Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » The Start of an Urban Garden and Neighbourhood Gathering Place » Archive through May 20, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 423
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great day. After hanging out with Jamz, Cub, a few other friends over at Gannons near the Market on Flower day. I had been talking to Cub about using his rorotiller to start my own garden. I stopped by a neighbors house to see if I could use his mower to knock down the weeds b4 rototilling. Paul just drove me down on his tractor and plowed it all up for me within an hour. Im ready to plant now. He also gave me a lot of good tips. It wasnt the perfect tool, and Id like to get a fund going to purchase a 3 point tiller for a ford tractor. They run used for about $900. Any Ideas are welcome. Id be willing to throw in a $100. & more. If 7 more ppl did that we would have a major tool to use. Paul would be willing to plow some new gardens if we could come up with some $$$. Any ideas?? Please post them. Heres some pics of him working my plot.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 568
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub needs Paul to till his garden

Django

Post Number: 425
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing is he doesnt have the right tool to do this job. He used sort of a heavy duty rake. Its time consuming. A proper tiller for the tractor would do the job in minutes. Paul is a really solid guy. He truly cares about everything that goes on in the hood. If we could come up with say 7 ppl who would be willing to pay 100 bucks each to till a plot for them here in the D, we could buy a tiller for his tractor and he would do it. Next year would be negotiable but I guarantee Paul is a fair man. Although I wouldnt let anyone take advantage of him. Anyone have any Ideas how we could come up with about $700 to start some new gardens?? It needs to happen soon as last frost is comming if it hasnt already.

Pgn421

Post Number: 569
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django- Is Paul with the Capuchin Monastery on Mt.Elliott?

Pgn421

Post Number: 570
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are we meeting at Cubs this week?

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 139
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't read all the postings but GROW Wayne can possibly assist you. Lots of grants for urban gardners are out there too especialy if you can get some youth organizations involved.

Some thoughts if you plan to bring your produce to market. Raspberries get a high price since harvesting is labor intensive. Very little maintainance for established plants. Also yellow coneflowers can be harvested and the thisle used for bird food. Very easy to grow and once established require little water. Pretty too.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps someone here might have a friend of a friend that bought a new tiller for their tractor and would be willing to sell their old one? Maybe check the local paper in Almont or some other outlying areas. There may be some used ones for sale out that way.

Django

Post Number: 428
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PG421 Im not sure, I know he works at I believe its called St Mary Catherine school over on the west side.

The problem is that getting a grant might work for next year, and thats what might have to happen, but if we could come up with say 7 wannabee gardens that could come up with $100 each we could get this done within the next two weeks Id like to say. I also have my feelers out looking for a cheaper tiller but $900 is a used price as it is.

I know there are a lot of you out there that have vacant property just dyin to be used as a garden. If we could just get 7 or 8 ppl to chip in a little your ground could be tilled. I have to say though, Paul the tractor is on the East side (Mt Elliot x Warren)Im not sure how far he would be able to drive the tractor to till a lot. Can I get at least ONE hundred dollar offer to start this off???

I will not be taking any money, we can work something out such as a treasurer. I havnt thought that far ahead as Im in a hurry to get seed in the ground in the next few weeks.

Pgn421

Post Number: 571
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django- Do you need our help for your project?

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 418
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn, we havent set a day yet.
Django, I am in for the Hundred. If i could have him till it with a tractor I would do more lots.

Pgn421

Post Number: 572
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub- thats what you need! that ground you have iis like rock!ha ha!

Cub

Post Number: 419
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Georgia St. Community Gardens Mentoring Program

Today was the start of another chapter with the Georgia St. Community Garden. I had seven kids at the garden. Teaching them about gardening and the like. I gave them there own lil plot for them to plant. So this week after after school, homework and chores the garden will have some extra hands tending to her.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12905
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you give them some indication of the time frames involved?

This could be their biggest lesson.

Nothing is instantaneous in gardening, that might be part of its magic.

Ties you into the rhythms of the earth, too, or rewards you when you stumble into it anyhow.

Very interesting.

Django

Post Number: 432
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That ground is hard as a rock at your place Cub. I need to know that we can come up with the $$ for him to get the rototiller. of course he could always do it the way he did mine. It just takes a lot more time. And my soil had already been tilled 2 yrs ago. Hes a really good man. Actually well known in some circles around the country for his urban Farming thing, Ive never googled him, names Paul Wertz if you wanna give it a try.

OKAY, I got One, I need about 6 or 7 more ppl to chip in and we can have a kickass tractor propelled rototiller. Could turn any lot into a garden. Ill donate all the woodchips I have (except the ones Im gonna use) to anyone who can chip in, and I can probably comeup with a $100 also. This might be able to be a tax write off as its probably going to be a St Mary Catherine Fergueson school tool. Im not sure on that one but I will check tomorrow. Thing is this needs to happen soon. Only cause seeds gotta be put down soon. If ppl are serious and we can get the donations, Im sure we can have it set up in the schools name so it would be a tax deduction.

Whose next???

Gannon

Post Number: 12907
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slow down, Django.

If six or seven people put in to purchase an asset, they get a wee bit of say in how the deal is structured.

It can remain in our possession, and this fine gentleman can borrow it from us when necessary, just like we're borrowing his time and access to an asset.

I hope you understand what I'm saying.

We've a loose coalition here, you're talking about voting to trust someone with money...acquiring something that will require maintenance and storage, and someone has to be liable for it if something goes astray and injures another.

