Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » The Start of an Urban Garden and Neighbourhood Gathering Place » Archive through April 10, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today, my mother, my two year old nephew and a friend and I started cleaning up some lots that I plan to turn into a garden and neighbourhood gathering place. It has been used as a dump site for the past couple of years. As we got started two Church of the Latter Day Saints elders rode by. They said they wanted to help and that they would be back. They came back about a hour later and stayed for a hour and kicked but. They gave us thier phone number and that they lived in the neighbourhood so give them a call and they would be back to help.

There were neighbours coming out of the woodworks but not to help. All were in agreement that it was a good idea and wanted to help but not with the clean up. I think the seniors are really going to get a kick out of it.

As the day wore on we saw a city dump truck and front end loader, though bulk pick up is not until the 24th of April. We stopped the driver of the truck and ask could they pick up the big items and things we had at the curb. Huh, we were told that it's not bulk pick up day for this area, but if we paid him he could do it. Excuse me, then WTF! are doing over here? Okay I don't want to get mad again. A little while later a garbage truck came to empty the courville containers and stopped and waited while we loaded up most of the bags in the container over and over again, at least four loads. Now why can't all city workers be like that.

Back to the clean up. I uncovered a sidewalk today and it was amazing how much dirt had covered it up. I have along way to go. i don't expect to have that kind of help all the time but I am very grateful. I will be keeping you all informed of my progress.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow good job Cub, but the lds elders are mormon and will come back to you to talk about their faith, not that being mormon is wrong, but i mean no likes knockers like mormons or JWs. I hope that your neighborhood garden goes well, especially as summer is on the horizon

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3880
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted this in the vacant lots topic but I don't know if you saw it. Network with other gardeners:

http://www.detroitagriculture. org/Cluster_Groups.htm

Cub

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they are going to help with the clean up, I don't care what they talk about. :-) My uncle is a JW and if he can't convert me I don't think they can.
Thanks Dtown it should be fun.

Cub

Post Number: 293
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I saw it and thank you. I am going to go to that meeting now. I am late.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 494
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"neighbourhood?"

Are you by chance Canadian?

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub..could you please tell me what neighborhood you are in? The company I work for just bought some empty lots to build new housing..just want to make sure you're not putting in a garden where they will be digging basements soon.

I hope it works out for you...there's nothing like a garden to raise people's spirits and give them a common goal.

Mozeewink
Username: Mozeewink

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is awesome, Cub!

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Who will help me clear the land and till the soil?", said the Little Red Hen.
"Who will help me plant the seeds?" said the Little Red Hen.
"Who will help me cultivate and and weed?" said the Little Red Hen.
"Who will help me....Hey, who the hell stole my qumquats?" said the Little Red Hen.

Welcome to the D, Cub. Good luck on your endeavors.

Cub

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You everyone!

Blueidone, The property is on the eastside, off of Gratiot and Harper on a street called Georgia. The city has not put the lots up for sale(Supposedly of course). But I was told it would go up for bid in May. I do have permission from the planning and developing department. A

Zephyrmec
Username: Zephyrmec

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good on you Cub! Binghamton NY had a communal garden patch area for a while, it worked well and was supported by the Ag. Extension from the local community college as well as local merchants. Commercial development eventually swallowed it up, another area is in the works.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12232
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub,

I'm with the group that is working the land just west of the church at MLK/Mack and Trumbull.

If you need any help, please let me know.

It IS amazing the responses you get when you're out working up a good sweat, isn't it?!

Before you plant anything you want to eat, you might get a ground sample done...the Greening of Detroit folks will help steer you in the right direction.

Think about keeping bees, too. They act like dobermans or pit bulls in the minds of anyone who might want to steal anything in your garden before it is ripe.

Lotsa classes going on right now...I've yet to take any, although some in our group have.

Cub

Post Number: 295
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today I joined the Garden Resource Program Collaborative. (Thank You Pam) The meeting was great. There were about thirty people there and I was the only newbie.(Pfffffft Bulletmagnet :-) )
The resources they have will help me a lot. There are six clusters. I didn't know this was as big as it is in not only Detroit but Metro Detroit.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 788
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please let Zaccaro's know what we can do to help all urban gardens we want to eventually be able to compost and be as close to zero waste as possible. Also we are an organization that is dedicated to Volunteering time in the community we will be able to give some urban Garden man hours eventually.
See you all Thursday!

