Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » The Start of an Urban Garden and Neighbourhood Gathering Place » Archive through April 23, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12311
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub,

You've proven to me here that you are in touch with deeper wisdom...and greater Spirit than contained usually within mere humans. Without sounding too religious, I'm sure we both know where those come from!

There are many drawn to avoid the eventuality of the economic and weather trends obvious to anyone with open eyes and ears, including some who might strongly avoid any mention of spiritual things...at least abjectly reject any and all organized religion.

Whether we admit it or not, awake and aware individuals are all caught up in this wonderful move back to the land...I just LOVE it when I hear those sleepers dull enough to actually WANT Detroit to return to the fabulous industrial years when many of us learned to be spoiled. They haven't a clue, but in a few years will be thanking us for moving in foresight.

Returning to the old Detroit will never happen, our only future is remaking Detroit in a way nobody is expecting...but a few of us have hints! Just like I've been striving for locomotion with all things recreational and now agricultural, basically rejecting any gasoline-powered vehicular travel as much as possible...I'm trying to stay local with my foodstuffs as well.

Still puzzling over what to do about coffee and orange juice and chocolate, though!

Cheers and more on this beautiful Spring morning!

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 305
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You Gannon.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 639
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

How well do Orange trees, coffee beans and cocoa beans grow in greenhouses?

Cub

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally got two signs up. The name of the garden is the Georgia St. Community Garden

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 218
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, do you attend Spirit of Hope?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Greening of Detroit the organization that Richard Lewis wife is involved with, or is it another org?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2131
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spirit of Hope Urban Farm was just covered in Metro Times' food issue...

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wrong, she is on the board of Urban Farming.

Cub

Post Number: 310
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got a little work in today. Uncovered more sidewalk. I spoke with a rep. from Northtown Homes(the developer of the new homes in the neighborhood) who stopped by after seeing me out there for the past few days. He said that the reason that they idn't build houses on more of the vacant lots in the area is that the city wants too much for some lots. The lots where the garden is going they used as a staging area and the city would not forgive the back taxes or the water bill owed on the properties. Now at the very corner, that lot was an old bread factory or bakery, and it has been gone at least twenty years and the city wanted $25,000 or more. He also said that the developer might be willing to donate a few truck loads of topsoil.:-) He also said if the city didn't pick up the trash for bulk pick up that he would send one of there dumpsters over that wasn't all the way full.

I also found out that we have a Neighborhood Association. I or my family have been in our house since 1970 and never knew this. No flyers for meetings or anything. Go figure. (oops stole somebodies line).

Hopefully in the morning the rain won't be too bad I am very anxious to get everything ready.

Mark.

Gannon

Post Number: 12350
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackcreative,

I now observe the Woody Allen approach to groups, I won't join any that would accept the likes of me...but Spirit of Hope and Matt are tops in my book, as are the folks at Messiah over in SW...off Hubbard north of Vernor.

I'd do anything to help Matt and the Spirit of Hope group besides joining them! Kate Devlin is the member there that I know, and I've met a few folks through the garden.

Cheers

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne County has a project called GroWayne. It's focus is to assist Urban gardeners bring their produce to market. I don't have their phone number but their lead partner is Warren Connor's Development Corporation. The target group for GroWayne is the eastside and Hamtramck.Also the Detroit Garden Center is a wonderful resource. They have the largest garden library in the midwest. Their number is 313 259-6363. Another good open air market is West Market on Saturdays in Grosse Pointe Park Booth cost is $25.00 and includes table and umbrella. You can rent weekly or for the season. I heard that they might partner with The Detroit Grosse Pointe Collabrative and expand the market a few blocks into Detroit.

Cub

Post Number: 321
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today I hooked up with my neighborhood's finest green thumb. Her name is Crystal. She told me the whole neighborhood has been talking about The Georgia St. Community Garden. She says theat everyone wants this to work and will be looking out for it.

I got some stakes and roped off the lots and so far the kids walking home from A.L. Holmes are sticking to the sidewalk and the pathway I left open. Bright and early tomorrow I will be out there doing some more cleaning and manicuring.

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrendale Community Garden is looking for gardeners young and old. The garden will be located at Ryan Playground of Faust and Kirkwood near Warren and Southfield Rds. There maybe a minimum cost associated with this garden for the water supply, but everything else will be provided by the Garden Resource Program.