It is a slightly bigger deal than plowing a field...heh...funny to have ME sounding the capitalist.

Cheers

Cub

Post Number: 421
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it is Gannon ,but you are right.
I told the kids that some things take time to grow but they will be taking care of it and seeing it grow and reaping the benefits of what they sow. I also explained to them that we are a family and we need to take care of our neighborhood. They want to keep the neighborhood clean and i think they will. They asked a lot of questions and really seemed interested

Django

Post Number: 434
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see what your sayin, Im digesting. I am probably a little ahead of myself. Im thinking of it this way. Hes got the tractor, Hes got the school that could use it, he also has the reputation that says everyone is going to get what they need. I get a little antsy when it comes to these things. I always want it to happen NOW NOW NOW, as Im an American, we want our shit NOW. LOL.
Thanks for slowin me down, I am a bit worried about the time frame with spring already upon us. Thats the main reason Im in such a hurry. Ive known this guy for about 8 years, hes a solid community player, he has many many refrences. Im also thinking that hes the only one with a tractor that could use this piece of equipment. He woud also be totally open to storing it wherever Im sure, letting others use it if they had the tractor to impliment it. Hes totally one of us, hes just not a puter guy so much. I think a $100 is a fair price for plowing out a field from a vacant lot. And He would do it for everyone who chipped in I have no doubt.

I may have gotten a little anxious but at the same time I trust this man like I do my Father. I have no doubt that everyone would be very happy with the outcome. At the same time an aggreement would have to be had between all parties intrested. I just want to make it clear that that I back up this mans rep %100.

I just have to borrow a $100 from my sister.

Gannon

Post Number: 12912
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big difference between him storing and keeping it and it becoming some asset of a school prone to changing state in the future at the whim of some executive or market forces.

All I'm saying is if we invest in an asset for the community, it be available in free form TO that group...with accountability, of course...and I have no doubts this man has the character you say.

Big jump between trusting him and giving the tool to a school I know nothing about yet. If it is owned by a larger entity, we would then have to study that. Better to store it on property we own, and let him get it as needed.

THEN, when we add a tractor to our community's asset base, or for some weird reason they have to sell the school's stuff and he loses his tractor...we haven't lost our asset we just cajoled seven people into buying.

NOW do you understand? Buying and giving is all well and good, I have NO trouble with that...but we don't want to have to buy it twice.

It is very likely that these items will become VERY valuable in the near future, and we want to be the ones who have them.

Cheers

Django

Post Number: 439
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see what your sayin. I was thinkin if we donated it to a school it would be possibly a tax credit. Im sure Paul would store it at his little farm. Im pretty sure the tractors he has are his own, Im not positive. I know he keeps them at his place. Theres also the problem of his time. Im sure hed be willing to to plow up 7 or 8 gardens to aquire a plow but what about next year? when they need tilling again, I need to talk to him some more. He was open to the idea though. BTW he just bought an old 1947 ford tractor for only $500. had to put 500 into it but still. That may sound old but thoes things are solid runners.

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 220
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You people are fantastic! You are turning Detroit green, and you are taking steps that can make it the envy of every other city. I've lived a lot of places, and I have never seen anything quite like this.

Gannon

Post Number: 12920
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is but one small piece of the whole, Gaz.

The ones who've done the yeoman's share of work are the Greening of Detroit people, and the other community organizations who give classes tied together with Michigan State University and other groups.

We're merely applying their encouragment...and relaying it to y'all.

I've been eager to get on with it for about five years...at least I'm not hearing how we're taking Detroit backwards a hundred years now that the gas prices are what I've been expecting for years now.

Django

Post Number: 450
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just planted some sunflowers, and cucs. Friend brought over a few different kinds of berries. Apparently their delicious. Tomorrow the corn.

Paul told me Advanced plumbing has 100' of irrigation type pipe for $10. I need to get water to my garden in an easier fashion than the bucket. Whats yor plan Cub?. My garden isnt nearly as far away from the house as yours. The more water the better. (generally).

Cub, I also forgot when the pickup time for seeds are behind Cappucine kitchen. I need to get there. Ive bought some high end hybrids from Burpee but need more corn and tomato seed.

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, this is how great things start. I admire you all so much. I think your good hearts and enthusiasm will be contageous.

Cub

Post Number: 422
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tomorrow between 5 and 7 Django

Cub

Post Number: 423
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend and I added to the sculpture area today take a look.
www.myspace.com/georgiastcommu nitygarden

Gannon

Post Number: 12921
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like it, but it is not enough to just look like a sundial.

We'll need a stack at noonshadow, at least, and one near fiveshadow would be cool to show the end of officeworker's hours. Might as well make one at nineshadow, to let them know when they're late for their cubicles.

Let's have a little ceremony to set them on June 21st, the Summer Solstice, then they will be at least in the middle of their range...given the travel of the sun throughout the year.

Set the sundial...what a concept. At least we won't have to wind it all the time!

Cub

Post Number: 425
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be sweet Gannon. We were standing there at 6:00 trying to set it. LOL! Not knowing what the hell we were doing lol!

Django

Post Number: 477
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldnt find the pics cub. I need to come over and add some more to the stack anyway. Are you heading to Cappucine today, if so give me a call. maybe I can catch a ride.

Cub

Post Number: 426
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, I went last Thursday.

Django

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotcha