:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistock.....Yes...The incomparable Teagarden & VanWinkel.

Way back in 1970, they had a regional hit...."God, Love, Rock and Roll".
(I bought a 45-rpm recording of the song from SS Kresge at Grand River & Greenfield)

Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected anyone to mention Teagarden and VanWinkel.

Talk about Esoterica !

Only at DetroitYes.com

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember right Ramsey had a sideline business in antiques collection and resale. Mr Pierson , one of the first black teachers (Science)at Finney, also used a big wood paddle.

Oladub mentioned the racial makeup of Finney. I think he might be referring to the year that there was a serious altercation between an Italian kid and a black kid. The Italian kid won. The black kids buddies retailiated so then the Italian kid's buddies also retaliated. Both kids got hospitalized. There was supposed to be some kind of a race riot on the field which never really materialized. Some adult white vigilantes showed up and some adult black panthers. Tons of police in riot gear. It was the black panthers that got caught with guns in the trunk of a car. The school wouldn't dismiss us. We were stuck inside the school until about 4:30 PM. At that time the teachers, had us line up class by class in the north/south corridor. When they opened the north door we were told to run. On either side of the street leading to Chandler Park Dr. were cops elbow to elbow on each side of this little street in riot gear. As we got to Chandler Park Dr. there was no further protection. We had to turn back and pass the school to go home with many of us walking back up Cadieux. Dumbest thing I ever saw.

I'd rather remember the times when the student body would effectively close down the school because of scheduled Peace Marches against the Vietnam War. The administration would warn dire consequences if we skipped school but in all cases they were powerless to do anything when no one showed up to school. Many of us were at the Peace Rallies...others just wanted the day off.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas - When do you attend FHS?

Sumas

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 5:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attended Finney Jr & Sr High. Graduated 1971. went to Monteith College, WSU. Graduated 1975.

School Colors:

Marquette Elementary: Green and White
Finney Jr. & Sr High: Green and White
WSU: Green and White

Go green! I am an organic gardner, wonder if there is any connection?

Sumas

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re read, all posts regarding Marquette. I had Mrs Smith for Kindergarden, Henderson for 1st grade, Bloom for 2nd grade,Peterson for 3rd, Kiswiny for fourth, DeLiso for 5th and Mrs Fuerher (sp) for 6th. My 6th grade was pivotal for me. Mrs. F. took a personal interest in me and I went from a B/C student to all AAAA's. Half way through the year, she was strikened with cancer and died. Teachers really can make a difference in a kids life. For me, it was Mrs. F. in elementary, Stengel in High School and Al Stern in college.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6431
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Sumas, Mrs. Florence Fuehrer was a wonderful teacher, and also left an impact on me as well. I have never met anyone who had nicer handwriting. I changed my handwriting style to more closely match hers. To this day whenever I write longhand, I am always reminded of her. A wonderful lady. It was sad that she passed on so fast.

Mrs. Markey, known to many students earlier as a substitute teacher, eventually replaced Mrs. Fuehrer.

Back in 1986, when I was on TV throughout Canada for the Canadian CBC news program "The Journal" for "25 Years of LEGO in Canada" (as an adult fan of LEGO), Mrs. Markey saw me on the Channel 9 program, and called me up to congratulate me!

Another wonderful teacher...

Eastside61

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highlanders: Anyone graduate from FHS in '65?????

Sumas

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sister, Jeanette.

Sumas

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok: it is almost too funny you mentioned handwriting. As mentioned, I went from an average student to all AAAs. My handwriting is horrible. Mrs Fuehrer did not want to ruin a straight A report card, so she gave me an A 3 for handwriting. If I remember right. Each grade we got had a letter and a number. I think the number represented citizenship. She told my mother, I got an A for trying. I think she gave me a 3, because she felt guilty for giving me the A. Can someone please explain what citizenship has to do with handwriting?

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 147
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside61, My stepbrother, Gerry VanderHorst, went through Marquette, 9th and 10th in Finney and would have graduated in '65 had we not moved. I was a year younger.

