Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » The Start of an Urban Garden and Neighbourhood Gathering Place » Archive through May 08, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub...I am very proud of you and your dedication. I work close by this site. I will stop by soon and introduce myself. What is a good time that you are near your garden?

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 378
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You Broken_main,

I am usually there between noon and five. I live in the two family flat west of the lots. Its the second house from the lots. Knock at 9352 anytime.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 502
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, I plan on biking over someday soon and checking out your great work!

Yesterday I also noticed a new community garden getting started in Highland Park along 2nd just south of McNichols.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12578
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub,

I will see you this week on my bike, too.

Cheers and more my new friend.

Keep it up!

Cub

Post Number: 379
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool! I went and bought a utility cart to pull behind the riding mower. I really feal like a farmer now lol.

(Message edited by cub on April 28, 2008)

Cub

Post Number: 381
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gave the tiller a workout yesterday and today, or shall I say the tiller and the hard ground gave me a workout lol. I am about halfway done so I should be able to start planting Friday morning. I got some extra cabbage and collards from the Depot cause everyone keeps asking about those the most. I will take more pictures in the morning.

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrendale Community Garden Groundbreaking Ceremony - 8AM Friday, May 16, 2008 - Lloyd H Ryan Playground - 5741 Faust Detroit, MI 48228

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 493
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See Cub, if you plant it, they will come! It appears what you have reaped is beginning to be sown. I like the term "positive peer pressure".

Plymouthres

Post Number: 500
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub-

I know that we said we would be out today but I've got a phone interview for a job this afternoon so we will have to come out more toward the end of the week, perhaps Thursday or Friday. Let me know which day you may be there and we will reschedule.

Gannon

Post Number: 12612
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me, too...dammit...had a client move a Friday appointment into this afternoon so I'll be in the near northburbs after lunch.

Thursday...Friday...

Cub

Post Number: 386
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem guys. It works out good for me also. I have to go pick up some things this morning. See you soon. Thursday is good.

Cub

Post Number: 388
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went and picked up some free wood chips from a guy in Ferndale yesterday (Thanks Jeff). I filled a pick up and an eight foot trailer. I am still looking for more. Had a lot of help for the first time. Three guys from the neighborhood, my mother,nephew, and oldest brother. Thanks Rel for the visit and I have to admit that passover coke a cola was great :-)

Gannon

Post Number: 12639
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Move those woodchips to their final place quickly, Cub, turns out worms LOVE 'em...and you don't want to be put in the horrible position of inadvertent worm mass-executioner merely doing your good work!

See you tomorrow, when is everyone dropping by?!

Cub

Post Number: 389
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All ready done my friend:0 I am not sure. I will page Plymouthres a little later.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 504
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys-

Just caught the thread. Want to try for noon or 1? Let me know if that works for you guys! We are excited to see the progress!

Cub

Post Number: 390
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That works for me. I will be here.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8626
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll join you, if you don't mind.

I've a design for a three bin composter for you that will cost you nothing for materials and easily assembled.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4206
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban gardeners in NYC from today's NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05 /07/dining/07urban.html?_r=1&o ref=slogin

Cub

Post Number: 392
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on down Jams.

Gannon

Post Number: 12666
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dangnabbit,

Now that it is in the New Yawk Times, there'll be some do-gooder yahoos who'll want to bring these under the auspices of the FDA.

We've got to keep them out of the potential hands of FEMA...yanno, if a sitting president decides to enact the 1978 recommendations, a single signature will put ALL transportation, communication, and food production under FEMA's trusty control.

Let's keep 'em personal...heh. Under that radar.

Cub

Post Number: 393
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New pictures are up on the Myspace page.
www.myspace.com/georgiastcommu nitygarden

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure the location is on this thread someplace, and I am just missing it.

The garden is on Georgia Street east of Gratiot near what cross street? Milner, Armour, Clarion, Culver, Raymond, Vinton? I am looking at Google Earth, trying to find it.

Thanks!

Cub

Post Number: 394
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its at the corner of Vinton and Georgia.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice pitchfork

cub

Cub

Post Number: 395
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO!

Plymouthres

Post Number: 510
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub-

Talked to Gannon and we agreed between 12 and 12:30.

See you there!

Gannon

Post Number: 12721
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I'll be with Django, too.

Should we bring anything?!

Cub

Post Number: 396
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can bring anything you want. I will be here.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 511
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all-

I just wanted to let you all know what a fine job this forumer is doing after my wife and I, Gannon, Jams and Django met at the Georgia Street Garden that Cub has started. Cub is to be commended for his sense of community and his desire to share his vision with others. He gives a wide berth to people like me, and I appreciate him for his honest and open candor. He is certainly someone who cares deeply about this city, its neighborhoods and the people that live around him. Everyone stopped to say hello to Cub while we were there, the folks that walked through the footpath were very cheery and said hello and you can see the curiosity as people drive by and slow down. You've got them hooked now, my friend! Keep up the good fight and hard work.

Cub-

You are the man! Nice garden plot, and it is shaping up to be a gathering place for your community, which is what you have there. It is not the neighborhood that I would have thought it to be, in the middle of a run down area, in the middle of a run down city. I want to encourage you and lend you whatever support that I can.

To that end, and to further perpetuate the garden effort, we have decided that we would meet Cub either Monday or Tuesday to help out and really give the garden the kickstart that it needs. It appears to be three or four full city lots wide and Cub would like to fill it up! If you are interested in really making a difference to both the city and to Cub and his community, please consider donating your time to helping out with this fledgling cause. Please let us know here on this thread what day is best for you to come out and help.

We will decide over the next day or so, based on response, when we will meet, either Monday or Tuesday, and post it here by Saturday or Sunday.

Let's all kick in and help Cub make this the success it deserves to be.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 309
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, next to my estate sits many yards of rotting woodchips, Its been theree for a few years, Seems like it would be a great mulch type material, Its very light and airy. It has a bunch of weeds growing out of it, but shovels easily. Anyone who can use this material for their garden is welcome to it. Planning on getting some over to cubs garden. I dont really know if I have a green thumb or not, Ill be finding out this year, I should, I grew from a family of farmers. I dont know if this is something that can be used or not. Might want to run a ph test on it before using it. But its here. Gannon just suggested I dig in and look for worms, It should be good then, Ill let you all know if there are some replies.
Just wanted to thank Gannon for getting my ass outta bed for the bike ride over to Cubs, was good to meet plymouthres, his lovely wife, Cub, and Jams (who I had already met, but didnt remember, sorry jams)

(Message edited by django on May 08, 2008)