Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :::Tiger Stadium: Memories, Demolition & Saving Part of It::: » Barbara-Rose Collins stirs the pot « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 405
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080715/NEW S01/80715090

Councilwoman Barbara-Rose Collins said she supports razing the entire stadium. Collins said she remembers when the Detroit Tigers were one of only two major league teams who refused to sign a black player.

“I know there’s a lot of nostalgia for it, and people are crying,” she said. “I don’t have any fond memories of it.”

Collins also said keeping part of the stadium could impede growth in Corktown, and the remaining portion of the stadium would be useless.

“There’s no purpose for it, except for a Dracula movie,” she said.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 645
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the attitude among most people now with anything is "If an idiot on council is against it then it must be worth saving." Her opinion can only help the rescue effort.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus frickin' Christ. I understand that there was segregation at Tiger Stadium, but come on. Barbara-Rose was in diapers when it was done away with. By her logic, they should tear down other buildings in Detroit, like the Guardian, Penobscot, Buhl, First National Bank ...

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 272
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I support the razing of Barbara Rose Collins. Been there too long, time for her to EARN her job.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2195
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i second that motion mallory

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080716/COL27/8 0716045

McGraw writes as if people doubt that there was a history of segregation, which I don't. My point is that tearing something down because 50 years ago there was segregation committed there is foolish. Don't condone the segregation, of course, but don't tear schitt down because of it either.

Keep in mind folks, Barbara-Rose Collins was investigated for discrimination herself. When in Congress, she fired a staffer who was gay because she thought he could give her AIDS. So yes, tear Barbara-Rose Collins down, too!

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 352
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My point is that tearing something down because 50 years ago there was segregation committed there is foolish".

How is that foolish?

I agree with the last paragraph, all but tearing her down. The stadium should be torn down, I didn't hear all of this sympathy when the stadium was rotting away, or when the conservacy failed to reach the financial goal to save the Stadium. No overwhelming letters to Mike Ilich to fix it up, and no solid redevelopment plan So don't give me the failed leadership B.S.

All B.S aside Corktown needs to be let go of these eyesores. The MCS, and the Stadium have to go for that area to thrive, survive, and prosper.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 406
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell that to Matty Maroun.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conservancy open letter:

The Honorable Barbara-Rose Collins
1340 Coleman A. Young Municipal Center
2 Woodward Ave
Detroit, MI 48226

July 16, 2008

Dear Councilwoman Collins:

I read your recent comments about Tiger Stadium and, without equivocation, agree that Tiger Stadium's racist past is a pox upon the site's history and our city. No one should ever wax too nostalgic about Tiger Stadium without also remembering that armed guards once patrolled the concourse during Negro League games, that African-American fans were forced to sit in second-class seating, or that Jackie Robinson had already retired before the Tigers began a slow process of integration.

However by demolishing the ballpark completely, we lose a historic opportunity to create a new and inclusive legacy for Tiger Stadium.

There are so many people who will never visit the Charles Wright Museum of African-American History or read Kevin Boyle's brilliant chronicle of the Ossian Sweet case. However they will come back to Tiger Stadium. A partially preserved park with a heritage center, as envisioned by the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy, will enlighten baseball fans about Tiger Stadium's racial legacy and advance the discussion about race, sports, and society.

Moreover, the Conservancy's plan to use Tiger Stadium's historic field as a venue for Detroit-based youth baseball runs contrary to the ballpark's racial legacy. Total demolition risks throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Why should we deny Detroit's young people a world-class and historic recreation venue because of an ignoble past? We are better off as a city if Tiger Stadium can be re-claimed as a place for everyone.

I worked closely with members of the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy for nearly two years and I have no doubt they are interested in constructive dialogue about Tiger Stadium's racial record and a willingness to tell the park's whole, unvarnished, history. City Council should work with (and push) the Conservancy to fully explore Tiger Stadium's past while also creating new opportunities for Detroit.

