Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » The Start of an Urban Garden and Neighbourhood Gathering Place » Archive through May 15, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8713
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

p.s. There is a toilet and sink in the detached garage.

Perfect for the BBQ's under the grape arbor I'm envisioning over the patio slab off the side of the garage.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 401
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! What can I say but Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! To Plymouthres and his lovely wife, Gannon, Pgn421, Fishtoes, Django, and Jams. As always so much fun and we got a lot done. The garden is really starting to look like a real one now. The sculpture Django did is awesome and has already become the talk of the neighborhood. I have put up a few pictures of the day Myspace.com/Georgiastcommunity garden

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 363
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its only two rocks, Did it fall over again.

sorry I havnt put up the pics yet, hopefully this afternoon.

Cub

Post Number: 404
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No it is still standing. It is just two rocks standing end to end on top of each other. I don't know anyone in this neighborhood who can do it. Its very artistic and I believe brings a little class to the hood.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12845
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, heh, and you just threw them together?

You make magic with them rocks, Django, and see ways to use them that the average person simply cannot.

You make art...and many of the rest of us truly appreciate your gift, even when it succumbs to the same gravity we all must fight.

You think those Belle Isle formations caused the stir they did because they were 'just rocks'?!

heh

Stack ON, MF, keep on stacking. I'll find more rocks for you to play with!

Cub

Post Number: 405
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will keep looking for some too. LOL!

STACK ON!

Cub

Post Number: 406
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ladies from The Greening of Detroit came by for a site visit today, Lindsay and I think the other one was Michelle(very Gorgeous). They thought the garden was an established garden and was amazed at how it looks being a first year garden and all. So again I want to thank the DetroitYes Garden Crew who came out yesterday. I was put on the list for more wood chips and I can go pick up some compost tomorrow.

STACK ON!

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 554
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cub- are we meeting at your place again next week?

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 530
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub-

We are in for whatever it takes to help you out, my friend!

The reason it looked like an established garden is because it is! From the compost bins(thanks Jams!) to the finely tilled rows, it is very much an established garden in my mind's eye!

Get all of the stuff you can(chips and such) so we can finish up your vision! Let us know if there is anything else we can bring.

Please see, also, if we can get a source (perhaps Greening can tell you where) and I will be stopping at the garden center to ask about lime-we need to break down the one end so the soil will be a bit more amenable. And next time we need to till in all of the ash we can to give those sprouts all the help they can get.

MrsRes says the corn she saw in the house is big and she is worried that you need to plant it immediately! Maybe you can drop in a couple of rows after you cross-till like we discussed?

As for Django's artwork-we loved it!! Very creative and very different. I would even say unique!!

STACK ON!

PlymouthRes
Charter member, DetroitYes Garden Crew

Talleman1
Username: Talleman1

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw on tv that Braddock,PA, that industrial town is going green. They are doing raised bed gardens. It was quite amazing that they are using grease for running cars and have a shop to convert your diesel car into a grease burner. So all that fast food can help us. Check out Braddock,PA.

Cub

Post Number: 407
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont want to wear you guys out. But if you want we can I pick up more transplants tomorrow and they will need a few days to harden before planting.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 532
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub-

When we participate in an effort as worthy as yours is, we very rarely get worn-out. Yesterday was a small 5 hour example of what we do every day when we volunteer at Fort Wayne. We usually go about 8 to 10 hours there!

Last year, between her and I, we volunteered about 400 or so hours there, all while I worked at least 8 hour days, five days a week.

We will let you know when we've had enough. Somehow we think that won't be until just before the first harvest.

I just hope we don't wear out our welcome with your family and the community around you!!

Pick up all the transplants you want, we will help. Please let us know what is convenient next week and we will be there!

The others may have a better date when we can all get together again.

Cub

Post Number: 408
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cant say it enough, Thank You. My neighbors know me and they know I only surround myself with good people and you only met a couple of the family members and they feel like I do.

Pgn421

Post Number: 556
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub-When we say, we are going to be there. We are there! Im in for next week. I wish i could have donw more. But, this shoulder surgury has limited my ability.

Cub

Post Number: 409
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You did too much Pgn421. I want you here sitting in a chair next week. Just be here. LOL

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 840
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, if I start a compost at Zaccaro's would you have use for it? I have to get over to the garden but I am glad to hear about all the progress you have made. Thanks for coming out to play some sandlot ball by the way.

Cub

Post Number: 410
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes that would be great Urban. Your welcome. Thanks for welcoming my brother and I. We will be there next week also.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 841
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will try to get some bins together so that we can at least start doing our produce waste and coffee grinds maybe even our corn based compostable containers. Let me know volunteer times and I will try to make sure I can get some Zaccaro's and Sandlot volunteers down to help out.

Cub

Post Number: 411
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow that would be great. If you want we can set up some thing were I could pick the stuff up everyday or two then you wont need any bins. Just a thought.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 842
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be awesome give me a few days to get things going but we can correspond through email jrashid@npfv.com and get this going. This will be great for both of us not to mention the community and the planet.

Gannon

Post Number: 12853
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Thanks, Urban.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 537
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See, Cub, this is "growing" to your vision! My prediction is that this will be huge, and you will be the reason for that!

It is awesome to see such a great plan coming together! People like you are the salt of the earth, and should be lauded for their superhuman efforts to make something out of nothing.

Speaking of that, I nominate Cub to replace the current mayor! He has done more to improve the city with this effort than Kwame did in all of the time he has been in office.

Just think what this city could be like if a guy like Cub was at the helm!

CUB FOR MAYOR!

Django

Post Number: 374
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need the mayors rototiller

Gannon

Post Number: 12872
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We could be his EPU, PR. heh His bro, Michael, too.

Cub is going to kick our asses for talking this way...smilin' with every swing, speaking a word with every landed slap and punch..."I-TOLD-you-I'm-just-a-farmer-NOW"..."don't-make-me-hurt-you".

(Message edited by Gannon on May 15, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 12873
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good leaders are always reluctant to take the mantle, been that way throughout time.

The ones who SHOULDN'T be in power are the ones who seek it. That is the failure of our democratic republic.

Gannon

Post Number: 12874
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heya, Django, you'll get that tiller.

You're on the EPU, too. We'll need a canine unit, so time for another sidekick to find YOU.

Cub

Post Number: 412
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL! Hey Django, How does tomorrow sound?

Pgn421

Post Number: 560
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub for Mayor of Detroit!

Django

Post Number: 375
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tomorrow would be awesome, Noonish, ?? ill call ya

Well I guess I wont call you as I dont have your Number.

(Message edited by django on May 15, 2008)

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 851
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I guess ow that I am no longer with Zaccaro's I won't be able to help out on the compost aspect but I will come help out just let me know when a good time to help out is.

josephrashid@gmail.com