Gannon

Post Number: 12485
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw a couple of fellows tilling a yard in Woodbridge...gave them a BIG smile and thumbs up.

It's all happening. May you all learn how to grow your own food...and can it...and be ready for the coming calamities.

Cheers!

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, please get a hold of me.

my handle @msu.edu

Cub

Post Number: 358
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made a Myspace page so I can post pictures of the Garden. The Pictures up so far are the before.
www.myspace.com/georgiastcommu nitygarden

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 315
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're doing a community garden in the Claytown Neighborhood in SW Detroit on our private lots. I'm sure anyone intersted can find out more info from the neighborhood association website at...

www.cnadetroit.com

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Cub, you got the after pictures?

It's goods to see something like this going on, and how far have they gotten with building those new homes? There were many going up last time I rode through there (2005).

Cub

Post Number: 362
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Brag,
Just put up the pics I took today(pay no attention to the date stamp) Gooden Signs is donating some new signs.I hope he comes through.
www.myspace.com/georgiastcommu nitygarden

Bulk pickup was today in my neighborhood. The city workers got out and raked most of the stuff that the bucket didn't get. Trimmed up the trees on the lots. Right now just waiting for some topsoil. I was told that the developer of the new homes will donate as much as needed.

By the way they are slowing down a bit on the new homes. They are four or five blocks north of georgia now. It looks as if they are prepping a couple of the lots there.

Cub

Post Number: 363
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I am having a positive impact on some of my neighbors. At 8:30 this morning, I walked outside and to my amazement saw two neighbors cleaning thier curb sides and sidewalks. These are people that may have cut thier grass twice last year. They have always been nice and friendly just not neat. hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Cub just checked out your link, good luck on your project.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2781
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ The beauty of positive peer pressure.

Cub

Post Number: 364
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You Town.

Fnemecek, Its the kind of reaction I was looking for. I just hope it spreads.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, you're at Georgia and what cross street?

I grew up on Ruth Street, two houses off the corner of Fischer. My house has been gone for years but the big white house on the corner should still be there. I had friends that lived on Georgia near Fischer; Bessemore near Fisher; the corner house on Fisher and Marion; and, on Crane across from the playground at A.L. Holmes where we all attended elementary school. My friend that lived on Bessemore her house and lot still looked good when we visited the people that bought the place from her parents. We were over that way last time she was in town from Denver - I'd say it was about 2003 or so. Oh and my dad had a uncle that lived not far off of Gratiot on Georgia. He was in a upper flat there. At the corner of Georgia and I think Holcomb or McClellan Street was a little market that was called Walter's. Whenever mom ran out of something in the pantry I'd have to either ride my bike over there or walk to pick it up. Gosh I have such wonderful memories of growing up in that neighborhood.

My dad and all of our neighbors planted gardens every spring. My mom canned tomatoes and made pickles and pickled peppers that we enjoyed all winter long. There was excellent soil in that area. While at A.L. Holmes I was in the Garden Club. The school set aside a long narrow strip of land on the side of Crane and Georgia for us to grow vegetables and flowers. We had tomato plants that grew almost to the top of the fence. We grew swiss chard, spinach, leaf lettuce, radishes, carrots, etc. Everyone that contributed with working in the garden got to share in the bounty. And we did grow some tasty produce! :-)

I wish you and your neighbors good luck with your Urban Garden.

Cub

Post Number: 366
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am at Georgia, the block east of Mcclellan right at Isham. The market was at Holcomb it is a church now. Someone was talking to me about that the other day. I went to A.L.Holmes also.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 522
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cub- the beginnings of your garden looks great. When are you around it?

Cub

Post Number: 372
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am two houses away in the 2 family flat so I am almost always around. Plus I am not working full time right now. So if your around just ring the bell at 9352.

(Message edited by cub on April 23, 2008)

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 524
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks cub.

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is very exciting! This could be the beginning of something great for Detroit. Detroit can go green, neighborhood by neighborhood. This is a grassroots thing that can positively involve the people. We are hearing more and more of food shortages, and this could be a partial, local solution to that, plus eventually make Detroit better than ever, and the envy of other American cities.

Cub

Post Number: 373
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is also a plan for a farmers market on the eastside.