Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Street names in Detroit and how they came to be. » Archive through March 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 5:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an Ego Street that runs into 8 Mile somewhere between Woodward and I-75. That one must have an interesting history

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 301
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is Ryan Road named after?

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 854
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, here's where you may have read that:
http://info.detnews.com/redesi gn/history/story/historytempla te.cfm?id=205
Atwater and Woodbridge are similarly named - both for a prominent citizen and the nature of the street.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live among the great Colleges in Dearborn...

Vassar
Bennett
Colgate
Tulane
Lehigh
Annapolis
Carlysle
Westpointe

Not to mention the presidents

Lincoln
Roosevelt
Madison

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget Monroe. I grew up one block over from that street.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 321
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monroe...and Notre Dame

I guess Parker...

So you lived on what...Katherine?

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Don't know how true this is, but I remember reading somewhere that Territorial Judge Augustus Woodward claimed that he named the main thoroughfare that way because it was heading into the woods... hence Woodward... how convenient!"

That's true.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost, Roosevelt.

Surprised no one's brought up Outer Drive yet, though the reason behind the name (at one time!) was obvious.

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=6585

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6403
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the original 1807 downtown plan the street names did undergo some changes. Bagley was originally named Macomb, and since the presidents names were used (Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe), that process must not have happened exactly in 1807, since Jefferson was president until early 1809 (when Madison won, and Monroe 8 years later in 1817), so Madison and Monroe Streets may have been named something different early on.

I once saw a map of Detroit from just before the 1805 fire, and there was a street going along the waterfront (circa where Atwater is today). It was appropriately called "River Road".

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7789
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the fun things I've learned.

Monroe from Woodward to Gratiot was named for the President. Monroe from Gratiot to the east was renamed in honor of the first pastor of Second Baptist Church.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 3981
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Along the Hiscock story....

The corner of Florence and Ballard in Ypsi.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1980
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everybody forgets what was ON Big Beaver Road (Exit 69). It was the location of Dykeland Mall. :-)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5457
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, your tip about River Road led me to a treasure trove of information.

http://www.waynecounty.com/dps _roads/history/written_history 2.htm

Turns out it is steeped in history and interesting trivia.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5461
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Gee, so did the developer of the Chateau Novi Mobile Home Park:

That used to be a nice place back in the day, as Mobile Home Parks go. Now it's a bit of a pit like the rest of them, and many of the lots are empty.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 441
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what happened to High Street? It's mentioned in the Google book, which also says it got renamed to Sherman. I don't see Sherman either.

Supposedly this road crossed Woodward where there was a slight rise. My old USGS map shows an old shoreline ridge near where I-75 crossed Woodward. I don't see any High or Sherman streets on my pre-I-75 map from the 50s.

Another interesting street name is "Lucky Place", which is off of Grand Blvd, just south of Poletown.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1982
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

High became Vernor Highway. That stretch is now I-75.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 442
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, thanks Detroitnerd. So it did follow the Elkton shore line on my USGS map. Cool!

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to know about state controlled roads and their history, here is a great website. I think this has been mentioned a few times here, but I will offer it again.

http://www.michiganhighways.or g/

Jaja
Username: Jaja

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seem to remember that Beaver Screw was on Big Beaver...no kidding...

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the origin of Lahser?

Gistok

Post Number: 6412
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, thanks Johnlodge!

I only saw River Road on some obscure map and had no clue as to its' history, nor the fact at how long it was!

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 964
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

History of Visger in SW Detroit?

Gistok

Post Number: 6417
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One interesting thing about Detroit street names is that many far eastside street names originated in the Grosse Pointes (neighborhoods and streets were developed earlier closer to the river/lake than farther inland).

So, many street names continue from Jefferson (in the Pointes) northward, cross Mack Ave. into Detroit, and continue with the same names. University, Neff, Audobon, 3 Mile Dr., Bedford and Beaconsfield are examples.

However, some streets in the Pointes had a name change once they crossed Mack Ave. into Detroit... BECAUSE... these street names already existed elsewhere in Detroit.

That's why Kirby Rd. changes to Gateshead St. once you cross Mack Ave. into Detroit (there was already a Kirby near the DIA). And Rivard Rd. changes to Marseilles St. into Detroit, since there's already a Rivard near the Chrysler Freeway.

Slider
Username: Slider

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Along the Hiscock story....

The corner of Florence and Ballard in Ypsi."

I'm probably just dense, but I'm confused at this one. Since I only live one block from this intersection I'm fascinated.

Slider
Username: Slider

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, just got it! Florence Ballard of the Supremes! I've lived there two years and never made the connection!

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 463
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live on Bethune and I always wondered about its origin. I thought it a wierd name. Did they really name it after a man that was named Bethune? JK of course. Although, it might entirely be. Anyone know?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2827
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curious, Exmotowner. The 1880, 1900, and 1910 census lists no Bethune family in Detroit except for one George Bethune, who is simply a roomer in a rooming house in 1900. There does appear to be a large Bethune family living in Saginaw, but no connection is apparent to Bethune Street.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any one know the origins of Detroit Street?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I used to live on Bethune and I always wondered about its origin.

According to the Silas Farmer book (pg. 938), Bethune Street was named in 1881 after the maiden name of Mrs. George Duffield, D.D.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5587
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Prairie on the northwest side? It runs pretty long from 8 Mile to at least 94

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on March 06, 2008)