Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :::Tiger Stadium: Memories, Demolition & Saving Part of It::: » "Friends of Tiger Stadium" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all, a quote from their web site:

"All I can say is shame on Mike Illich, Detroit's Economic Development Corp. and the Detroit City Council for allowing one of Michigan's most historically important and revered buildings to be destroyed."

Now time for my opinions:

1. Spelling Mike "Illich" correctly would be respectful and much more professional.

2. What has this group done to protect the stadium? Other than creating a web site and adding a link to the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy web site, a group which is actually taking action and attempting to raise money to preserve a portion of the stadium, I see no action. As far as I can tell, their only plan of action is to write your local congressman, something we all know is about as effective as asking a nun if she has any crack.

3. What were their plans for the stadium before the demolition? Their web site fails to mention what their plans for preservation were.

4. The constant use of the word "I" leads me to belive this isn't even an organized group, but simply an individual trying to voice his opinion view the world wide web.

I would love to hear further information or opinions regarding this group, especially from those who are actually members of the "Friends of Tiger Stadium."

Here's the link to the web site:

http://www.tigerstadium.org/ho me.html

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that site has been up for about three or four years, only under a different name ("Save Tiger Stadium" or something like that). Peter Riley has been the most consistent and proactive supporter of the park's preservation since it closed. Peter's heart is in the right place. He always put his money where his mouth was (he organized a pair of games at the stadium, badgered City Council, underwrote a documentary, among other activities). Dave Mahalab (another earnest fellow who never made it past the first round in grade-school spelling bees) also is actively involved and has been posting on this board and others in a last-ditch attempt to keep at least a little piece of the stadium standing at The Corner.

David7750
Username: David7750

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Richard its beneath you to make a comment about my spelling - ILITCH is spelled right. Any misspellings were inadvertent. I have a UM-D BGS.
I checked -------
Web Results: Ilitch Holdings, Inc.
Ilitch Holdings was established in 1999 to provide all companies owned by Michael and/or Marian Ilitch with professional and technical services.

Peter C.Riley's website is:
WWW.PRESERVETIGERSTADIUM.COM
You can buy his documentary dvd about the 'demoliton by neglect' of Tiger Stadium -
'Stranded at the Corner' thru
the website or call (313 402 4565).

Also go to: MYFOXDETROIT.COM - DAVID7750 - to read my comments about Tiger Stadium.

DAVID L. MALHALAB, Sgt DPD Retired

Richard_bak

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Dave. And I misspelled your name in my post. Those who live in glass stadiums and all that....

Keep up the good fight....

David7750
Username: David7750

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amgasper01

Ilitch - Illich however you spell the name -
is he a FELON? We will see. Investigation continues..................... .

He took $2- $12 million dollars from the City of Detroit for the maintenance and security of historic Detroit Tiger Stadium - photos,media reports and Ebay auctions show that he failed to maintain and secure the Stadium, as it was in 1999.

He must be held accountable for the actual demolition of Tiger Stadium - but he is not the only one, and the loss of revenue from Tiger Stadium, as an entertainment venue since 1999.

NOTE: Richard Bak, an internationally known author, wrote the award winning script for the Peter C. Riley funded documentary dvd - 'Stranded at the Corner' buy a copy today (313 402 4565).

Richard_bak

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I'm famous in Malaysia. Look for me on the remainder tables, between the fishheads and boiled turtles.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7121
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all there is NO investigation into whether Mike Ilitch is a felon... nor is there likely to be.

Second... yes he is responsible for the loss of revenue at Tiger Stadium... partly because he's steered all events to Comerica Park, which he's still paying for. Is that a crime... no. If it were, he'd have been prosecuted long ago for not steering more business towards Cobo Arena instead of the Fox Theatre.

Let's not let our emotions rule over rational thought...