Joe Rashid
Assistant Manager
Zaccaro's Market

Cub

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure will. I will be there thursday also.

Gannon

Post Number: 12235
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heya Joe, what about some space to sell our future produce beyond Saturdays at Eastern Market?

IF we can prove it grew from remediated lots, or greenhouses with enclosed groundspace, of course! We'll have to come up with a 'new' old term for organic-style production, though, now that the FDA has codified it and priced the testing well above what any logical farmer/businessperson might spend to use the term in advertising and packaging!

If you read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and a few of the other modern food-trend books, this urban and locally-sourced movement is MORE than a trend.

We'll have a jump on any big corporation that needs to truck their stuff in...and most of them use petrol-based fertilizers and pesticides. Regular food prices will continue to shoot through the roof.

Could be a curious stand to take for an up and coming cool destination grocery store...

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4954
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.extremelinux.info/s tonesoup/stonesoup.html

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 789
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

We want to carry as much local produce as possible, if we can get to the point where the gardens are fruitful enough we would carry them seven days a week, we have already made plans with local organic farms like garden works in ann arbor. We also have talked to the detroit Ag network and would love to purchase as much produce as we could from them, but their volumes can not yet meet demand. we may carry them once a week while in season if it can be arranged.

Cub

Post Number: 297
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You Barnesfoto that was cool.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 793
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe, i'm not religious, but god bless you and your market! HELL YEAH!

Gannon

Post Number: 12240
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(I should've known you already had that covered, Joe!)

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 790
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is talk of putting a urban garden next to the store as well, but that might have to be put off for a year or so but we may try to get it in this year if possible. I really want to do composting now there is just nowhere in michigan that collects it commercially.
I talked to Sarah Kubick at Urban bean and she says its not that far off but not yet. we would do it off the bat if we had a compost site and if storage wasn't an issue. Hopefully by next year on that initiative.
-Joe

Gannon

Post Number: 12242
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a group from Clinton Township that has been trying for three years to get the proper permits for a commercial composting facility and keep getting shot down by Douglas Diggs, the director of planning and development.

Perhaps a letter-writing campaign is needed...time to wake up another of the mayoral appointees?!

Cub

Post Number: 299
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might come to past sooner than later if the city does away with the incinerator.

Pollybergen
Username: Pollybergen

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cub,
i would love to see what you are doing, would you mind letting me know where the garden is? i am also interested in joining one of the det/ag clusters, but the map link is broken and i cannot determine which cluster i would be in! now is the time to get to more than just planning for this!

Cub

Post Number: 302
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is on the eastside. Off of Gratiot. The street name is Georgia. The street is directly across from the Better Made Potato Chip Factory. I would say it is a 1/4 mile if you are coming from Gratiot. I should have a sign on the property this afternoon. I haven't started planting yet. I am waiting on some soil samples before I till.

Gannon

Post Number: 12309
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Polly,

If you're in Woodbridge, you have a few folks nearby who would be glad to get you started...but most of us are taking the classes through the Greening of Detroit. They are really doing a service, cannot wait to meet more of them.

Great to have another on-board.

Cub,
There are all sorts of ways you can get started now...you can build up one or two rows with some new topsoil over a bed of mulch and plant something. You just missed the New Moon, but some things do better planted during the Full. (no kidding)

Buy the Farmer's Almanac, there are ALWAYS good tips in there for proper timing of various crops...and tonnage of wisdom of the grounded, which we seem ALL to be becoming!

Heh, crops, funny to finally be using that word.

Cheers,
John

Gannon

Post Number: 12310
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to see an Urban Agriculture Mega Thread...to group all these wonderful discussions in one place, making a resource here for any who might also want to join us.

Cub

Post Number: 303
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am going to try that Gannon. I started some Broccoli and lettuce seeds in february and they need to go in soon.

Cub

Post Number: 304
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats a good idea. I still can't get over how many of us that are in the city.