Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Street names in Detroit and how they came to be. » Archive through March 04, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 460
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was just wondering how a lot of the streets got their names. I know Joy Rd was after the car guy and of course all the obvious MLK, Rosa Parks, etc., but what about Gratiot? Was there a guy named gratiot? Telegraph, was it after Telegraph hill? Woodward? Etc? What about Boston and Edison, Virginia park etc. how did they get their names? As most of you know, I now reside in Nashville (YUCK) and I've always wondered why no Johnny Cash Street or Loretta Lynn Blvd. etc. I know a lot of the names are for the first settlers as are most city street names. Will be interesting to find out about some of the Detroit streets.

Sorry if there was an old thread on this, I did a search and didnt find one.
Thanks. EX

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1975
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Detroit, a lot of the North-South street names within a mile or two of the river are taken from the name of the owner of the land when it was still a farm (Cass Avenue was the east end of Lewis Cass' property), esp. the French ones: Joseph Campau, Brush, etc.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4120
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodward comes from Augustus Woodward, sent from DC to rebuild the city after the fire in 1805 or so.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 420
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The dividing lines found on some of Detroit's roads are not - I repeat - are not named for the Detroit recording group known as The White Stripes.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Off the top of my head:

Cass Ave: Lewis Cass, mentioned above.
John R: for Governor John R. Williams.
Woodward: for Judge Woodward.

http://info.detnews.com/redesi gn/history/story/historytempla te.cfm?id=205

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4121
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what Indian Village is named for??

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1978
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wonder what Indian Village is named for??

the two main streets of IV are iroquois and seminole.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on March 04, 2008)

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 603
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alter was for (I believe) John Alter - a ribbon farm owner...

Griswold was for a governor of Connecticut;

Brush was Detroit second appointed mayor and held a variety of other posts;

Fort and Shelby were named after Fort Shelby and Shelby was governor of Kentucky who sent troops to Michigan in the war of 1812;

Randolph was a statesman in Virginia;

John R. was a bank president and he named the street after himself (no mention of him being governor in this article - I didn't think he was one but could be wrong)

State was named that because it was created in 1835 and the state capitol used to reside on it;

Bagley was a former MI governor;

Chandler was a former mayor and founder of the Republican party;

Gratiot after Fort Gratiot up near Port Huron;

Larned was a war of 1812 general...

more here:

http://info.detnews.com/redesi gn/history/story/historytempla te.cfm?id=199

Single_malt
Username: Single_malt

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think...and repeat I think Dequindre and Van Dyke were both ribbon farm owners too. If they only knew how popular their names would really be.

Wsu98
Username: Wsu98

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elizabeth was the daughter of John R

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7771
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.geocities.com/histm ich/streetname.html

Evelyn

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mistake. He was a mayor of Detroit, not governor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J ohn_R._Williams

Anniedawg25
Username: Anniedawg25

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always wondered about John R.

I mean, why not a last name? So random!

Thanks for link digitalvision....it was great

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2789
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Second Avenue was named after the number 2.

Evelyn

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Lodge was also a mayor of Detroit.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Silas Farmer's 1884 "The History of Detroit and Michigan" devotes Chapter LXXXVIII to Detroit Street Names and their Origins. You can read it on-line at Google Books by clicking here and then typing the page number "937" in the box at the top of the reader window.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's talk E-W streets on the west side. I'm thinking of all the mile and half-mile roads that aren't just X Mile Road: Warren, Tireman, Joy, Chicago, Plymouth, Fullerton, Schoolcraft, Lyndon, Fenkell, Puritan, McNichols, Curtis.

Henry Rowe Schoolcraft was an explorer who discovered the source of the Mississippi River and named several of Michigan's counties. Fr. William McNichols was president of U of D when it bought the land at the current McNichols - Livernois campus. How about the others?

Evelyn

Post Number: 150

I’ve got a question. I know Woodward is M-1 and Gratiot is M-3. Which road is M-2? Is it in Detroit?

Also, I thought I saw a book at the DPL that was about the stories behind Detroit’s streets. Can’t remember the title, though.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ironically, John Lodge(Mayor 1927-1928) never owned a car or had a drivers license.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard that Williams Street was also named after John R. Williams.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gratiot (and Ft Gratiot) are named after Col. Charles Gratiot, who helped drive the British out of Michigan in the War of 1812 and later headed the Detroit garrison. There's a lot about street names on pages 239-242 of the Detroit Almanac. The DPL main branch has an old book, by a Catholic nun -- Sr Rosalie or something like that -- which also gives the histories of many streets.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit: the story of some street names
Rosalita, Sister, 1892-

Publisher: Wayne Univ. Press
Pub date: [1951]
Pages: 20 p.
Item info: 6 copies available at Main Library

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can look here.
http://www.historydetroit.com/ streets.asp

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5432
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My ears keep ringing.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Evelyn,

There is no M-2, possibly because there is a US-2 in the Upper Peninsula.

Prof. Scott

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2168
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crooks out in Birmingham was named after some lawyers I know.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5433
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Nixon/Bluett intersection in Ann Arbor.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5434
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one isn't around here, but the sign for "Big Bone Lick" on I-75 in Kentucky always gives me a sophmoric chuckle.

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M-2 was also briefly used to describe a planned expansion of West Rd. downriver into a full highway or freeway linking I-75 and I-275. That plan was quickly killed by the people living along that corridor.

Telegraph Rd., as I understand it, is just named that because that's was a major path for telegraph wires at one time. It's a pretty common road name for that reason.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 848
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a bit off topic, as it doesn't directly apply to Detroit, but ...

The link here is from the state archives. There are a bunch of early 20th century maps. On the Goodrich map you'll find some pretty wacky directions, like: turn right at lumber yard 1.7 miles, take left veer 2.1 miles to old barn, cross bridge take right fork ...

These kind of directions were standard stuff before roads were actually given names.

Out in Commerce Twp, I had some ancestors that lived on a road that didn't get a real name until the 1940s.

The real push to name rural roads was an effort by AAA ... the road service and insurance guys.