Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » The Start of an Urban Garden and Neighbourhood Gathering Place » Archive through May 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 323
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update on the woodchip pile next to my estate^^^

I just dug into it, I didnt see any worms, which Gannon said would be the indicator of good soil or material. Im just not sure but there are a few piles here for the taking. Id suggest a soil test of some sort. It looks like fantastic growing medium, It looks like woodchips that have been rotting for a while mixed in with soil. Its extremely light and airy. But if theres some kind of contamination in it Id hate for someone to ruin their garden. I have nothing to make me believe it is contaminated. Its here if anyone wants it though. Havent had any posts since I put up the offer though.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 515
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sat through a workshop today on sustainability. The speaker was from Portland, OR and discussed urban farming. In one example, someone ran a CSA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C ommunity-supported_agriculture) and delivered produce by bike.

I'm just planting a seed of thought...

Django

Post Number: 324
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, You told me about that seed distribution program behind the free lunch place. Do you have a link or a name, or even a #. I forgot when you told me it was open.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 397
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django,
I dont know if it is open everyday but I do know they are distributing hot crops on the 15th and 17th of this month. I am sure they will still have seeds. Greening of Detroits # is 313-237-8736. www.detroitagriculture.org

I will be hitting your spot soon for some of those wood chips. I mainly need them for a walkway.

Django

Post Number: 327
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub see my post above. What I thought were woodchips are just a mulch type of material. Sorrry, but thanks for the info on seed.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12762
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No worms at all...weird.

But your neighbor grew food in that garden out back, Django?

How is HIS health nowadays?

Get YOUR ground tested, too. Greening of Detroit has information on that, from what I understand. Kate over at the MLK/Trumbull garden had theirs done, and they've got to remediate.

Everything they're growing now is in new soil...same with a few others I know over in Woodbridge.

I'd still like to know how much lead can seep into a plant...that seems to be the most pervasive toxin in the soil tests I've heard about.

Cheers

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 220
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This might be interesting to you:

http://www.grayenvironmental.c om/lead_in_garden_soil.htm

Cub

Post Number: 398
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok Django. Thanks Mwilbert.

Django

Post Number: 329
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im probably overreacting. I just dont know where the piles of wood chips came from. I know the guy who used to live here was a tree removal guy. I assume it was just his leftovers. Its more like stuff thats been put through a woodchipper, very fine stuff. Very light and airy, Its been there a few years, Im sure its fine but after looking at the link Mwilbert put up, I do live within a block of I94. That doesnt worry me but it should be known.
Yeah G. no worms. I didnt look but a few shovel fulls down. It looks like a beautiful growing medium though. I sent you a text about the time you made your last post. I was outside your place, wonderin if you wanted to go shoppin at the market. Didnt want to bang on your door cause it was so early.

Gannon

Post Number: 12769
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mwilbert,

Cool, that confirms my doubts about contamination, which I've voiced to my friend Kate with her garden at MLK and Trumbull...just thinking of the marvelous capillary distillation within plants...but wasn't going to encourage here without linked proof.

Lead is a huge molecule...but I wonder what anyone downwind from that trash burner may encounter?!

I know there have been tests of the soil from environmentalists eager to shut it down...and it would be great to have access to them and probably some comparisons from our old Ban the Burn days, too.

Sorry about that text miss Django, that phone is broken temporarily but will call forward to my spare. Any texts FROM ME, just hit reply and it'll get to the right phone. Everything else just goes to the ether.

Cheers

Django

Post Number: 336
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was also told that sunflowers do an extremely good job of sucking contaminates out of the soil. I orderd a bunch from the Burpee seed catalog this year. I plan to fill my estates front yard with them. ive heard after three years of growing them, your soil should be extremely growable and healthy. But you have to remove the dead sunflowers in the fall, take them to the dump or whatever. Ive only heard that word of mouth.
G. my phones dead for a minute till I pay my bill, should be on sunday afternoon. I can still text though.

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chemical Free Grass Clippings 17 Bags
(bagged 5/10/08) Ryan Playground
5741 Faust
Detroit, MI 48228
Southfield & Evergreen
Warren & Ford Rd
City-owned park
future home of the Warrendale Community Garden

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 512
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub-

We have all decided that Tuesday would be best for us (Gannon, Jams, MrsRes and myself, so far!)!

We should be there around 12:00, so look for us then. We are looking forward to seeing you there on Tuesday!

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I was also told that sunflowers do an extremely good job of sucking contaminants out of the soil."

This is true, at least for a number of metals (lead, cadmium, uranium). I have seem papers indicating that different varieties have widely different absorption rates, but I don't know how you would get especially good ones.

