Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » The Start of an Urban Garden and Neighbourhood Gathering Place » Archive through July 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 431
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hows the garden holding up? not my fault this time with the rain.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 556
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool G.

Reddog its doing great. Out weeding and planting more flowers today. Two new flower beds and a new and improved one. I will have some pics tomorrow. Believe it or not, the garden actually looked like it could use some water.LOL

Reddog289

Post Number: 433
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I,ll look for them pix, Messin in the garden on Wed,i said "i might have to water"

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13306
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh, and you said this time the rain WASN'T your fault, Reddog?! You just as well could've done a rain dance...sometimes even mere under-breath utterances are taken as prayer, yanno!

Cub, did you get confirmations from all the Greening people, or should I attempt a subtle prompting?!

Cub

Post Number: 557
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can attempt a prompting. I have no idea who will be coming. I found out Tuesday that one of the ladies is engaged.

Cub

Post Number: 558
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I received a nice donation in the mail today from California. I cannot remember who told me they were in Cali and used to live in Oak Park (I apologize from the bottom of my heart). But Thank You so very much.

Cub

Post Number: 561
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tire Bed Two of These

(Message edited by cub on July 05, 2008)

Cub

Post Number: 562
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

improved bed

Cub

Post Number: 563
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two of these small raised beds

Cub

Post Number: 572
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget. Greening of Detroit BBQ at The Georgia St. Community Garden on Saturday July 12 2008. It's a potluck so you can bring a dish to pass if you can. 4:00 to 6:00.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, bring the mortar and water and Ill finish the stacks.

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of you might already know about this, but there was an article about urban farming, specifically in Detroit on the BBC's site today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/ame ricas/7495717.stm

Gannon

Post Number: 13372
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We made international news with this already?

Whoa.

Has anyone else even HEARD of this 'Urban Farming' group before this article, though?

The Greening of Detroit folk probably wish they had as efficient a PR firm...they've been doing this way longer than merely three years.

Heck, I know we've been talking about it for over five...I was getting shit from some of y'all for wanting to move Detroit backward, when gasoline was merely two bucks a gallon. In your face, critics, when we're the only city in the nation that is able to feed at least SOME of our people when things get even worse.

Lowell, can I get a witness on this? Gotta get those archives available for offline searching, I'm beginning to just hate Google's infusion here and the old function doesn't work very well any longer.

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their website (Urban Farming) is kind of interesting...although I don't quite understand what stake Atlantic Records has in it...

http://www.urbanfarming.org/

Cub

Post Number: 576
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taja Seville (I loved her song Love is Contagious) was on there label. thats why they have such good PR. All Urban Farming is about is publicity. They wouldn't help me because (directly from her mouth) the city wont sell her land to have her compost local so she is not helping any new gardens in Detroit.

Cub

Post Number: 577
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have it Django.

Gannon

Post Number: 13376
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that info, Cub.

It all gets back to that schmuck in the city planning department...he needs his vision improved a bit. His near-sightedness is hurting our cause...although there are SO many compost heaps popping up all over town that he will WISH he made space for a few centralized facilities that they could actually tax as businesses! (amazing how stupid some people in power can truly be...)

So...she gets all this publicity, a story in the BBC for around the world...and is NOT investing in our city any longer.

While our resident workers for good land use and helping people...like the Capuchins and the Greening folk and the other visionaries who have been sweating this out for three to four times longer than her, struggle in relative obscurity.

Oh well, whatever keeps the world spinning...can't wait for Saturday. My new adorable friend I met at CityFest who is way interested in organic farming cannot make it, though, she's got to work late Saturday.

We just might take a tour out your way on Sunday, Cub, but I'll talk with you about that at the picnic.

Cheers

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the name of the person in charge at City Planning? Is this the correct department that would be in charge of buying land and/or using it for compost? If the rules for growing a garden on empty land state that the land can be bought, why can't Taja buy the land? Is the City afraid of pests? What's the problem?

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 695
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub- Your garden is looking the best ever! Im impressed!

Cub

Post Number: 580
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Pgn.
Gannon, you can come by the garden anytime you want. You dont need my permission. Does she have a friend lol. No seriously....

Gannon

Post Number: 13389
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub,

I will never be selfish, especially with the really decent, solid, and good cityloving people I know...like yourself. Lately have been quite amazed by the frequency of new acquaintances...not boasting, just commenting.

Mashugruskie, welcome. I cannot remember his name, but he's a Kwhyme appointee, as far as I know, and has rebuffed repeated efforts from a Macomb county firm from opening up a facility, because of the perceived increase in smell to an area.

As IF we only have rosy smelling neighborhoods everywhere...heh.

Cub

Post Number: 581
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His name is Diggs I believe Charles Diggs.

Cub

Post Number: 586
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget. Greening of Detroit BBQ at The Georgia St. Community Garden on Saturday July 12 2008. It's a potluck so you can bring a dish to pass if you can. 4:00 to 6:00.

Cub

Post Number: 588
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to say I forget where the garden is located. Provide directions please. We will try to be there. I have some plants to donate, mostly perennial herbs. For the last few years I have sold plants at the West Park Market and have a few (10-15) plants left. I enjoy reading about the garden. Keep up the good work.

Cub

Post Number: 589
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its off of Gratiot and Harper and I94. Georgia St. runs right into the Better Made Potato Chip factory. The Garden is at the corner of Vinton and Georgia.

Here is a link to a map.

http://maps.google.com/maps?so urceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz= 1T4SUNA_enUS267US267&q=9352+ge orgia+st.+detroit,+mi+48213&um =1&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resn um=1&ct=title

(Message edited by cub on July 11, 2008)

Reddog289

Post Number: 449
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lucky for the BBQ, I got stuff i gotta get done, so hopefully it will be rain free. Have Fun.

Cub

Post Number: 591
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol! The radar looks as if it is diminishing. I am hoping for the best.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 669
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try to make this very worthy party for Cub's garden if you can. It is a clear example of what one man can do when you dream BIG!

Remember, if you go, that these were empty lots devoid of life and left abandoned for years. Imagine what it looked like before vs. now, and you will see how it illustrates the growth that can occur if you just get off your ass and do something, like Cub did.