Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Sandlot Baseball is back » Archive through May 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I as well will be interested but will be at the tigers game this wednesday. Perhaps I will get the glove ready for the following week.

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm also going to the Tiger's game Wed. but I'm in for an hour or so.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 815
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigd I realized that it needed a trash pick up too. Drove there today, never been to that park before quite nice, yet another hidden gem of the city. Great field crushed brick and all.

(Message edited by urbanoutdoors on May 01, 2008)

Bigd
Username: Bigd

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If a few people went out there with trash bags, it could be cleaned up pretty quick I think. It's a shame the city doesn't get out there to do it themselves. Great little park. I'm thinking about making it to one of the sandlot games, if I can make it out of work on time. Should think about having ut at Maheras-Gentry sometime soon.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 816
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we are investigating that possibility since PAL uses the fields, first week will be 5ish till dark at 3rd and selden hopefully we will have our new home soon after.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 817
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just 3 days till the season starts!

Curly98
Username: Curly98

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Less than 24 hours, it's about time, see you all there.

3rd and Seldon
Detroit, MI
Behind the Hardware Store

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 819
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't wait see you there curl.

Troy

Post Number: 224
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did the sandlot game happen?

My neighbor stated he stopped out at 5:30 and witnessed no one.

We have 3 coming for 5/14 if it is still on at 3rd and seldon next week

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12749
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do we spin this to include the children...especially the fosters?

That is all I could think of looking at the open space around Cub's new garden, how wonderful it would be to have a place for the neighborhood youngsters to learn community on a ballfield...then get to a few Tiger games themselves to enjoy it on a larger scale.

You guys have your game, but I'd like to look out into the bigger picture...those who don't yet know how to play...or don't own a glove and bat.

We cannot have our youth taking their batting lessons from the first, um, lady.

Cheers!

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 262
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How do we spin this to include the children...especially the fosters?

Great idea Gannon!

How about you take the lead on this project. Let us know if you need any help getting started.

Gannon

Post Number: 12751
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rax,

If you want to get anything actually done, I am not the guy.

I'm the idea sparker...that is my place in the world.

Someone can take it and run with it, and I will be available for spiritual support, enabling contacts that knit everything together.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 825
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always wanted to do this gannon it is just hard to find the space. ultimately I Would like to make it a 501c3 that helps educate kids in all sports so that the level of play is equivalent of the suburban neighborhoods. We worked with some kids from southwest when we played at clark park and St Hedwig but it is just a matter of figuring out how to renovate the third and selden fields and other parks around and being able to grab the interest of the local children. But I am game. We can meet at Zaccaro's to discuss this if people are interested.
-Joe

Gannon

Post Number: 12753
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We will talk the next time I'm through!

I'm not opposed to doing work, I just cannot be relied upon to complete anything...I desperately need others who are gifted with what I lack.

Troy

Post Number: 225
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW did the game happen on wednesday?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was pretty wet, this Wednesday should be good. Josh the ubc coffee man wants to play

Rax

Post Number: 264
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you want to get anything actually done, I am not the guy.

I'm the idea sparker...that is my place in the world.

Understood Gannon. I know a lot of people that spark up and never get anything done.

Gannon

Post Number: 12757
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rax,

Yeah, that's the reason.

KMA

I am not a manager, and have NEVER had any concept of time or money.

My seventh grade nun found that out WELL before I discovered the beauty of marijuana medicine...as has every counselor, psychologist, psychiatrist, and a high-end brain researcher in NYC since.

You want to rely on me...you will always, always be disappointed. You happen to need something fixed in an emergency, or some problem solved during a crisis that most cannot...I'm your hero.

Just don't count on it twice, no matter what it simply won't happen. Not the same way.

You don't know anything about me beyond what I've posted here, even if we've met in real life. I puzzle those who know me more than strangers, and amuse enough that they stay around a very long time.

I have Asperger's Syndrome and should be in some think tank somewhere rather than struggling through what most of you consider real life.

My marijuana usage is minimal at best...so why don't you fuck right off with your judgements?!

Sincerely,
John

Rax

Post Number: 266
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just making a joke. I apologize if you took me seriously.

Gannon

Post Number: 12758
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, sorry for the rant, you caught me at JUST the wrong time...lotsa death and sickness around my friends and was just on the phone encouraging one who lost a 22-year old niece.

I am terribly defensive about marijuana as medicine, those judgments are thrown about way too often, way too quickly.

Apologize accepted, please accept mine.

Gosh, it's been a week since I last toked, think I might be a wee bit on edge?!

Cheers

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 827
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe we are going to play at Maheras gentry Park this week crushed brick grass infield 350 ft out field with a warning track, Although I love playing in the corridor at the moment there is not a suitable field there.
To get there Just take Jefferson to Connor and turn right and take connor to the river and its on the left. It really looks to be the best field in the city. Give us feed back on your thoughts please.
-Joe

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 212
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, "Guys in their 40's still playing", What will modern technology support next? In a more serious tone, I think I'll stop in and check out the next game.

Gannon

Post Number: 12780
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HEY!

Haven't you heard?

Forty is the new Twenty.

I just biked in from Dearborn. In the rain!

Laughing to remember the veterinarian on NPR who said that for dogs, seventeen is the new twelve...or something like that.

Living and loving life...what is age but a number?

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 213
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Right On, Gannon, Well Said.

Curly98

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 2008 season for the Detroit Sandlot Baseball Club plays every Wednesday at 5:00pm(warm ups), with games starting at 6:00pm. DSBC has found a new "Home of Detroit Sandlot Baseball", Maheras Memorial Playground on Detroit's east side.

www.detroitsandlot.com or www.myspace.com/detroitsandlot

Troy

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is rain in the forcast. Are people still wandering out? I hope not to drive over to find an empty field.

Tis a shame that it is so far east. What about getting a workforce out to adopt the Wiggle play field (3rd/ seldon) and get it up to par. There is a architectural league softball team that has it as their home field for thursday games (Home games about every other week). Teaming up with that 20 person group that field could be looking good.

Curly98

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Troy, we agree. The real big problem is the size, we all got spoiled playing in Ferndale. We just want the same feeling in the D. But trust us, we are pushing for Wiggle improvements as well. And rain or shine we'll be there, at 5pm, gotta warm up. But the game will start around 6pm. Please get their when you can.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 834
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets get as many people as possible out so we can have a good ol fashion game of ball!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Clark Park? It has well-maintained ballfields and lots of parking around the park.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 835
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We did Clark Park Last year, decided against it for the moment because southwestern uses it and all of the construction. It still could be used in the future.
I like the Idea of really redoing wiggle but it would take a couple tons of crushed brick, sod, and the funds to maintain it. I have thought about contacting Think Detroit as well as the city about trying to get the propper funds to do such a project.
Where does Cass Tech play?