Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » The Start of an Urban Garden and Neighbourhood Gathering Place » Archive through May 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 427
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to thank the Lady who donated the fruits and vegetables to the garden today. Thank you DetroitYes.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 562
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub-

I'm sorry that we haven't been out since the last time but I've been interviewing for a job and we have been getting ready for my sister's visit over the holiday. It sounds like you have everything well takencare of, anyway.

We even tried to get over to Gannon's on flowerday, but we got stuck in traffic for like and hour and they would not let us back through to get to his place.

Perhaps we will hook-up this week at the FSC? I'll post something on the Connections side, so check over there!

Keep up the good work with the kids, too. They are our future and what you are doing is mightily important.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12924
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a madhouse, if only you talked to me beforehand PR, I would've given you the secret backway entrance.

As it was, I didn't get your message until late...we had a good time. Best one was a woman in the back of a dual-cab pickemup truck asking how much we'd charge for her to park in our lot.

I said a hundred bucks, and when she complained I upped it to one-twenty. As she sarcastically said that she loved me too, I had to tell her it was overflow for our residential lot...the look on her face when she realized people LIVED here was priceless!

I was actually simply saving the lot for the Sala Thai folks, it was full most of last year so they lost some business. As it was, they had just enough spots this year...everything worked out fine.

The parking Ogre lives again...

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mmm

Cub

Post Number: 428
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem Res, I hope they are going good.
Got a lot of tilling done today. Planted tomatoes and started the fire pit. You should see the wood pile now. Pgn stopped by today for a quick chat.
I had a neighbor ask me could I help her get the lot next to her cut and trimmed. She wants me to show her how to plant flowers. Really made me feel I was making a difference.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5082
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to Cub and the other gardeners for taking good care of Detroit while I'm gone...

and check this article out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05 /20/us/20philadelphia.html?ref =us

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 483
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cub, Im sorry, I totally slept all day and missed the workday over there. That was today right, maybe Im wrong. Anyway, Im lookin foward to checkin out the sundial and stackin few more top layers of rock.

I planted the other day, got it all plowed as I mentioned earlier^^ and next morning scrappers stole the gate where the tractor can come in. I was so pissed. Now the kids in the hood have free range on the garden. They constantly throw rocks at my house. I dont get it. Hopefully someone will see that Im tryin to do some good and straighten thoes punks out. I was a kid once too so I understand. I gotta talk to Jamz about gettin some pallets over here to block off the opening in the fence.

Cub

Post Number: 430
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No workday scheduled for today just my mom and I.
I know a place to get the free pallets. How many do you need? Busy tomorrow and maybe Thursday so Friday will probably be a better day to drop them off.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 586
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django- i have a truck,if you need it to transport the pallets

Gannon

Post Number: 12930
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's make a huge mesh pitchback to return those rocks to the kids, they won't know what hit 'em.

It was the full moon, Django, everyone needed their rest. I'd bet everyone was struggling to stay awake and with it.

Scrappers stole your fence gate...next time apply voltage to it.

Django

Post Number: 489
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Need about 4 pallets, That would be great. Give me a call and Ill tell you where Im at, If Im not there you can just drop them in the yard.

Thanks Pg

never heard the word pitchback, same thing as a what is it,, trabuchet?<sp. Yo G call me, or tex.
Id like to put em in the pitchback and send them to Eastpoint.

Gannon

Post Number: 12937
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naw, 'cuz then they'll be Pgn's problem.

A pitchback was a metal-framed sprung netting that you could throw a baseball into and it would immediately be, um, pitched back.

Django

Post Number: 491
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotcha, I had one of thoes, forgot all about that.

Gannon

Post Number: 12939
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone forgot about them, because using it meant there was nobody else to play with.

Do you know how far away they have to be to throw those rocks? We could test a strategy on 'em, and also figure a good way to keep them and varmints out of the garden.

Django

Post Number: 493
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im thinkin more along the lines of my old Red Ryder.

Which bring up a funny story, I wear an eyepatch cause it looks cool, I was at a concert last week and a woman came up and said, "so Santa brought you the bb gun eh" Took me a minute to get it but but when I did I was rollin.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 285
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What movies got lost? I might be able to help you. My aunt owns a video store in Clio.

Django

Post Number: 499
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rax, they didnt get lost. There wasnt even a problem. I just lost contact with G. He took care of it, I just didnt know it. Weve had some connection issues, that was all. but again, Thank you.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 286
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, good to hear. I just know how these types of things can really screw up your credit, etc.

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 183
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wanted to say that I've been following this thread with great interest and reading every message. My hat's off to you Cub and everyone. This is very inspiring. Wish I was closer as I would help. What a great example you are giving to people in your neighborhood and to everyone that reads this. Keep up the good work! Kinda like it that it is on 'Georgia' St. I've even wondered if we could get a garden going here.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 566
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peachlaser-

What Cub has done is, indeed, profoundly changing his neighborhood into a community. Having participated in helping with the start-up of the garden, you have no idea how much you don't read about when you just read the simple words written here. It is far more than that.

My wife and I know a bit about gardening, so this seemed like a great way to help out, by giving back our knowledge to someone who wanted to learn. To have met a guy like Cub and to be in that neighborhood, for me, would normally be a stretch. But once I read what he was trying to do, my wife and I were sincerely drawn to go help out. It was no waste, either. The guy did everything we told him to, and to a tee. We were glad to have helped out, and the rewards that you don't read about were more than apparent.

