Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :::Tiger Stadium: Memories, Demolition & Saving Part of It::: » Demolition begins at Tiger Stadium « Previous Next »
Archive through June 30, 2008Mackinaw30 06-30-08  6:50 pm
Archive through July 01, 2008Jrvass30 07-01-08  12:17 pm
Archive through July 08, 2008Tigersfan930 07-08-08  8:36 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 923
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just donated 25$

Anyone plan on matching me?

Jmarx
Username: Jmarx

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are really knocking it down now. Below are some pictures from tonight (stopped on the way to the Tiger game):

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 403
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, JMarx. Wasn't in the neighborhood today.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pics, JMarx. Those of us who are transplanted Detroiters appreciate the updates. You know, I look at these pics and I get a sick feeling in my stomach. When you see real progress on the demolition, it hits you kind of hard.

Props to David7750. You are so dead on.

Chefdave
Username: Chefdave

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree I had to move out of state last year and appreciate the photos and the updates. Thank you

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too Bad all those windows had been covered with aluminum siding all these years.

David7750
Username: David7750

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

July 9, 2008 - Demoliton expands at historic Detroit Tiger Stadium - seats visible???

July 9, 2008, Demolition expands at historic Detroit Tiger Stadium - seats visible??? photo by: David L. Malhalab

Why are there still seats left in historic Detroit Tiger Stadium - when hundreds of people wanted to buy them during the auction of memorabilia that netted the City of Detroit only $300,000.,(undocumented).?????

Is this payment for the demolition crews that have to pay the City $300,000. if the entire Stadium is demolished?

How much are the remaining seats worth?

And still the TRUTH hasn't been told by the Media - about the lies by Tom Monaghan, the City, Mike Ilitch, Ken Cockrel, George Jackson and the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation.

Its time Ernie Harwell (w/o Spicer),Mickey Briggs, the Fetzer Foundation, the Baseball Hall of Fame, and others to step up and condemn publicly - the demolition of historic Detroit Tiger Stadium and tell the Truth as they know it.

'Stranded at the Corner', the Tiger Stadium documentary DVD is still available - contact: Peter C. Riley (313 402 4565). It has archival footage of the Tigers and Lions and events leading up to the 'demolition by neglect' of Tiger Stadium. A must see for all who have visited Tiger Stadium.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3377
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the photos, everyone. Detroit media on the internet has been pretty stingy with them, but that's nothing new.

Will be in town in mid-August. Hope there's something left to see then.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took about 50 photos and some video today for those of you who couldn't make it by the Corner today:

http://s215.photobucket.com/al bums/cc280/buildingsofdetroit/ Tiger%20Stadium/Tiger%20Stadiu m%20demolition%207-9-08/

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1847
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting to see the stadium without the metal sheeting on it before they tear it down.

Jmarx

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was especially interesting to me was that they had removed a good section of the white aluminum siding that was added in the 1960s/70s...peeled back, another layer of history is exposed...the exterior details, windows, etc probably hadn't seen sunlight in 40+ years...

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 692
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i sure am glad i got some of the dirt from the base line

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 331
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What was especially interesting to me was that they had removed a good section of the white aluminum siding that was added in the 1960s/70s...peeled back, another layer of history is exposed...the exterior details, windows, etc probably hadn't seen sunlight in 40+ years...

So much for the myth that it was "all brick" under there.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there will probably be a lot of that - parts of the building that haven't seen the light of day in decades.

Is there any timetable as to how long this demo will take? I'm planning a trip to the area for later this month...

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think it's going to take long. I left at 5:30 and drove by it again about four hours later and there was a huge gap in the upper deck between the scoreboard and the light tower. Considering how much was destroyed on Day One, I'm guessing they'll be ready to tear down the rest of it come July 31 if the conservancy doesn't raise the necessary money.
I also posted some short video clips of today's rancor on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Hsiz53M1TdU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Jsb4UnBTQbI

Mallory

Post Number: 268
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Admittedly I am not in the know with all of the moving and shaking in Detroit, being that I live in another state now, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. I agree with Hawk that the demolition seems to be moving pretty fast. Are there actual plans for building on those grounds? I'm not talking about "well, maybe's" I mean a serious project for post demolition Michigan and Trumbull.

Look how many years the Hudsons building sat before they finally tore it down. This seems like someone is on a mission.

Thanks.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2909
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit: quick to knock em down, not so quick to do anything with the empty lot.

Madison-lenox-donovan-sanders- statler-atcha !

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2178
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think they are working round the clock, or at least on two shifts, because there was much progress between 7pm when i drove home last night and 8am this mornig when i drove to work

Jmarx

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was there on Tuesday, they stopped for the night around 945PM. Probably two shifts, but I doubt it is a 24hr demo. (I could be wrong, of course)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2449
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have already attained a sense of "closure" about Tiger Stadium, but I have to admit that when I was driving down Trumbull, Thursday morning, and saw that huge top-to-bottom gash, it truly hurt. I actually gasped and winced. I would rather not see the rest of the process, but my place of work is so close to it that I will not be able to avoid witnessing The Fall.
Damn, damn, damn.

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 300
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it freaks me out, picture I found, looking right into the stadium http://www.flickr.com/photos/b icycledriveway/2656714953/in/p hotostream/

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 448
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i,d better get down there before it,s all gone. at least they got rid of that Yankee Stadium green that was there the last time i saw the inside.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New photos from today at The Corner. They've started tearing into the left-center bleachers:
http://s215.photobucket.com/al bums/cc280/buildingsofdetroit/ Tiger%20Stadium/Tiger%20Stadiu m%20demolition%207-10-08/

Video of Thursday's carnage on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =HTziHahulIc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =FMEG4f7eQJY

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2917
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"it freaks me out, picture I found, looking right into the stadium"

Thats shot through a hole in the plastic covering the fence.

