Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Forest Arms fire » Archive through February 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3876
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I also heard that the insurance policy was cancelled for non-payment."

Amsterdam's policy or the building's policy?

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I received this from a friend that lives near the Forest Arms apartments, I thought some of you may be interested in going.

On February 6, residents of Forest Arms Apartments (located on the corner of Second and Forest just south of Wayne State) were evacuated due to a five-alarm fire that swept the top two floors of the building. The building sustained severe fire and water damage. The Forest Arms Apartments were home to over a hundred residents as well as People’s Records and Amsterdam Espresso.

In an effort to help out those people and businesses in their hour of need, we are pooling our resources and talents to organize the following event:

A Benefit Show for the Victims of the Forest Arms Apartment Fire

Featuring Los Minstrels del Diablo and A Stowaway performing live, and DJs milieu, dirty D, Cirque and JOHNb, as well as the resident People’s Records DJs.

There will also be sideshow entertainment provided by Tim TV, bellydancing by Chantal and other performances TBA.

The benefit will be from 7:00pm until 2:00am on Friday, February 15th at the Atwater Block Brewery, 237 Joseph Campau, Detroit, MI.

There will be a $5 suggested minimum donation at the door, but please give what you can. The venue, the sound system, and all the performances are being provided at no cost, so 100% of the funds donated will go directly to the victims of the Forest Arms Apartment Fire.

Please come and show your support!

For more information please contact benefit@alittlebluedot.com

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan, you're not Dan P, are you?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2476
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikie - you're not Milieu are ya ?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11542
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikie is Mikie.

He's tangible.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 338
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today while people were gathering items from what was once their homes I began taking quick portraits of several of the residents and having them write down their names and what apartment number they were in. I left having taken 10 portraits and am hoping to take many more. I am a photo major at WSU and am hoping that through this project I can put faces with this tragedy. In the not so distant future I hope to plan a fund raiser with the Wayne State University Undergraduate Art League and exhibit these photos. If you know someone who has been displaced by the fire and think they may want to be involved with my project please have them contact me. Also feel free to repost this in any forum it may be relevant.
Thanks.
MDoyle

Email:
m.doyle (at) mac.com

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the little grey & white cat was returned to her owner today!

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay! Here's hoping a few more better things can arise from the ashes.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2478
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon - you know Mikie ?

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear that the cat was returned to her owner !

Mauser, I'm not Milieu, and yes Gannon knows me!

Mauser765

Post Number: 2487
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

always happy to hear of rescued family members, be they feline or canine or what have you.

Ah, just a coincidence Mikie.

Alley

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still buying records!

if you can't read the sign in the window, it says "We're still buying records!"
...the beat goes on!

Alley

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish the 'Forest Arms' was more pronounced. I didn't notice the 'disaster' sign until I upload this picture from my camera

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walked by through the alley the other day and glanced up through the stairwell windows. It's truly devastating to be able to see the sky from the second story stairwell windows...

Warsaw
Username: Warsaw

Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peoples' owner Brad Hales and Amsterdam owner Halley Stone are on Detroit Today right now (11am).

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Warsaw. So bummed about Amsterdam. That place was the most.

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not Dan P,
I'm Dan M

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4529
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard the interviews on Detroit Today as well. A couple more benefits were mentioned, one at the Temple Bar, the other I forget. The third at the Atwater, was posted above by Mikie.

If anyone caught the details, please post them here.

Milieu is an awesome DJ who also has worked at the Cass Cafe for quite a while. I was so happy to see that he was invited to perform at last year's DEMF.

He will perform at one of the events, the Temple Bar, I think.

Of the two owners, the Recordtime owner seemed the most upbeat and was already back in action over on 4th Street. The Amsterdam owner seemed a bit down, admitted having no insurance or not enough, recalled the difficulties she had getting the business going and didn't seem to foresee a return. Too bad. Good luck to both.

Alley

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not Recordtime...People's Records, now on Third St.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4530
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry... Peoples Records ... thanks for correction Alley...

Where on 3rd?

Alley

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rd/Antoinette

Tonyt
Username: Tonyt

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't mean this to start a hate war or something but I'm not going to lie, I think Brad (owner of People's) had a much better attitude and I feel is far more committed than the Amsterdam owner's (Halley and David?).

Personally they're nice, and their shop was nice and really a staple of this area that I went to from time to time, but word on the street is that they were talking about leaving back to California a while ago and now I'm positive will go. The fact that she was so flaky in the interview about whether or not they're staying or going should indicate that they have no interest in the city any longer, let alone commitment.

