Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Street names in Detroit and how they came to be. » Archive through March 05, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5435
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Out in Commerce Twp, I had some ancestors that lived on a road that didn't get a real name until the 1940s.

I bet they named it "Commerce Road" like all the other roads in Commerce Twp.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 849
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carey road, actually, but I get what you mean.

I love driving east on South Commerce road until I get to Commerce road. Those folks deserve their traffic jams, talk about some bassackwards people.

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Groesbeck was also a governor of Michigan. He was from
Warren, Michigan and is buried at Woodlawn Cemetery on Woodward between 7 & 8 Mile Roads.
Many of the people that our streets are named for can be
found at Woodlawn Cemetery. It's a fascinating place for
Detroit history buffs.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5438
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, Carey road. That road is still dirt in some places. Used to deliver pizza out that way years ago.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5439
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, actually it's part of Cooley at the Northern end of Carey that is still dirt.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Books.google rocks- thanks for the link, Mikeg!

Deteamster- That fact makes me very happy, for some reason.

Alan55- I think you’re right. Lucky guy had two streets named after him.

Elmwood cemetery also has its share of infamous Detroiters. Around Halloween, they offer really neat tours.

One street name I’ve often wondered about: Sproat, near downtown.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Elmwood named after the cemetery or vice versa?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 851
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL-

Yes, that's the road, maybe you delivered pizza to the old family home. It's still there and down in the creepy michigan basement is a handprint in the cement of one of my dead relatives. yr 1881

now, back to your regularly scheduled thread ...

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Almanac has a good section covering street names and how they came to be. The Almanac should be required reading for this forum.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 365
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Per Mikeg's link, found an interesting reference to an ancestor that had Messmore Road named after their farm on that road, but it was then later changed to 18th Street with another part changed to Linwood.

Funny how many of the streets on the west side were renamed to 3rd, 4th, 5th and so on, while the east side didn't get hit with the renaming of streets into numerals. Must be some obscure bit of history with that.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1978
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Originally, all these streets, especially close to downtown, were a messy patchwork of north-south roads, based on those old "ribbon farms." In other words, these property claims were deeded by the King of France in the 1700s. What a mess.

Now, take a look at claim maps of old Detroit: The east side has almost been entirely claimed by farms that go north by northwest, west by northwest, etc. There must have been no way to try to reorder that into numbered streets.

But the west side's private claims all faced the same way, roughly north-south. Indexing those streets by numbers was likely easier to do, and I'll bet that's why they did it there.

But I'm just guessing. Anybody know the origin of our numbered west-side streets?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5254
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tyrone Street off of Moross was named after the Dave Chappelle character.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1979
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the old names are more fun.

Plaza Drive used to be Jones Street.

Temple Street used to be Bagg Street.

Mack Avenue near I-75 used to be Rowena Street.

And, of course, Martin Luther King Boulevard (no Jr.?) was once Myrtle.

Anybody remember what Berry Gordy Jr. Boulevard used to be called. :-)

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An aside... the spokewheel-like design of downtown was based on Pierre L'Enfant’s city designs for Washington D.C. Early proposals for downtown Detroit look a bit like pinwheels instead of streets.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2816
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buchanan Street was named for the 15th President of the United States. Up around where Lawton crosses it lies a small parallel street north of Buchanan. It is Breckenridge, named for Buchanan's Vice President.

For some reason that always fascinated me.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Junction used to be called Lover's Lane.

Pussygirl313
Username: Pussygirl313

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The streets in Indian Village are named after Indian Tribes. I think.
Seems like most streets were named after someone.
This tread is fun.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know the history of Snowden street on the West side?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 667
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 1950's, in a nod to Detroit's French heritage, the new streets in Lafayette Park were given French names: Joliet, Nicolet, Cherboneau, Chateaufort, and Navarre Place.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 461
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, so did the developer of the Chateau Novi Mobile Home Park:

Rousseau
La Roi
Pierre
La Fleur
Charlemagne
Miquelon
Marquant

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 318
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, I grew up in Commerce and am really getting a kick out of all these replies. It used to be a nice quiet place to live until the M-5 mess. I think Commerce Road intersects with...Commerce Road. Must be the nexxus of the universe.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 374
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite is still Boner Rd in southwest St.Clair County. Its about a mile south of and parallel to-..yup!.. 69!

Ok, immature, I know. But still my favorite.
And for all of you whos minds are in the gutter, check out Hiscock street in Ann arbor.And Ill spare you the bad puns.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4711
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How big was that beaver anyway?

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Lincoln Park is the intersection of Dix Rd. and Champaign Street. A popular saying in these parts is, I knew a girl who lived on Champaign and Dix.

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if 16 Mile Road was ever Big Beaver in Sterling Heights? It would have crossed Mound Road then.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Cadieux?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 668
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Field Avenue is named after Moses Wheelock Field, as is Wheelock on the west side. He named Kercheval after his wife, Mary, and Agnes after his daughter. His mid-1800's house still graces Field Avenue.

Hurlbut Street and the Hurlbut Memorial Gate at Waterworks Park are named after Chauncey Hurlbut, an early Water Commissioner.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The wife and I saw Bare Naked Ladies a few years ago and the singer did a monologue about how marvelous it was as they were coming down I-75 that not only do we have a "Big Beaver Road" but that somehow it managed to be Exit 69.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Otter: I found this, I don't know if it's the absolute answer, but...

"Grosse Pointe Farms, Wayne County. The present Grosse Pointe Farms and Grosse Pointe City comprised one village, so incorporated in 1880; the City broke off on the liquor issue in 1893, and the Farms was incorporated as a village in 1893 and a city in 1949; given a post office as Grosse Pointe Farms on Dec 28, 1898, with Frank R. Cadieux as it's first postmaster"

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6401
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know how true this is, but I remember reading somewhere that Territorial Judge Augustus Woodward claimed that he named the main thoroughfare that way because it was heading into the woods... hence Woodward... how convenient!