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have made the whole place into a Detroit Tiger and Baseball Museum with all sorts of areas of displays, batting cages to play in for kids and adults, other video games and activities to be played out on the lawn area. I would have roofed it and redid the grass into turf. I'd have seats saved and pictures everywhere and even have guests like old Tiger players come in for talks and for mini fantasy plays on the field with people. This could have been a real boon of jobs and revenue for Detroit but, typical of Detroit and most American cities, tear it all down and a parking lot is born. That is what makes Europe and places like it so special is that they keep the ruins and refurbish things. They keep their old world history and culture while the US just builds strip malls and parking lots, banks upon banks and restaurants upon restaurants. Sad. :-(

Oh, my brother in law's cousins, the Sklarski sisters married Gibson and Rozema(ex Tigers). I went to the wedding.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would never happen because the team's owner is a jerk ass and wants to distance himself and his team as far from Tiger Stadium as he can.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 718
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing says old world history like video games and fake grass.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2750
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, I had a similar idea about what could have been done with Tiger Stadium. My idea would have made a portion of the stadium a Michigan sports museum celebrating all Michigan sports. The field would be saved to have the fantasy camp ballgames you talked about as well as pick-up softball games in the spring and summer and touch football games in the fall. Where in Michigan do we have something like this? Or well another missed opportunity for Detroit and Southeast Michigan.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just received an e-mail from Savetigerstadium.org opening with the statement below. I've already contributed and thought all of the short term financial goals had been met.

"Urgent Need for Immediate Funding

Although we have received sufficient pledges to meet our initial obligations to the City of Detroit, we have an urgent need for immediate additional funding in order to meet deadlines imposed by the City. The OTSC's next deadline is to raise $169,000 by September 8. If we don't succeed, the City intends to demolish the entire stadium unless we meet this deadline."

Liberal_democrat
Username: Liberal_democrat

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got that same email.

WTF? They met their deadline! Whats with the extortion for even more funds? Whats to say that if they meet this deadline that they wont demand more the next month?

I simply don't trust the city of Detroit.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city has set certain benchmarks for the Conservancy to meet in order for the Conservancy to show that it can raise enough money to finance the entire project. It is not extortion, it's simply smart business. Why would the city agree to let an organization control the stadium who they believe doesn't have the capacity to raise enough money to do anything with it? It sounds like a recipe for another "fabulous ruin" to me.

Remember that a project like this requires ongoing fundraising. I imagine that you'll be hearing a lot more from the Conservancy as the project progresses. I hope that all of us are able to donate enough to keep the project alive in the short term.

In the long run, Senators Levin and Stabenow have gotten the Senate to approve a $4mm earmark for the project. Additionally, historic tax credits and new market tax credits are available. This thing has a real chance to work as long as the Conservancy can make it through the next few months.

That's my long way of saying, please donate today! www.savetigerstadium.org

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry, everything I've read here stated that the deadlines have been met and new ones are several months in the future. Nothing has ever been mentioned about a September deadline at all. I've given a fair sum as a donation and will not donate again. Ongoing fundraising is certainly understood but don't go back to those who just gave!

Drm

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rick, the Conservancy's e-mail list mostly includes those who have already donated - it's equally important to spread the message to your family and friends. It will take all of us chipping in to make this thing happen.

By the way, the "official" news about the Conservancy will come through e-mail updates and on its blog at www.savetigerstadium.wordpress .com.

Thanks for your support!

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 736
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drm, maybe you can help me. I never got an answer to my question about what happens to donations if the project doesn't go ahead? I e-mailed the Conservancy but got no response. I made a small donation ($20) but probably would up it to $50 if I knew what would happen in the event things fall apart.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^According to this article some of the money from the August 8th deadline would go to the city if the March 1st deadline isn't met. There's also money needed for security and other maintenance costs.
http://news.moneycentral.msn.c om/provider/providerarticle.as px?feed=AP&date=20080729&id=89 49588

It's a little disconcerting that they didn't respond to your question assuming that a reasonable amount of time has past.

Drm

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the answer I received:

quote:

We fully expect to spend donated money in the fight to save Tiger Stadium. However, in the unlikely event that we don't succeed and we haven't spent all donations while fighting to save the Stadium, we would donate any remaining money to an organization consistent with the OTSC's mission.