Bill_rush
Username: Bill_rush

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to shake you all up- I graduated from Finney grade school in 1941. We had great men and women teachers to whom I credit all that I became. Denby teachers added very little. I watched the rise and fall of Finney HS over the years because my parents lived mid block Oldtown off Southampton. Sad testimony to the Detroit story.
At least we can all still point with pride to the tremendous success of the Saint John Hospital Medical Center of which I was an integral part. Oh also remember the Cadieux Cafe is still doing well.

Oladub

Post Number: 150
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill_Rush, I have photos of inside the Cadieux Cafe during the war years but what was along that stretch of Warren in those years? What went on in the Cannon Recreation Center during the war?

Sumas

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit had the finest reputation as a world class public school system for most of the 20th century.I personally saw a change in the quality of teachers from 7th thru 12th grade. The new young teachers were frankly lazy and sloppy about their job. I remember a friend, who got a poor grade on an essy she wrote. Upset, she showed her mother, who had been a teacher until children came along. Her mother was upset too. It turns out that her mother would have graded her poorly also. Her mom was upset at the failure of the teacher to correct spelling errors, comma splices and things of that nature. Her mom made corrections to the paper in red and sent a chastising note to the teacher for his failure to note corrections on the essay. The teacher was annoyed and wrote an angry letter back. My friends mom was a class act, she returned his note with corrections in red to his spelling and grammer and but no other note or comment.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas: I think what you are very accurately describing is the result of the fact that we hired hundreds/thousands of teachers in the 60's with little more than a check for a heartbeat. Education became the dumping ground for college students of low ability as a means to avoid Viet Nam. Professors aided the process with grade inflation. In short...the entire business of public education suffered. I had a similar experience as the one you described...with my son...when he was a student in the Kalamazoo schools...an incompetent teacher who lacked the most basic English skills. I do think that the situation is gradually getting better as the core of losers begin drawing their pensions.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB / Sumas: There were also excellent teachers who started their careers in the 60's....but I do think that teachers for the past 20 years have been better trained about meeting the needs of all children....especially with special education laws beng enhanced since there inception.....

Sumas: Dr GB is a noted Educator but what do you do ????

Michigan State University placed me in 1965 at Finney High School as a student teacher and I was very fortunate to have a great supervising teacher for the 12 weeks that I was at Finney

Gistok

Post Number: 6447
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Dr. Cierpial... the English Department head at Finney with the withered arm?

I remember someone mentioning that he wrote his doctorial dissertation on Sado-Masochism. He would always chuckle at misbehaving students and mock them by saying "hit me again, I love it"... :-)

Sumas

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do I do?

I am over educated and under employed. Have my own business, work part time for others and am a published author. I have been a dedicated volunteer for non profits that assist Detroiters. I also helped establish a 501 3c Detroit based Historical Society. I have been happily married for 34 years. Raised two sons who are successful adults. Both reside in Detroit. Own one residence in Detroit and am signing papers tomorrow to acquire a second. I am a stake holder in the next Detroit.

I am an insomniac and enjoy this forum. It did take me months before I joined to share ideas. Sometimes, it has been fun, othertimes, hurtful.

Who am I?

Nobody you might want to list on your resume. On the other hand, I have had a great life and life experiences, most in the D. If I died tomorrow, I could write my own obit now. I have had a great life with rich fullfilling experiences.I have touched many lives and in return they have enriched mine.

What do I do?

If you are looking for titles or reflected glory?? I do not have much to offer. I do simple things that I hope enhance the environment around me to improve my life and others. I do have opinions based on a life of experience.

Opinions are always open for reasoned discussion.

End of Resume.

Sumas

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 4:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

Dr Cierpial had two bad habits. He would (during tests) take his withered arm in his good hand and repeatedly flop it on the desk. His other classic was,"are you chewing?"

Eastside61

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas - Your hired and should be the CEO of Detroit and as a Highlander you have done well....I think that we EASTSIDERS support you efforts and dedication even if we live 2000 miles away from Motown....Hang in there and we will always back you up! Remember that many of us grew up in the neighborhood that eventually became FHS.....

Bill_rush
Username: Bill_rush

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oladub- Thanks for your interest. To the best of my recollection there was nothing on the corners of Cadieux and Warren except one gas station on the NE corner. Next on the west side was East Warren Lanes at Guilford. I don't think Cannon was built before WW11. At least I never went there. But did walk weekly from Finney to Hanstein for Manual Training.
I clearly remember Robins drugs with classic old soda fountain on the west side at Yorkshire before they moved to the big store on the east side at Grayton. Around the corner was Peters Barber Shop. Peter was from Germany and lost many customers when the war began.
Do you go back that far?

Oladub

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill, I used to walk home from Finney along Southampton to Farmbrook. I bowled at E. Warren if Maple Lanes was too long a wait. I was about about 12 years behind you. My E. Warren geography is best from Balfour-Alinosi's and Farmbrook-Mack. The Cadieux Cafe was more a place my mother's family went to in the 40's. By the time I was old enough to drink, I was in Santa Cruz.

Sumas

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highlanders, how sad that Denby gets so many responses and Finney so few. I do not claim that Finney was exceptional but we were a large school too. We had great teachers, so-so teachers and serious idiots. Has everyone left the state?

Chuckjav

Post Number: 455
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas....Mackenzie Stag Chuckjav stopping by to say Cheer-Up.
You Will Always Have Fond Memories.
Finney is a very cool school, so is Denby...so was Mackenzie (sadly closed last June).

As for the number responses to the Denby thread....at least 80% of them are from either Goblue or Eastside61. Same thing with the Good Old Mackenzie thread....50% of the responses were from me.

PS EVERY Detroit School....from Durfee to Duffield; Spain to Post; from Old Miller to Old Mackenzie....IS A VERY COOL SCHOOL

GOD BLESS THE NOSTALGISTS!

Gistok

Post Number: 6490
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone who went to Marquette remember going into the Marquette basement for Air Raid drills? Although it was spooky down there, it seemed pretty clean and well maintained.

Sumas

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the drills. It was spooky. My worst memory was when Kennedy was shot. Teachers were running up and down the halls in tears. It was frightening to see so many adults out of control.I was too young to understand the implications.

We lived on Canyon near I 94 until I was 10. I remember I 94 being built. They had seeded the berms with grass seed and straw. While it was still under construction, we would take cardboard and use it as a summertime sledding hill. It was great fun. It was about that time that skate boards were becoming popular and we would use the on/off ramps. The kids were real unhappy when the freeway opened for traffic. It was a great playground while it lasted.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to FHS in the mid 70's. Here are a few photos of the new construction at the time:

fhs 1

I will try to post a few more. I also have the yearbooks for 73-74.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fhs 2

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok

Post Number: 6523
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bulletmagnet... that appears to be the new English wing (on stilts) on the right side. I always wondered what those 5 arches sticking up above the old wing functioned as?

So you have the 1973-74 Cairngorm (yearbook). The entire time I went to Finney I never knew what a Cairngorm was (those were the days before the internet).

Then about 10 years ago on the PBS Britcom "Are You Being Served"... Mrs. Slocum said "It can get very chilly up the Cairngorms". I thought what is it... a body part? :-)

But I know that the Cairngorms, like the Grampians, are a mountain range in Scotland.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, That 'English Wing' on the right is part of Cannon Rec. We played our basketball games in there when St. Philomenia versed any of the rec leagues. Our asses were kicked by the inner city kids.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fhs year book pg 20 1974

Page 20 has two of my life long friends, and my sister.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 5:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, correction regarding your remark about the English Wing. Indeed the part of the new construction that appears to be on stilts is the English Department. I thought you were referring to the architecture of the Conon Recreation Building to the extreme right in the photo. My mistake.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highlanders - What year was Finney opened as a senior high school?......was it only opened for 9th graders or all grades attending during its first year.....???? I 94 seemed to be the Denby / Finney boundary.....what was the SE / Finney attendance boundary?????

