Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :::Tiger Stadium: Memories, Demolition & Saving Part of It::: » Video of Tiger Sadium in 1956 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://ashowoftheirown.mlblogs .com/archives/2008/04/the_dan_ capurso_video.html

Mickey Mantle hits two taters. Mostly Tiger Stadium (Briggs then) footage, but beginning has a couple of shots around town.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1894
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazing. Made me very sad, all that history lost. Not just in Detroit, but all across America.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But at least Mike Ilitch can charge $25 for a parking spot and hundreds of dollars per ticket for a suite so we can have a competitive ball club, right? I mean, surely his welfare outweighs history. I mean, the Cubs and Red Sox can't be competitive in their historic stadiums... right?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 959
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and we couldn't have renovated our current stadium for a mere fraction of a cost and not cost the tax payers anything. That is just unheard of. The Cochrane Plan hmmm like people would have wanted to stay in tiger stadium and not have destroyed and displaced history forever. Naaaaa...

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This video is exactly 28 years to the day before I was born! It has always been a tradition that I go to the Tigers game on my birthday. If they are on the road I we would always go to a restaurant and watch on tv and cheer as if we were there.

The ballpark will fall, but some traditions will never die.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 960
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://ballparks.phanfare.com/ slideshow.aspx?username=ballpa rks&album_id=309547

these pics show TS in its glory days its pretty cool as well.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 416
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

almost made me cry, don,t do that much. wish my folks had a computer my dad would love to see that. even though i,m not yet 40 watching 3 of my favorite players in that 7 min was great.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 240
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Al Kaline almost cost Mickey Mantle the triple crown that year. Kaline drove in 128 runs which was his career high and Mantle ended with 130 RBI to win the AL Triple Crown. I believe Kaline and Mantle traded the top spot in that category for most of the season and Mickey passed Al at the end of September.

Reddog289

Post Number: 419
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Al and the Mick as a kid i for some reason were my heros, almost 40 years after that film was shot a former co-worker reminded me that Kaline was on Mantle tail back in 56, he couldn,t remember what he was doing at the time but he knew his Tiger trivia.

Treinman
Username: Treinman

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban... WHOA, those pix are awesome! I think you owe my company some money, because I just spent the last hour looking and reminiscing about Tiger Stadium.

There are three slide-shows there.

The 2003 one is depressing, but then in 2007 at least the field looks LOTS better.

-- Tim

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 66
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 5:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stumbled on this thread and can't thank you folks enough for the video and the slideshow. In 1956, I was three years old and it wasn't until a couple of years later that I realized my next door neighbor was a Detroit Tiger star....Al Kaline. As I got older, I would go to many, many games with Al...two and a half hours prior to the game. I hung around the mostly empty ballpark smelling the concession stands cooking hot dogs and making popcorn. Usually Al's wife Louise would come to the games and I would sit with her in, what was then, Section 16 just under the overhang behind the Tigers' dugout. After the game, I could go into the clubhouse (not locker room, but clubhouse) and wait for Al and drive home with him. I was the luckiest kid in the world. I am long gone from Detroit, but this forum keeps me connected in some way. I loved Tiger Stadium and had some of the greatest times in my life there watching the Tigers and Lions.

Reddog289

Post Number: 441
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharms, youre a lucky dog what great memories. That is a great video.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 925
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love memories. Let's make some more at The Corner.

http://www.savetigerstadium.or g

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4891
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I donated. Let's make it happen and save what we can. Hopefully I will get to stand at home plate some time and take a swing.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I donated and have urged everyone I know to give what they can, even if it's only $5. I think if it was made clear what would happen to your money if they can't save the corner of The Corner, they'd get more money. I know that's the difference between me donating $100 and $500.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 422
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've donated and have encouraged others on other message boards to do so. It's a great plan and will be such a plus for Detroit. The thought of it not happening is just *#@$ depressing. Any amount is appreciated as the show of support can say as much as the final total.