There is some question in my mind as to how to dispose of the sunflowers after they have done their absorption--if you put them in the trash, I don't know what mechanisms the local incinerator uses to capture metals.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 544
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

count me in

Gannon

Post Number: 12775
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It'll be great to see you again, Pat!

Topflight, welcome to the board.

Gannon

Post Number: 12776
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh, it's going to be a sight on Tuesday...heh.

What a lesson to the neighborhood and beyond...Mark, I cannot wait to hear the feedback you get!

Cheers

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8646
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Georgia is the street off Gratiot across from Bettermade to help you with a landmark.

(Message edited by jams on May 11, 2008)

Cub

Post Number: 399
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking forward to Tuesday at 12:00p.m.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 515
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See you guys at noon(or thereabouts!).

Gannon

Post Number: 12808
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I'll be heading over to Django's to ride with him after eleven.

See y'all.

Pgn421

Post Number: 548
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub- Keep up the good work. Glad to see everyone today at your garden!

Plymouthres

Post Number: 520
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub-

Once again I say, "You are the man! We all had an awesome time today at the Georgia Street garden plot. Many forumers out today including, Pgn421, Fishtoes, Gannon, Cub, Jams, my wife and I, Cub's brother and of course, Cub.

This garden is exactly the vision that Detroiters need to get for themselves, in their own neighborhoods. All of us need to start taking the city back, one lot at a time, one street at a time, one person at a time. Together we can do a ton, and working at the Garden has assured me that my time down there has not been in vain, and that the revitalization that I have begun to see may just stick and grow.

The people who have come down to help more than adequately represent that goal, and the change that I see happening in the 'hood as we work there is amazing. Almost every person seemed to be interested in what is going on there, and many more honked and waved as they went by, almost encouraging more than just a garden. There seems to be a better sense of "community" as I see it.

We will be down again, and soon, my friend. Keep up the good work!

Gannon

Post Number: 12815
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lotsa fun, I'm still at Django's, considering our day in the sun.

I was going to make a debriefing reference, but most wouldn't get it, and the jokes would fly. Fuck, that's a pun, too.

I'm going to be hurting tomorrow, that's for sure. Damn Polish/Irish skin. At least I COULD be whiter now...heh.

What an amazing time today. We did some good, and Cub's clan is solidly wonderful to know. Grannie is a dear, and I was able to honor her with some reflection of the clan she helped into the world.

Thanks Pgn421 for the bagels and cream cheese, thanks Django for those Budweisers, and then YOU Plymouthres for the ice cream treats. Biggest sale that fellow had all day, I'd bet.

Fishtoes is cool, and it is great to have Django back in circulation. Jams has an incredible depth of knowledge with this stuff, I have no doubt that 'free' composting will work.

Gives one hope for the future...all the neighborhood people we were able to engage in conversation, turning fearful scowls into smiles. It didn't hurt me joking about our 'master' Cub, ordering his people around...what a great time!

Can I get any props for getting something done today? Heh, I amazed even myself.

We found out the reason for all those helicopters, apparently there was a high-speed chase from Ferndale that ended about a half mile away...fellow was driving a Plymouth Durango and it ended up at a corner party store...hit a car with handicap plates.

I took pictures, if anyone is interested. Jumped into a conversation with three of Detroit's finest, found out that no-one was killed and all the officers were unwounded. Thank God.

I'm sure the rest of you can catch it on the evening news.

Cheers, I'm now an official urban farmer's helper. Working on achieving that next level...

Django

Post Number: 353
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was good gettin dirty. Its been a while. Now I just have to get Cub over here with his rototiller to get my garden goin.

Pgn421

Post Number: 550
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like i missed all the excitement

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 517
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just made a blog entry and uploaded six photos from today's DetroitYES hoe down.
http://www.allyeargear.com/

Cub, that tractor was at Holcomb and Lambert. It wasn't there on my return ride. Instead there was a front loader. I think they're borrowing that Ford tractor from someone local.

It was nice meeting everyone today and thanks for the bagel!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8712
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a blast, thanks all.

If the offer made today is accepted, we close before the end of the month, 28th or 29th. So Cub, we'll split the raspberries, and herbs I have for your garden and what will be my new one (which will be a very small one).

I'll dig out all those Organic Gardening mags, we talked about and donate them to you, maybe as a start to a reference library for the project? Hell, there's got to be a design somewhere in there for a grape arbor (three-four years, we'll be able to start a winery :-) )

Thanks for allowing me to participate in this!

Django

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SOMEONE should have told me how bad I was burning with my shirt off. lol

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So much love on this thread!