She stated that the water was "up to her knees" at one point. Anyone who has been in there knows that most of the expensive equipment, computers, and supplies were well above waist level. She also spoke of how her and her "partner" spent everything they had to get that place up and running, but then sounded flaky on the question of whether or not it was insured or why it wasn't insured. That seems like a terrible idea...spend everything you own on something and then not insure it.

Another thing that seemed to indicate she was already building up her defensive talking points on why they're leaving was how she described the pain it took to get Amsterdam open in the first place due to the City of Detroit's "red tape". I'll agree that it probably wasn't the easiest thing to do but I have a hard time believing that it wasn't partially their fault as well. For all the city does in regards to making it known they want and need small business to come to the city, it seems unlikely that they would be less than cooperative about starting one up. Who knows though because no details were given about what exactly went down between the two but I just would think if they've done it once, they now know what to avoid and how to dodge the "red tape".

Also, regarding the benefit shows and such. I'm pretty sure Milieu is playing the Friday show at Atwater, but I'm not sure he's playing the Temple bar. Another point about Amsterdam, if they're going to up and leave the city because of adversities and hardships like this, why the hell should they receive our donations? I'd much rather invest my money in a company that's going to "stay the course" and be dedicated through thick and thin.

The benefit shows should be good, but I hope that donations reach non-WSU students as well. I know that for most students, they still have a fairly well established home base they can fall back on if need be, but as for the real residents whose life was contained in those apartments, probably not so much.

What's done is done, but I'd much rather have upbeat and positive Detroiters like Brad of People's, rather than folks who can't put up with things like this.

Detroit's a great city but it's also a place where a lot of hardships occur. If you can't deal with that and learn to cope with it than go somewhere else.

Peace

Jeanofarc
Username: Jeanofarc

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone. Thank you all who read and passed on my last post.
We have a drop off and pick up space for three days this week. Please note that it starts this Thursday; before any fundraising event that may be holding drives, so if you have stuff try to get it down there or call me and I'll get it down there.
Please pass this on to everyone and especially let people know that suffered loss due to the fire. If you work at Wayne State University, please post notices around the campus. Post around the neighborhood, especially at Forest and Cass.

What is needed:
Clothing, especially winter clothing
Blankets and bedding
non-perishable food
money or gift cards

Where:
First Unitarian-Universalist Church of Detroit
4605 Cass Avenue
Detroit, MI 48201

When:
Thursday: Drop Off Only 9 am - 7 pm
Friday: Drop Off and Pick Up 9 am - 7 pm
Saturday: Pick Up Only 9 am - 5 pm

We do not have space for anything large such as furniture at this time.
However, there will be a needs list compiled from what is requested by tenants at the temporary donation center; and you may pledge anything for the offering list.
Would it be wonderful if we had a permanent free store in Detroit? Can we make it a reality? Tuscon, Cincinatti and Baltimore have them and their great!
I also want to say that I am inspired by Detroit's community that comes together in a time of need and have decided to help start a local United Peace Relief. If anyone wants to know more about this please visit: http://www.unitedpeacerelief.o rg/
If anyone has any questions about any of this, please contact me:
Jean
jeanofarc@yahoo.com
313-377-4203

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11581
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, great work Jean.

I'll make some time to come help, if you think you'll need hands to sort. Lemmee know if and when, this week is kinda tight.

Can we put this large-item request list on-line so potential givers won't have to drive in to check IF they might be able to help?!

Cheers!

Mauser765

Post Number: 2519
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milieu also played at Woodbridge summerfest last year. Great guy, great DJ.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony...you are right, they are personally nice but that place was always extremely poorly managed. That's all I'll say for now.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 647
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if the people bad mouthing Amsterdam realize that they are probably not helping the owners, who are wonderfully kind people, make the decision to stay in Detroit? I surely hope that they would decide to stay but if not something else will take there place I am sure.

Tonyt
Username: Tonyt

Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6nois-

I'm not bad mouthing Amsterdam, read what I wrote a bit closer.

Also, from what I understood by word of mouth is that they were talking about leaving prior to the fire.

Another kudos on Milieu. Have known him for going on 5 years now and he's one of Detroit's hardest working DJ's, and a good guy to boot.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 649
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read and fully comprehended what you wrote, and what I am saying is go through something like losing your business to a fire, something that you put your heart and soul into and then tell me how composed you can be about the loss. And if they were in trouble before the fire, surely this could push them under for good. Bad mouthing probably wasn't the word I wanted to use but I don't feel that at this time your post was appropriate.

Alley

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TonyT said "She stated that the water was "up to her knees" at one point. Anyone who has been in there knows that most of the expensive equipment, computers, and supplies were well above waist level"

Please keep in mind that, just like a rainstorm, the massive amounts of water came from above and soaked everything on the way to settling on the floor