Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :::Tiger Stadium: Memories, Demolition & Saving Part of It::: » 1984 World Series « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2685
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have picture or memories they'd like to share from that day?

Preferably, I'm looking for pictures from when the light shined over Tiger Stadium.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did we win? I was on LSD that year.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 796
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately all I remember is Bubba Helms.

a

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 624
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're looking for the "Anno Domini 1984" poster with the light from the night sky shining on Tiger Stadium they were still selling at Detroit Athletic Co. by the stadium last year.

"He don't wanna walk ya" - Sparky to Gibby.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey! Thats me! (in the car).

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 314
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a guy who is still tending a patch of grass he stole off the field!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9253
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-Detro it-Tigers-World-Series-Champio nship-Poster_W0QQitemZ15026483 3456QQihZ005QQcategoryZ37597QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVie wItem

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 271
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, the '84 Tigers were a lot of fun, going from wire-to-wire leading the league. One of only 3 teams to do that, if memory serves. Had an incredible start but Toronto tested them by the end of the year. The thing is tho', after the great start, the Tigers were expected to win the World Series. For them not to win the World Series would have been an upset. On the other hand, the Tigers were underdogs in the World Series against the Cardinals in the '68 World Series and Detroit got off to a horrible start and fell behind three games to one before making a great comeback. The '06 Tigers should have won the World Series. They were a bit overwhelmed by their success and tightened up in their series against the Cardinals, who barely had a .500 season. Who knows when the Tigers will make it to the World Series again. I believe the management messed with the chemistry of the team in assembling some great talent on paper that has only recently played up to expectations.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2689
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 401don. :-)

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I owned the security company at the time that had the Riverfront Towers downtown.

I got a call on saturday that the Secret Service was at Riverfront and wanted to talk to me.

When I arrived they told me that Vice-President Bush was coming in game day by chopper to the vacant Det.News/freep lot next to our parking structure. No cars were allowed to park on that lot side and the Secret Service guys were stationed on all levels of the parking garage.

Management of Riverfront went nuts and kept insisting " YOU CAN'T DO THAT The Secret Service was very unimpressed with management's protests.

When the tigers won we could hear the roar at Riverfront. What a great night.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2694
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Tiger's won?

Silly me. :-)

I guess I'll have to delete my 3rd post.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 252
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

401don, my aunt has a poster of that shot in her condo, but it says "Bless You Boys"...good ol' Al

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 314
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove a bus back to the garage that both windshields were kicked out and the roof was caved in during the celebration!

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 277
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall someone being killed outside of one of the coney island restaurants downtown that night. And people say that hockey is a violent sport. At least they only attack one another on the ice.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anno Domini 1984:

http://www.detroitathletic.com /servlet/the-1216/Original-Ann o-Domini-1984/Detail

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 264
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the scrolling marquee at the top of that page Rhymeswithrawk

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a mass comm. student at Wayne State in '84 when a professor I had asked if anyone was interested in being interns for the week for NBC. Duh. Me and two friends of mine worked for them for the week, basically as gophers, but there were some exciting memories.

I remember being sent to Metro to pick up Vin Scully and Joe Garagiola. Vin was cool, but Joe was a prick, though I hear that he is a pretty nice guy usually.

I remember one of my classmates was getting hit on by Bob Costas' wife at a party at the top of the Ren Cen. She was hot!

I remember being sent to White Castle to buy a boatload of burgers and take them to all of the camera crew during one of the games. That would include one camera guy who was on the roof. So me and another guy were on the roof of Tiger Stadium during one of the games. I kept thinking that if I fell, I'd be world famous. Oh sure, I'd be dead, but I'd be famous. I kept walking a very straight line.

I remember the middle of the 8th inning in the final game when we were sent to the locker room. Our job was to act as blockers so that none of the reporters would crowd the camera shot. Stu Klitenic nudged my shoulder and told me to move out of the way, I turned, told him no and stood my ground. In the meantime, the trophy presentation, the champagne, all of it right in front of my eyes. And in the end, NBC sent me a check for $300 bucks. Not a bad week's worth of work in 1984 when you're a third year college student. I still have my two media credentials to remind me of that incredible week. Go Tigers!