Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :::Tiger Stadium: Memories, Demolition & Saving Part of It::: » Tiger Stadium - Conservancy Website is Online « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jmarx
Username: Jmarx

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those interested, the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy website is finally up and running:

http://www.savetigerstadium.org

(Message edited by jmarx on June 24, 2008)

Detroitking
Username: Detroitking

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just donated $5. Everybody should donate. Let's do something!

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 6757
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bit late for that, no?

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A stadium conservancy should have been set up when the Tigers moved to Comerica Park. The Ilitch family management of the stadium limited it's use and the City of Detroit's acquiescence doomed it to a deteriorating hulk. Another example of demolition by neglect.

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The website looks great. It's great to see they are still working at this. And no, its not too late. They have until Aug 1st. The only way they are going to raise substantial money is to get the internet payment up and running though. I would be one proud Detroiter if they can pull this plan off.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all due respect to the people who want to preserve Tiger Stadium from dugout to dugout. I respect your feelings and memories about the stadium, feelings and memories that I share.

But why spend that kind of money -- $15 million or more -- to be the only city in the nation to memorialize an old ball park in such a grandiose way? In other cities, there is a plaque, or in the case of Yankee Stadium, there will be a park.

The question here seems even more pressing when there are such other important needs in our city.

Lo_to_d

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To me it would be a better equivalant to Cubs care park in Chicago, which gets incredible use by both yuppies and city youth. I'm sure it cost millions to build. Why doesn't Detroit deserve something great like this? To me it's kinda like saying why spend all that money on the beautiful riverwalk they are building. The bigger issue is finding someone smart enough to run the place(and the funds).

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 299
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it should be torn down and made for retail for the Corktown and Downtown area. A Home Depot should be built, and maybe a Target. A plaque and an area where a sizable (Bronze?)replica of the park can be seen when people visit should be enough to make the historical society proud.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 421
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this happens, it is first and foremost a major gift to the Corktown neighborhood. They are getting something similar to what they submitted to the city early on. They are getting a significant "destination" beyond what is already there, without the traffic and heavy crowds a larger preservation project might bring. It is a gift that is well-deserved. There might be more pressing needs, but this is something the Tiger Stadium Conservancy & the Corktown group have spent countless hours working on. I'm glad their efforts are finally getting somewhere.

Please don't compare this effort to Yankee Stadium You are speaking about two separate worlds. A better comparison would be with what Cleveland plans to do with League Park. This is not just about the stadium, but about benefiting the neighborhood like League Park would do.

Personally, I like the exterior renderings a lot and really glad they are putting the neon "Tiger Stadium" sign back where it belongs. However, I find the interior renderings disappointing. (Why can't they leave the upper and lower decks alone and bring the heritage section to the part of the stadium that will be leveled? I would love to sit under those upper deck rafters again.) Still I plan on making a donation as I am just grateful that a sizable portion of the stadium will still be around.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what the neighborhood wants....but I'd love to at least see the field preserved, and the dugouts, and maybe a few rows of stands. Let people use it for recreation. Let kids use it. Let people enjoy the dugouts where 100 years of baseball legends played.

But keeping it all would be exceedingly stupid.

Richie
Username: Richie

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This group should organize a tour before it is too late...

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think it should be torn down and made for retail for the Corktown and Downtown area. A Home Depot should be built, and maybe a Target."

These retailers are not coming to Detroit. Not there anyway. Detroit has NO shortage of empty, vacant lots or nonhistorical buildings that could be demo'd for it. Hell, there are even some around Corktown. There is no plan to do anything with the corner of Michigan and Trumbull but let the grass grow waist high. Please, people, this is Detroit. And I live in this city, so it's not me being a hateful suburbanite.
I just don't see what the urgency is to tear it down right now. It's not hurting anybody and nobody wants the land. So why now? They haven't torn down any number of other buildings that are in far worse shape.

What others have said is true: The conservancy waited way too long to start soliciting donations. It would have taken years to raise $15 million and they have a little more than a month. Carl Levin had said he'd try to get federal money to help, but we all know that won't happen in this economy and with Bush's war to pay for.

(Message edited by rhymeswithrawk on June 26, 2008)

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think it should be torn down and made for retail for the Corktown and Downtown area. A Home Depot should be built, and maybe a Target. A plaque and an area where a sizable (Bronze?)replica of the park can be seen when people visit should be enough to make the historical society proud."

I agree... call it Stadium Crossing or something.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city of Detroit doesn't have a single Home Depot or Target. Hell, we have what? One? Two? Major supermarket chains in the ENTIRE city. Do you honestly believe a big box retailer is going to build on hallowed ground in Corktown, a nice but small community? Not going to happen.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who needs home depot? Brooks lumber is on Trumbull across the street. wt?

Anyhow I don't think they need 15mill, I think they need $400,000 and a plan on how to get to 12-15mill as I read it.

Hoog
Username: Hoog

Post Number: 639
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tear that schitt down!

Bucho
Username: Bucho

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Home Depot on Meyers @ 7 mile...in the city...

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stand corrected, Bucho! I had no idea. Sorry.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Do you honestly believe a big box retailer is going to build on hallowed ground in Corktown, a nice but small community? Not going to happen."

^^^ there are more residents beyond Corktown to support retail. There are many new center, midtown, and downtown residents without major retail options.

Brooks Lumber is great but limited...people need more than screws and hammers and lumber to decorate their lofts, homes, and condos, etc.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also a Home Depot AND a Lowes (and a Target, for that matter) at Eastland Mall, which is practically in the city..and starving for lack of shoppers.
:-)

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Home Depot on 7 isn't starving for business @ all. I used to work there and still maintain a relationship with the management there. We don't need another HD in the city, a Target or something along those lines would be a better fit. We don't need any more Ghetto Retail 2.0 (check cashing, chinese food, wig/ beauty supply).

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know if the death fence has been completed around the stadium yet? Once it's up, you can't touch the Corner anymore, sealed away from the fans forever.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I should have phrased that better..both Home Despot and Lowes seem to be doing a good biz out at Eastland, as does the Target, but the stores in the mall itself have been steadily hurting worse for the past four years or so.

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we should move Tiger Stadium to City Airport and then we'll have two useless things at the same location. When a city council member goes to the airport, we'll have three.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What pisses me off is when projects like this occur, tearing down a huge building, then an empty lot sits there for years. Why waste the manpower? leave it there until you have a plan. And no, a parking lot is NOT a plan.

Kudos to the website, but I also think it's a little late.

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because it costs the city money to maintain Mallory. Why do we want to keep paying for something we don't use and probably will never use again? TEAR IT DOWN!

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The online donation link isn't functioning yet?

Will the conservancy have the opportunity to scale back the plan if the funds fall short? Since there isn't an alternative plan, can just the ballfield and a park be maintained by the conservancy until a better development plan comes along? That would at least keep the site clean and give the public a chance to stand (or play) on the same field as Cobb and Greenburg.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no cost to the city to tear down Tiger Stadium. The cost is being covered through the sale of the scrap metal.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no excuse for not keeping at least the field and dugouts. And since there are no official plans to build anything on the site yet, the field will end up still being there after demolition is done. Unless, of course, the contractor (MCM Management) ends up covering the field in a layer of crushed concrete. That's what MCM has done so often in its demo work at GM plants.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 395
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The donation link is indeed functioning:

http://www.savetigerstadium.or g/donate.htm

Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks harper. Earlier today the same webpage said that donations were only being accepted by mail. Apparently I don't know how to work the internet machine.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One question that's unanswered: What happens to your donation if they can't save the corner of the Corner? Is it refunded?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... I know some of the names of the people on the Conservancy board and none is a KK supporter, Rob. So I don't get what you're alluding to.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 922
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not even remotely funny RiW.

The true answer is that it will be used by the conservancy for whatever level of the preservation plan is fulfilled, aka just the field.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's just no way they're going to hit their goal in less than a month. :-( Not unless Ilitch suddenly discovers he has a heart or something, and we all know that ain't gonna happen. Sad.

Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry rhymeswithrawk, I should have used a smiley face or said just kidding. Post to be deleted in 3. 2. 1.

I donated to the conservancy, and that is the same question I was thinking about earlier. Ernie Harwell as the face gives me confidence that the money will be spent properly to fix up the site or make a memorial, if not returned.

Lo_to_d

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just donated. Send an email to all your friends and family who might care about this.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 912
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is an interesting idea to have a park in the old stadium.
With all the mixed uses. Could become a model development.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am still shocked that for all the talk about how sad people are the stadium is being torn down, no one is really posting lots of pictures anywhere of the progress on demolition.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got this e-mail. It addresses many questions about the conservancy. I still don't see how they can raise $15 million in a month. Efforts should have started in 1999.

Here's the e-mail:
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 8:15 PM
To: kelli b. kavanaugh
Subject: tiger stadium

It's hard to believe that it's been almost ten years since the last
game was played at Tiger Stadium.

It's even harder to believe that its fate is not yet set in stone.
While selective dismantling has begun on the building's northeast
corner, the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy is still working to save
"The Corner" and, perhaps most importantly, the field.

There has been lots of news stories about the ballpark over the years
and recently, the focus has been on its demo and an August 1 deadline
for the OTSC to raise funds to preserve its corner. Much of the
scuttlebutt I hear focuses on how quiet this organization has been
amongst all the shouting. "What are they doing?" -- "How will they
raise the money?" -- that sort of thing.

The truth is that lots of really good, positive stuff has been
happening, mostly under the radar.

There has been board building: we have State Rep. Steve Tobocman, Hall
of Fame broadcaster Ernie Harwell, SDBA president Kathy Wendler, past
president of the American Bar Assoc. Wallace Riley, Southwest Detroit
coach Steve Benavides, Dan Varner of Think Detroit/PAL and numerous
other passionate, talented and connected folks at the table (Go to
savetigerstadium.org/conservan cy.htm for a full list).

So now, we are at a place where we feel comfortable going public with
our plans. You can see renderings and download a detailed plan at
savetigerstadium.org. It's so not fluff. We've worked with Hamilton
Anderson and Associates (architecture), Ripken and Associates
(programming), Team Detroit (web design and marketing) and Zachary and
Associates (project finance) to make this thing real.

The simple explanation of what we want to do with the preserved
portion of the stadium (dugout to dugout, essentially) is to have
youth baseball played on the field, display baseball memorabilia, have
banquet and retail space and of course, some room devoted to the
history of the stadium itself.

The other parcels that the partial teardown of the stadium leave open
for development would be put out to bid by the Detroit Economic Growth
Corp.

The main key to the $15 million project is the securing of earmark
funds from Washington, DC. Senator Levin has long been an ally of the
redevelopment of the Stadium, and he has submitted an earmark request
and is confident that he will be bringing home some bacon this summer
for the project.

The bulk of the rest of the money will come from foundations and the
remainder, from the hoi polloi (that's you and me most everyone we
know).

And why should you care?

This project is essential to the redevelopment of Corktown, Detroit's
oldest neighborhood and one that is thriving despite a preponderance
of vacant lots and two monstrous vacant structures (take a wild guess
at what number two is.). Plus it is an opportunity to do something
that no other city in the US has done: preserve a meaningful portion
of a historic ballpark. Really, it's the perfect storm of historic
preservation, recreational opportunity and economic development.

There are three ways that you can help us in the short term.

1 - Check out our website (savetigerstadium.org), read about OTSC and,
if you feel so inclined, make an on-line donation. We are not looking
for big bucks at all -- more like $5 or $25. This part of our campaign
is about number of supporters more than number of dollars.

2 - Head to the Bureau of Urban Living tomorrow (7/3) for their First
Thursday -- a portion of the day's sales will be donated to our
coffers. Info at www.bureauliving.com.

3 - Save the date for Thursday, July 17. We will be hosting a
fund-raiser at the venerable Anchor Bar from 6:30 to 10 p.m. There
will be some music and a chance to talk with board members. The full
$10 cover will go to OTSC.

One last thing, OTSC will be featured on Detroit Today on Monday
morning at 10:15 or 10:30. So tune into WDET 101.9 FM to hear more
about what we've been up to.

Thanks for reading this lengthy email and please, do not hesitate to
ask me any questions.

Take care,
Kelli

Histeric

Post Number: 923
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithhawk

Although your intentions are appreciated in posting this email, please delete Kelli's phone number and email from your post. These are her personal digits and not for public consumption.

(Message edited by histeric on July 03, 2008)

Histeric

Post Number: 924
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 6:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, they don't need to raise the entire budget in a month. The repeating of that misinformation might actually discourage people from thinking that they have an achievable goal.

The amount that needs to be raised in a month is closer to 400K...which is an amount that should be easy to raise...if everyone would quit arguing and hit the DONATE button. That amount is the amount necessary to secure the remaining portion correctly so that redevelopment can take place. It is a shorter term benchmark that buys the time necessary to bring the larger funders commitments to the table in time to handle the longer term benchmarks. For example, the federal earmark that Levin has committed if the support can be demonstrated.

This is it folks. You can listen to Bush or Riley piss and moan about the past process and honestly, I have my own axes to grind, or you can join the OTSC and make it happen. At the end of the day, we still have a chance for a meaningful interpretive piece that in combination with future mixed use development, will be a centerpiece to this very important neighborhood.

As Kelly said in her email, this is your chance to send a message to the people who will fund the next stages of the project, if they hear your voice loud enough. 20,000 donations of $20 will almost ensure that the OTSC can proceed with the plan.

Please consider adding your voice and your dollars. And please send the OTSC link to your email lists. It could make the difference.

David7750
Username: David7750

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TO ALL...
FENWAY PARK WAS JUST RENOVATED AND NOW
CONSIDERED A JEWEL OF THE CITY...

TIGER STADIUM OPENED THE SAME YEAR -
THEIR IS NOTHING STUCTURALLY WRONG WITH
THE STADIUM.

IT SHOULD BE A TOURIST ATTRACTION -
LIKE THE 'FIELD OF DREAMS' IN IOWA.
TIGER STADIUM SHOULD HAVE AN ATTACHED
MUSEUM - AND TOURIST WILL COME.

BOYCOTT - LITTLE CAESARS PIZZA....NOW

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just sent $20. Will also try to make it to the fundraiser.

David7750
Username: David7750

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

July 9, 2008 - Demolition expands of historic Detroit Tiger Stadium - seats visible???

July 9,2008 - Demolition expands at historic Detroit Tiger Stadium - seats visible??
photo by: David L. Malhalab / MNS Photo
Why are there still seats left in historic Detroit Tiger Stadium - when hundreds of people wanted to buy them during the auction of memorabilia that netted the City of Detroit only $300,000.,(undocumented).?????

Is this payment for the demolition crews that have to pay the City $300,000. if the entire Stadium is demolished?

How much are the remaining seats worth?

And still the TRUTH hasn't been told by the Media - about the lies by Tom Monaghan, the City, Mike Ilitch, Ken Cockrel, George Jackson and the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation.

Its time Ernie Harwell (w/o Spicer),Mickey Briggs, the Fetzer Foundation, the Baseball Hall of Fame, and others to step up and condemn publicly - the demolition of historic Detroit Tiger Stadium and tell the Truth as they know it.

'Stranded at the Corner', the Tiger Stadium documentary DVD is still available - contact: Peter C. Riley (313 402 4565). It has archival footage of the Tigers and Lions and events leading up to the 'demolition by neglect' of Tiger Stadium. A must see for all who have visited Tiger Stadium.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 633
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David, tons of seats went unsold and others could not be removed. Many that were mailed to people had to be replaced at no charge.

When you rant without the facts it leaves little credibility for any valid points you may have.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this website still up? http://www.oldtigerstadiumcons ervancy.org/ Seems it is under construction or something.

So, um, how does one donate? Is there any hope? I'm willing to give maybe a few hundred bucks.

My pops never took me to a game at Tiger Stadium. By the time I was old enough and could actually visit Detroit, it was too late. I will forever regret that I didn't get to go to a single game there, despite growing up in Michigan and visiting relatives in Detroit every summer. Saving something would mean a lot to me. Maybe someday just to touch the field or sit in the dugout would take some of that regret away.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2119
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome, this is the website you want:

http://www.savetigerstadium.or g/

I donated $100 last week.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2120
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Needless to say, I think this is a great cause, having already donated. The only very minor complaint I have is that it would be nice to get a running tally of how close they are to reaching their $400,000 goal by August 1st. That might encourage more donating.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI, I was able to find an email (don't know if it works or not) on this link: http://www.baseballprospectus. com/unfiltered/?p=934 the email is SaveTigerStadium@gmail.com

I just sent an email with your recommendation Dougw. I agree this would really help. Would it be worth maybe contacting the newspapers and the TV stations and get them to run this front and center for the next few weeks? I don't live in Detroit so I don't know if this is already done.

Is there a real chance here? I'd hate to throw a few hundred bucks into a lost cause. If they can't save it, what happens to my money? I don't necessarily want it back, I just want it to go to a good cause if it can't be used to save the stadium.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 995
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So how was the Anchor tonight? I had a previous engagement and couldn't make it.

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 4:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Made my $40 donation tonight.

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 4:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Step up people! It may feel surreal and you may disagree with the decisions made by leadership in Detroit. Though, the facts are that preserving many priceless memories are worth the cost of admission to 1 current Detroit Tigers games.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 161
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just made a $68 donation, hope enough others do what they can as well.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 163
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on folks, donate...

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only donate, but write to the local media to provide better coverage of the effort. Newspaper articles on the stadium give no mention to the fact that there is website where you can donate and it's the the same with sports talk stations