Oladub

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 62-63, Finney had an 11th but no 12th grade. I assume that Finney's first seniors graduated in 1964.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O - when did you graduated from FHS?

Oladub

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Finney in 62-63 in ninth grade then moved to near Base Line & Mack. I graduated from GPHS (now GPHS South).

Just remembered, my locker partner was Andre VanOpdenbosch at Finney.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any 1965 grads out there??????

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't go to Finney, but my boyfriend through most of high school's father was assistant principal there. His name was Richard Taylor

Isle_of_fun
Username: Isle_of_fun

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denby had a lot of young ladies who at that time thought strongly about equal rights and the right to choose. I know this because a friend of mine from Finny High (Scott ) had a female friend from Denby who started a petition to change the DPS dress code.

And yes folks, I mean Dress, as in everyday weather, rain or shine us ladies had to wear a dress to school. BAH BAH Berrrrr.

I can not recall her name but she gave me copies of the petition and I circulated it around Finny. The following fall the Wonderful ladies at all Detroit Public School's could wear pants. YEAH to that! NOW that is what I call team work. I believe it was the 1967/68 school year.

A great thanks again.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can remember as a member of denby's swim team from 73-75, going to finney and competing - sorry, denby always beat them then. does anyone know if there is still a swimming league in detroit public school league?

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12468_laing...yes, a few Detroit public high schools still compete in swimming.

Glad you mentioned the Denby swimming team, from early 1970s. I attended Cass Tech in 1972; served as the announcer/manager for swimming team.
Denby swam against us - first meet of the '72-73 season...the Tars won.

PS See if you can name the only Detroit public high school to win the state swimming & diving championship.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a former inmate of Finney High Skrool. I busted out in the mid 70's and been on the lamb ever since. I have a couple of year books if any of you have request for photos.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 251
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chuckjav, i swam in that meet - 100 yard breastroke. who was your big guy who swam freestyle and when he would win, would take a victory lap? remember swimming in Cass' pool. you have me on the state champ - who was it?

Kensingtony
Username: Kensingtony

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm happy to find this thread about my high school.Class of '72 here.
I started the 9th grade at Finney in September 1968.I was very surprised when we were summoned to the Cannon auditorium at the end of that school year for a graduation ceremony.I wasn't aware that we were still considered to be in Junior High back then.I assumed that when I started at Finney(coming from St.Matthew's)that I was a full fledged high school student.Silly me.I believe the distinction(and the ceremony) was eliminated the next year.
Part of the expansion was finished before our class graduated.There was to be a first class auto shop built but funding was cut and all we ended up with was an overhead door and empty space.Out behind the shop was a dirt and gravel parking lot(now a nice paved lot,I believe).Under that lot lies the remains of my 1961 Volkswagen Beetle that was donated to the dune buggy project that our shop teacher,Mr.Carl Sturgeon,had going.We stripped that Beetle of what was useful(which,besides the pan,wasn't much)and buried the rest outside of the shop.
I
l'll post more memories later.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12468_laing....That is Too-Cool; you had a really good team!

Regarding CT's best sprinters of our era...you may be referring to T. Swigert or Mark Cwiek - both could do :23 for the 50-free; Swigert graduated in '71, Cwiek in '72.
CT's fastest sprinter (and team captain) in '72-73 was a fellow by the name of Joe Hill; he was a bit cocky...so, a victory lap - at a dual meet - would be believable.

Trivia Answer: Northwestern is the one & only Detroit public school to win a MHSAA swimming & diving team championship; it was during the late 1920s...1928?

Next Trivia Question: Who was Finney's 1973 DPSSAL Champion in the 50-free?

(Message edited by chuckjav on November 03, 2008)

Denbytar64
Username: Denbytar64

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember beating them in Football.