Councilwoman Collins, I urge you to help the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy reverse Tiger Stadium's exclusionist legacy. Let us remake this historic ballpark as a place for inclusion. Let us make Tiger Stadium a place to learn that for too long America's pastime was not fully open to all Americans. Let Tiger Stadium become the place where the next Willie Horton or Curtis Granderson learns the game. And let's do this, not only for the benefit of future generations, but also to honor those who unjustly suffered the indignity of racism at Tiger Stadium.

Sincerely,
Jeff T. Wattrick
former Project Manager;
The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 583
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I applaud Jeff Wattrick's letter. I mentioned on another blog that Ms. Collins has a right to her views and I understand her perspective (even though I usually find her off the wall) and Bill McGraw is right...but Wattrick's letter puts all views into focus. I said on another thread that my fondest memories of Tiger Stadium were the warm, summer nights I spent in the lower bleachers with many elderly fans, most of whom happened to be black. It would be a night like tonight (7-16)...We would discuss baseball and I would listen to stories of the old Negro League, Detroit Stars and competition with major league teams. The talk was refreshing and informative. These elderly gentlemen knew the Tigers were among the last teams to acquire a player of color. But they loved the game. That didn't make them any less resentful. But they never were bitter toward me. They simply knew their history...and they would never forget. And neither should we.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6124
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McGraw completely misses the point. This isn't about whether or not Collins, or your or I are right about the history of the stadium. The issue is that she shouldn't be using her own warped view of the history of the stadium (or mine or anyone elses, for that matter) to be apart of her decision-making process. The only thing she's supposed to consider is whether there is a viable plan to save it or not, and nothing more. If there isn't, tear the thing down. If there is, allow the folks to come up with the money.

Again, McGraw and some others miss the point. And, to be absolutely clear, I'd be deriding someone who wanted to save the stadium solely based on their romanticisim of the place.

The problem has nothing to do with the history of Tiger Stadium or the team; the problem has to do with a councilwoman abusing her power by placing politics where it has no place to be played.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Lmich. That and the fact that she has discriminated against gay people and sees nothing wrong with that. She's a hypocrite.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6126
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Her decision-making process is flawed regardless of whether or not she's a hypocrite when it comes to discrimination. That simply adds insult to injury.

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By her way of thinking we should do away with the city council. There is as much of an unsavory history in the council chambers (hell just in the past term let alone the past hundred years) as there is in the old stadium. At least the Tigers got their shit together. What has BRC done lately?

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having spent time recently in New York, I'm struck by the fact that there is absolutley no movement among New Yorkers now or in the past to save even one brick of Yankee Stadium.

Any suggestions why baseball fans there don't seem to care about preserving their historic park?

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An article I read made the point that New Yorkers true pastime is real estate, then baseball. Plus, many oldtimers feel that the current Yankee Stadium, while on the same site is not the one that Ruth built after it was totally renovated in the 70's. Further, that land will be immediately replaced by something new (a park along with new developments, I think) The Tiger Stadium site will become another empty lot for who knows how long.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 423
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There have been some articles about saving something of the last remaining parts from the original Yankee Stadium and there was a recent article in a Spanish-language paper about keeping something of the current stadium, but that's about it.

Many things separate it from Tiger Stadium. First its historical value was demolished in the 70s. The House that Ruth Built was basically leveled then. The new ballpark looks more like the original YS than the current one. If they would have built the new park on the same field as the current one, no one would lament the '70s YS.

Secondly, and most importantly, the neighborhood surrounding Yankee Stadium made a lucrative deal so the new Stadium could be built on park land. Queens tried to get a similar compensation deal for Shea, but they had no luck.

If it wasn't for the OTSC/Corktown group, I doubt very much the current TS preservation plans would have gotten this far.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiger Stadium certainly is not the House that Cobb Built. I would say it as about as different as Yankee Stadium is from when Ruth played.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"" By her logic, they should tear down other buildings in Detroit, like the Guardian, Penobscot, Buhl, First National Bank ...""

dont go putting ideas in their heads...