Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » The Start of an Urban Garden and Neighbourhood Gathering Place » Archive through May 27, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12953
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome,

I've GOT to talk with you about those photoshop skills...you will do it for pay, too, right?! I'm still laughing about that ogre with Harry Karry's glasses.

You keep branding me with 'em, I'll never be able to update my finely-honed style, heh. Might as well wait until they come back into fashion again...they're like ties. Never throw 'em away, in twenty to thirty years they will be IN once again!

(I'm sure Carlita is jealous that my bat has spikes, she's probably working on hers this week)

This has all the makings of a decent true urban legend...keep up the good work, everyone!

Cheers and more today...finally getting past that full moon, what a doozy.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8811
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW Pingree STILL is on the list of the 10 Best (ever) Mayors in the US.

His accomplishments were incredible. I've a bit of research on him I'll share with you, once I unpack the boxes.

Cub,
Any time you want those raspberries from my yard, let me know! I also have some other things for you as well.

Sorry, I won't have time to spend at the site, although digging in the dirt would really help to relieve the stress of this upcoming move.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, the stuff you find on the internets

eee

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 519
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rotflmao

Django

Post Number: 520
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You just totally made my day.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)
glad to help

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 438
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://georgiastreetgarden.blo gspot.com/
Check out the website started by a friend of the Georgia St. Community Garden.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 299
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cried a little. thanks Cub and everyone else that has been pushing for these initiatives.
I'm just going to repost the link, so it doesn;t get lost in hundreds of posts here.

http://georgiastreetgarden.blo gspot.com/

Check out the website started by a friend of the Georgia St. Community Garden.

Django

Post Number: 558
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, you know I love ya, I only watched the video on the link, I didnt really explore it. Ive got to say, And Im open to arguments. I have a hard time putting in my sweat to grow food for the homeless. That sounds cruel. Ive been homeless though, I never went hungry. Ive been in situations where I was hungry,but it was completely my own fault because I chose to spend my money on other things. You know Im doing a garden also,Ive invited all the neighbors to plant what they want, Its a community garden just as yours is. where do you stand on that issue? Of course I would never have a problem with a mom pickin my maters to feed her kids, but if I was a junkie and relied on your hard sweat to feed myself, how would you take that? Im not making a stance so much as curious.

Cub

Post Number: 439
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I would have a problem with that to a certain extent. But homeless and poor is homeless and poor no matter how you got there. Thats just my opinion.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4812
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been busy lately and only now have caught up with this heart-warming and wonderful thread. I want to join the chorus of others who have congratulated Cub and the rest of those who are making a difference, a big difference.

IMO, this is the real story of Detroit and you are writing it, one hard-worked row of vegetables at time. Thank you.

The resources of DetroitYES are at your disposal to promote and fulfill your mission in any way we can help. I have changed this thread's arrow to light blue, meaning this is a pure hall of fame destined thread.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8841
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub,
Your attitude is what makes me support you!

You understand that those who are homeless and poor are still human beings, and before they can pull themselves up by their bootstraps, they have to live day-by-day.

BTW, the raspberries are still yours. Let me know when you can pick them up!

Gannon

Post Number: 12964
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams,

Got wheels to the eats today?

Cheers

Django

Post Number: 561
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannons pickin me up, thanks though. see ya there. Jams, if you have some rolling stones on disc, could you bring em.

Django

Post Number: 563
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, wasnt payin attention.

Django

Post Number: 564
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone has any old hose, broken stuff, Id love to take it off your hands. I need 200ft to put together to reach my garden. Im dealing with 2 5 gallon buckets of h2o at a time and its already gotten old. I can splice the hose.

Anyone, anyone?

Cub

Post Number: 440
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple new pics of the garden and some of the boys.
www.myspace.com/georgiastcommun itygarden

(Message edited by cub on May 26, 2008)

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django and/or Cub...please email your mailing address to me. I will donate enough money to buy whatever hose you need (and maybe a little more). I am not physically capable of getting there and helping, but I can show my appreciation for what you do by helping you get some supplies.

corneroffice2@aol.com

Django

Post Number: 580
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! I wasnt expecting that. Im not in a position to turn that down. Im sick of hauling thoes damn buckets. LOL

Gannon

Post Number: 12979
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a blessing, Blue, many thanks for the help.

I don't think anyone is turning down any form of assistance...heh.

We need MOST your good thoughts, encouragement, and prayers...

Django

Post Number: 581
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You Blue.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 239
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are all welcome...but the thanks should be given to those of you who are putting your efforts into this. It is incredibly wonderful that you give your time and effort into helping your fellow citizens.

Having spent 30 years volunteering to help others, I understand what you are doing and what drives you. I have retired from such things myself, but congratulate those who pick up and carry on.

In a perfect world, everyone would be there to help their neighbors...but alas, the world is not perfect and those of us who can must do what we can to make up for those who do not.

I look forward to a fresh tomato...or maybe a few ears of corn later in the summer.

Cub

Post Number: 443
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You Blue!
And you can have all the tomatoes and ears of corn you want.

Redhead
Username: Redhead

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Cub... I've enjoyed all the pictures of your garden on your MySpace page.

Good Luck!

Cub

Post Number: 444
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You and much LOVE from The Georgia St. Community Garden.

Django

Post Number: 595
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Cub is too humble himself to tell everyone that Lowell has told him that this thread will be marked in the Hall of Fame Threads. Im proud to be a part of it, and congrats to Cub.

On another note, Cub, what a great bit of news we got from Blue. Im totally lookin foward to a new hose to get our garden wet. I hear advanced plumbing on Grand river has cheap 100 ft sections of ridgid pipe for about $10. Thats incredible. Im planning on running a line just under the backyard to the garden, then using a couple of rubber hoses to connect onto that main line. From there Ill have 2 sprinklers that I can move around. I still dont know how your watering, Is it possible? Let me know, we can figure it out.
What a kickass thing of Blue to do for us. I cant wait to bring her some veggies. I hear corn is very difficult to grow. I have about 6 rows 30ft long each. As I understand, if you dont plant enough of it they wont pollinate eachother properly. I just found this out. I hope to put down more seed before its too late. The fact that Om gonna have sprinklers is very motivating. See you wed. with the pallets.

Django

Post Number: 605
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FROST WARNING

I just heard on WDET of a frost warning for tonite. Wayne and Monroe (I believe it was Monroe) counties were not supposed to be in the possible areas. I take that with a grain of salt.

Cub, if your frail plants are sprouted, you may want to keep an eye on them tonite. Ive heard a small shower of water can save them if a frost does hit. Im new to this so if anybody has some insight on what can be done for your plants when a frost hits, Id like to know. My Grandfather always said "dont plant until after Memorial Day" He was a farmer from a farming family from way back.

Django

Post Number: 619
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, I just came across some fencing to block the gate they stole. I wont need the pallets afterall.

Cub

Post Number: 445
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok Django. I put some water on them already. I think they will be fine.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 577
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newspaper folded in "pup tent" style, buried on each side of the plant will do. Even some of the more hearty of the plants should be covered. It is going to get cold and I wouldn't count on the water treatment!