Can you say "gaping hole" ?

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why are there still seats left in historic Detroit Tiger Stadium - when hundreds of people wanted to buy them during the auction of memorabilia that netted the City of Detroit only $300,000.,(undocumented).?????

Hmm... from the pictures (and not just one that you show), it looks like many thousands of seats were sold (or removed). There is not an unlimited market for them, and the more you sell, the less they are worth. There were what, 40,000 of them? There is not much the average person can even do with them.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: the unsold seats.....

There are hundreds of those funky green wooden slat seats from 30 years ago (much cooler and valuable than the plastic ones that replaced them IMO) still in storage, waiting on buyers. The market for stadium seats is not anywhere near what many people imagine it is.

But urinals? That's another matter! The items that attracted the highest bids at last year's auction were the stadium's old rusty gang urinals.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huggybear-- I had no idea that there are still any green seats left in storage. Is it easy to buy one, or do you have to wade through thick City of Detroit bureaucracy?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 809
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd buy a couple green wooden seats.

Richard_bak

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For green seats... see Detroit Athletic Co., next to the park. Ask for Steve Thomas or his brother Dave. And tell 'em Bak wants his 15% commission.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They didn't sell the gang urinals. They sold the urinals from the clubhouses.

Richard_bak

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody know someone who bought one of those troughs? And what in God's name they intend to do with it?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3386
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably going to p........well, never mind.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 810
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ernie Harwell once said he would by 1 for Miss Lulu's flowers. Of course that was back when they had the house in Farmington, before they moved to assisted living in Novi.

Richard_bak

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to someone at Schneider's (sp?), the company that ripped out and auctioned the stuff, some fella who was the new proud owner of one of those troughs said he was going to ice down a few cases of beer in it and have a bunch of people over. The Schneider's guy's response was: "Don't invite me."

Too bad for Lulu and Ernie...so much for "the trough by the side of the road."

Treinman
Username: Treinman

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sure seems like they could’ve sold more at that auction. I was in the park a few times that October. I think they sold only about 15 – 20 bleacher sections. (I was lucky enough to get a 4-foot section.) There are 10,000 bleacher seats!

We still have cases of bottles of dirt, from our company “A Piece of the Field”, (not so subtle plug there...) but nowhere to sell them. I think the Detroit Athletic Co. still has some... They sold them for a while at Comerica Park, but then they wanted to "distance themselves from the stadium". Yeah, great move…

-- Tim

Mallory

Post Number: 270
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I'd rather watch video of someone tearing down the Silverdome than of Tiger Stadium. There's just something inherently wrong about watching this carnage.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BuildingsofDetroit.com has added a slew of historic photos, demolition photos and photos from inside the park last fall before they started destroying it.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if New Yorkers are trying to save parts of Yankee Stadium? From what I heard, Yankee Stadium will be demolished and made in to parkland. Yankee Stadium does have history, but Tiger Stadium is older. I think that it is sad that ESPN and MLB made this big deal about Yankee Stadium closing, when in 1999 Tiger Stadium did not an All-Star Game or a ESPN season long tribute. But I guess thats because they are New York and we are the bastard step-child of the country!

Richard_bak

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An interesting article in this week's (July 14) issue of New York magazine about harvesting relics at Yankee Stadium.

http://nymag.com/news/sports/4 8329/index1.html

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought they were turning Yankee Stadium into a parking lot, not parkland. I might be wrong, though.
But I agree: Why didn't TS get to host the 1999 All-Star Game? Probably because Ilitch didn't try to land it. He didn't want to draw more attention to the fact that he was abandoning such a historic stadium so that he could line his pockets with more cash.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 650
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad Tiger Stadium didn't get the '99 All-Star game because the 1971 game is still regarded as the greatest in All-Star history and many fans around the country still associate the stadium with that game.
It featured -
1) 20 future Hall of Famers (no game will ever come close to matching this-the end of the great 50's/60's players and the beginning of the '70's stars)
2) The greatest homer in the history of the All-Star game-Reggie's shot off the light tower estimated at 512 ft.
3) The first All-Star African American starting pitcher (and the 2nd)
4) The last All-Star game for Roberto Clemente
5) 2 future Hall of Fame mgrs (including Sparky)
Every All-star game has been downhill since for me.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ho-lee schitt, guys, driving home from work tonight and noticed one of the light towers was missing. So I headed over there, and HALF THE LEFT FIELD UPPER DECK HAS BEEN COLLAPSED ONTO ITSELF. Not sure if it was intentional or if it collapsed after being structurally weakened. Incredibly jarring. Biggest jolt since demo started in earnest. Photos will be up on www.buildingsofdetroit.com.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 5:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone cares, I posted a couple photos from tonight as well as my memories of the left field upper deck here: http://callmequami.livejournal .com/163540.html

Mallory

Post Number: 275
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great writing, 'hawk!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2943
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info and photos, Rawk!

When Dave and I were at Tiger Stadium around 7pm last evening, we were "warned" by one of the construction crew that within an hour or so, that whole section of the left field right where it adjoined center field would be crashing down. We didn't stay due to another commitment, although I'm not sure I would have wanted to see it fall.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 668
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hudsons demo was like ripping a band aid off with a quick clean swipe. Tiger Stadium is like pulling it off in slow motion as the hairs stick like your memories. It's a painful, bloody mess.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They just demolished the second light tower in left field about an hour ago.

And then there were six.

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To add insult to injury, one of the rotating banner pictures on the site right now (and one thats up as I was reading this thread) is of a hugely spacious and anti-intimate setting of Comerica. Ahh progress.

Look at the park in those night time pics not wanting to give up and come down. Crazy how much you can humanize a building.

(Message edited by titancub on July 22, 2008)