Sure, we get some curious stares. And yes, we definitely stand out when we are there. But I cannot begin to tell you how many of the people that come by and wave to Cub wave to us, too. The hellos are abundant, and people go out of their way to shake your hand. It is truly a place where there seems to be no barriers and it is encouraging to see that it started with the vision of just one man who wanted, any way he could, to make a difference.

Cub is also very modest, but he really must be lauded for his effort. To take a group of kids, who have never had their hands in the dirt, and work with them like he has is just downright unheard of in this day and age. He does this without any reward, except that the reward isn't his gig. He does it because the reward is in GIVING, something I think we have only seen the tip of the iceberg from with this young man.

I can only encourage everyone to not only read this thread, but, if you can, donate some of your time to this most worthy cause. You will meet some really nice people and get to know folks that you probably would never meet.

But the thing you will get the most out of it is a feeling that there is hope for this world and that more people like Cub need to step up and make their vision a reality.

It will, hopefully, invigorate you!

P.S. Cub will be running for some sort of public office in the next few years. He is very qualified, IMO, and deserves all the support we can offer him. He is indeed a very sincere person who wants to make things better. Please support his endeavors when he begins his quest.

Cub

Post Number: 431
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you! Plymouthres,
All the ash and compost has softened up the dirt like you wouldnt believe. Made it very easy to plant. The boys were out of school yesterday and two beat me to the garden. We tilled a spot for one of them but it has too many rocks. I am going to do raised beds for them. So I have more work to do. They are getting anxious and I am also lol. I need to get a hold of some cheap lumber. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Gannon

Post Number: 12942
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little background is in order, too, in a Paul Harvey 'More of the Story' sorta way.

Cub has been contacted by a woman who found this thread and his MySpace page, who told him that her great-grandparents had a community garden back in the 20s ON THIS VERY SAME STREET.

Apparently their goal was similar, to bring the neighborhood together and teach it to feed itself by growing their own food...making a neighborhood center in the meanwhile, a place for folk to simply hang out.

When he told me this, I just about came out of my skin, because it confirms for me the deep spiritual nature of the whole thing. We are reliving something that happened almost a hundred years ago...two full generations.

It is almost spooky, but so much in a positive way that none can be scared...but the more folks that act when the Spirit moves them can change an entire city, even a world.

Huge cheers this morning, pre-caffeine. (I'm working on it)

Gannon

Post Number: 12943
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheap lumber...to frame the raised beds?

It doesn't have to be pretty, just utility.

What sizes are you thinking, Cub?!

Cub

Post Number: 432
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6x6 maybe. No not looking for pretty just functional. lol.

Gannon

Post Number: 12947
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you tell the whole story of that woman, and her grandmother who was nearly sainted for her work in the neighborhood?

It is pretty fantastic, and I'd rather not simply repeat what you should be saying!

Cub

Post Number: 433
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You summed it up pretty good my friend.
Only it was the late 1800's and early 1900's. He, John Kreft died on the steps of St. Hyacinth Catholic Church after slipping on ice in 1915. He was her Great-Great-Great Grandfather and I am naming the sculpture that Django did in his and his wifes honor. The kids all agreed even my seven year old and they keep asking ?s. He also carved the alters at a couple churches in the area.

Gannon

Post Number: 12952
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THAT was the part of the story I was going to mess up.

It was over a hundred years ago on Georgia Street...the very same activity for a very similar cause. With a similar result, I'd bet.

Plus, we've got the fellow who 'carved' images out of stacked rocks on our community 'church' in the middle of the river...h-m-m-n-n. Watch for the ice, Django. heh

It made me want to know more about Hazen Pingree, who pre-dated the carving fellow by twenty years or so, but with again the same SPIRIT that we need resurrected or reincarnated today.

quote:

Pingree was elected mayor of Detroit in 1889 on a platform of exposing and ending corruption in city paving contracts, sewer contracts, and the school board. He soon turned to fighting privately owned utility monopolies. He challenged the electric and gas monopolies through municipally-owned competitors. His largest struggle, however, was with Tom L. Johnson, president of the Detroit City Railways, over lowering streetcar fares to three-cents. Pingree again attempted to create a competing municipally-owned company, but was barred from creating a railway by the Michigan Constitution.

During the depression of 1893, Pingree expanded the public welfare programs, initiated public works for the unemployed, built new schools, parks, and public baths. He gained national recognition through his "potato patch plan," a systematic use of vacant city land for gardens which would produce food for the city's poor. He was also an advocate of economist Henry George's single tax.

In 1896, Pingree was elected Governor of Michigan. After taking office on January 1, 1897, he intended to also fill the last year of his term as mayor of Detroit, which would have lasted until elections in November 1897. However, his right to hold the two offices simultaneously was contested, and after the Michigan Supreme Court ruled against him, Pingree resigned as mayor (see Catlin p. 628). During his four years in office, the direct election of U.S. senators was promoted; an eight-hour workday was endorsed; a regulated income tax was supported; and railroad taxation was advocated.

I'm saying you're our latest Pingree, Cub. Hope you don't mind.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub,that time-frame lines-up with the Depression of 1892 and the building of Hazen Pingree's Potato Patches.

oh, are you saying Django carved alters or that John Kreft carved them?

Cub

Post Number: 434
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Kreft carved alters. Django did the sculpture at the garden.

(Message edited by cub on May 22, 2008)

Cub

Post Number: 435
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmmm