Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » The Start of an Urban Garden and Neighbourhood Gathering Place » Archive through June 08, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 447
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally some rain lol!
Thanks again Blueidone! Planted the herb garden today and a raised fruit bed last night. I will post some pictures on the myspace page tomorrow.

Cub

Post Number: 450
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Pictures up at myspace.com/georgiastcommunity garden

(Message edited by cub on May 31, 2008)

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone give me advice on planting cantaloupe? I started growing it in the house, and will transplant the sprouts outside soon.

Cub

Post Number: 452
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can go here. http://www.ehow.com/how_9859_g row-melons.html.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 401
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub - did you plant any hills of Butternut squash? They do great in MI and (if you plant enough) will last you well into the winter if you store them properly.

Cub

Post Number: 453
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Planting squash, okra, spinach, cucumbers, pole beans, bush beans and sugar peas on Monday.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 402
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, your garden looks nice.

Cub

Post Number: 455
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you!

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cub for info on Melons. I'm good on Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Peppers, Cabbage & Collards.
Your garden is awesome, and so are you. Glad to see this here in the City.

Cub

Post Number: 456
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your welcome Westsiiiide, and Thank You!

Cub

Post Number: 457
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Put up a couple more pics on the Myspace page.

myspace.com/georgiastcommunity garden

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you need zucinnis? started some got no room for them,

Reddog289

Post Number: 326
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yeah Django hauling buckets does suck.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 666
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it certainly does, thank god for the rain this weekend. Its saved my back a day of work.

Cub

Post Number: 458
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will take your extra zuccinni.

Reddog289

Post Number: 328
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hopefully this weekend i can get it out to you, if it stays alive, have to reread this thread find out where your at. i,m in wayne so it might take a while. just gotta remember BetterMade i,ll find it. I got 6 plants at the most. We have a garden at one of my schools,amazing how good arms kids have around harvest time.

Reddog289

Post Number: 331
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

found out where the garden is, glad we got the rain and the zucs are still alive. they didn,t float away,

Django

Post Number: 725
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to thank Blueidone for the kind donation to cub and I. I went and picked up a bunch of semi ridgid black sprinkler hose from advanced plumbing today. Its meant to be put underground. 100' was only $10, plus fittings. I know Home Depot wanted about $80 for I believe 50 or 75' of green garden hose. Just a heads up for thoes who need to run a long line to their garden but are on a tight budget. Thank god I wont be haulin buckets anymore. Now I have some leftover $$ for a wheelbarrel.

Thanks again Blue.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are very welcome..but again, to me it's just a few dollars...it's the heart and soul that you guys are putting into this garden that is important. You are "paying it forward" by planting and nurturing these things for the betterment of everyone who can enjoy the fruits (or vegetables :-)) of your labor.

I love the pics on the website..with some nicer weather coming I'm sure you'll see the results of or work shortly.

I am going to try and drive by sometime in the next couple of weeks to take a look.

Cub

Post Number: 461
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monday night (spur of the moment) we had our first bonfire. It must have been what the neighborhood needed because there has been non- stop cleaning action. I finally got started on the lots across the street. This is where the fruit orchard will be. There were five of us. We trimmed some trees and started on the tall grass until we were told by a friend that the city was in the area cutting grass. So we stopped cutting the grass to save gas lol. By the end of the night the benches and wooden garden chairs that were donated by a neighbor were painted and the garden is really starting to pop. Got some spinach planted and thinned out some collards that I had planted from seed. We shouldnt have a shortage of them. I think a total of sixty collards and forty tomato plants.

Reddog289

Post Number: 335
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so goes the plan for me to go to bed before 3am. i noticed my collards are being eaten, could be the dog, but i see no bugs . i,ll ask the man who gave me them. ain,t nothin like seeing your plants pop outta the soil. i get ansy, think oh no they ain,t gonna pop then bam it happens.

Cub

Post Number: 462
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the new pics at Myspace.com/georgiastcommunity garden.com
We watched the NBA Finals on a 10'x12' screen at the garden. Will be doing it again Sunday.

Django

Post Number: 762
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, I need to get a flatscreen in my garden now. Guess you gotta keep up with the Jones, I mean Cubs. LOL

Cub

Post Number: 463
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am getting about ten yards of woodchips delivered to the garden today buy The Greening of Detroit. WOOOHOOO!!

Django

Post Number: 779
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, I still havnt finished the rocks, do you have another bag of mortar? Should be masons mortar not concrete. I believe quikcrete makes a masons mix which would be fine. Ill try and get over there sometime this week, may be able to get a few more done. or at least started.

Cub

Post Number: 464
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going to the Depot tomorrow and i will get a bag.

Cub

Post Number: 466
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got a few new pics up. Got some shots of a rabbit in the garden. I also have a picture of a store/house across the street from the garden. I have this idea of starting a small grocery store and community center. i need some help from someone willing to help with some grant writing.

www.myspace.com/georgiastcommunitygarden

(Message edited by cub on June 07, 2008)

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 607
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watch out everyone! Cub is taking over the whole hood!

Cub

Post Number: 467
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its turning into something bigger than I even imagined. I didn't realize it would take off this fast and the unity brings tears to my eyes every time I think about it.

Reddog289

Post Number: 336
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i,m kinda bummed that i haven,t made it out there yet this weekend, had to find a missing kid of mine, plus i lost your address and the computer was down for a few. No hauling buckets tonite and the zuc,s are still green.