Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :::Tiger Stadium: Memories, Demolition & Saving Part of It::: » Contract awarded for Tiger Stadium demolition » Archive through April 23, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The wrecking ball could start swinging within a month to knock down the bulk of old Tiger Stadium under a contract awarded today.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080422/NEW S01/80422033

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's about damn time. I'm sad to see it go, but I'm glad to see things moving forward in the progression of Corktown. I hope they will be able to raise the funds for historical redevelopment that provides a tribute to the history of that site.

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know how much progress the Conservancy has made in terms of reaching the $369,000 goal?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No matter what commercial development and/or museum eventually gets built, there's no reason why the entire field can't be saved. Even if the entire stadium is demolished.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 441
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A dirt track race course for midget car racing would be perfect for that spot.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11521
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The team will tear down the stadium at no cost to the city and make its money by selling the scrap, estimated to run $1 million or more in value.

I remember saying that is how it would work out and I was called a fool and told that would never be a feasible plan.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6369
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad day in Detroit.

jjaba, Tigers Fan.

ps. jjaba has a great joke about taking his girlfriend to Section 24. Wanna hear it? (With credit given to Soupy Sales.)

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, Only if it's filthy..

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6251
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't worry, it is.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JJaba, do tell

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we need to preserve Section 24 as well.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Atlanta they saved the wall from County Stadium. It is the same wall that Hank Aaron hit #715 over. Considering the history of Tiger Stadium I think it would be great if they could save the outfield wall...at least until there is another plan in place.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 382
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this preservation group can't raise $369,000 how are they going to raise 15 million?

Why haven't they been doing any fundraising around the ballpark? It's 10 bucks each from one home crowd. You could hold a few 50/50 draws.
What happened to Ernie Harwell's group? I thought they had business leaders on board.

Looks like the whole park is coming down.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3223
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The team will tear down the stadium at no cost to the city and make its money by selling the scrap, estimated to run $1 million or more in value.

Yay scrappers?

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 386
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a small portion of Forbes Field still standing in Pittsburgh. The left-field wall, over which Bill Mazeroski hit his 1960 World Series-winning home run against the Yankees in Game 7. It's not much, but it's better than nothin'.
I think whatever we get in Detroit will be better than nothin'.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 764
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as I applaud their efforts, the Conservations' inability to raise the required initial money I think is a sign that there just isn't the financial support for it.

I wonder where they stand now... if they're close, or if they're way off the mark.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11525
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As much as I applaud their efforts, the Conservations' inability to raise the required initial money I think is a sign that there just isn't the financial support for it.

So in summation there is a lot of talk about 'saving' TS but nobody wants to put their money were their mouth is.

Jaydetroit
Username: Jaydetroit

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with 401Don, it seems obvious that if they are having trouble coming up with 350k by next month, then how long will it take for this conservancy committee to come up with 15M??? I dont want to see one torn up lone standing wall sitting there for 5 more years because they secured a down payment to buy them time.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6371
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba took his girfriends to Briggs Stadium and they sat high up in the upper deck, Sec. 24.
They would skip school and attend day games in the Spring.

jjaba would hug her on the strikes, and she'd kiss him on the balls. It was great fun.

jjaba, Cass Tech. memories.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6372
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Save Kaline's Corner, if anybody remembers that.
jjaba.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best damn arm in the majors Jjaba....

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 2023
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Jjaba's stories

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but what's the rush all of a sudden? I mean Tiger Stadium has been sitting there for years, what's a few more while the Conservancy raises the money? I could see it if the city had a deal lined up for the site, but I haven't heard anything about that. How is another vacant hole better than keeping the stadium, even in its current condition. Once the building's gone, it's gone forever, and the last thing the city needs is another such whole.

I know Detroit's got a ton of abandoned buildings, but so many of them are historic and could be beautiful once again like the Book, Opera House, and Orchestra Hall. Historic, unique buildings & architecture are among the things that attract people to cities. The city should instead enforce its code violations against slum landlords and stop the sweet deal Ilitch gets for "maintaining" Tiger Stadium.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 714
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So is this actually going to happen soon or is it just gonna be play it by ear again and wait and see when it get's knocked down.

It would nice to see them do a museum and preserve the field. Has there been any actual plans on whats gonna be there once it's gone.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6387
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba invokes Skipper's Rules on Detroit. (Believe it when you see it.) Dates, promises, contracts, press releases, and speculation don't mean schitt in Detroit!

jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6388
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Believe it when Lowell posts a streaming video of it on The Forum. Until then, it ain't happening. Now you can put you feet up and not worry about it anymore. Might be tomorrow, 1 yr., 10 yrs. or never. Remember, Skipper's Rules.

jjaba.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 523
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is Bobby Fergusons company going to do the demo work? KK's man?

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 387
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "OldTigerStadiumConservancy.or g" website is still under construction. Exactly when do they plan to start their fundraising efforts? I also think Ernie Harwell should make an announcement as to whether his group is making any headway, if he wants the public's involvement or if it's not going to happen.

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: Jeeez, did you have to use the umpire's whisk broom to dust that puppy off?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 137
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's an oldie but goodie though.