Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :::Tiger Stadium: Memories, Demolition & Saving Part of It::: » An employee of the demo co. is selling TS bricks on ebay « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jazzfan
Username: Jazzfan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This guy should be arrested:
http://cgi.ebay.com/OWN-AN-AUT HENTIC-BRICK-FROM-TIGER-STADIU M-IN-DETROIT_W0QQitemZ17024176 4295QQihZ007QQcategoryZ25136QQ ssPageNam

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And he says he'll donate 10% of the "profits" from the sale of these bricks to the savetigerstadium.org effort???

Richie
Username: Richie

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like the same guard who was stealing brass doorknobs from the Pontiac Asylum and putting them on ebay. Than again the state was so hell bent on destroying that building I don't think anything was taken out so in effect in a twisted way he "saved" a little part of it for the future. I believe these knobs had an insignia molded into them.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*Update* The auction has been taken down.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 323
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are plenty of other "bricks" being sold right now.

Kell31
Username: Kell31

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone seen the "security" team down there. If you had any doubt they would be stealing and selling then you are new to Detroit. Rusted out vans for their security vehicles. They are a joke. They were busting people for taking bricks last time i was down there and now here they are taking and selling them themselves. Kwame should try this for his defense fund.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the security guards told me the guy who got busted - and fired - for listing the TS brick on eBay was a demo guy, not a security guy.
Apparently, the demolition company would rather throw away tens of thousands of dollars then mess with selling bricks and seats and the like. It would be so easy for them to sell bricks for $20 a pop right outside the demo fence. I mean, I go up there every day to document the demolition and there are ALWAYS people. But they'd rather just crush the seats and bricks under the excavators. Seems pretty stupid to me.

Richie
Username: Richie

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only time I saw anything like what is happening here was back in 1996 when while driving through Philadelphia I spotted the SS United States tied up on the waterfront. I was shocked and pleased at the sight and immediately pulled off the freeway for a closer look. Like the TS demo there were throngs of people making a pilgrimage to see the nearly forgotten Atlantic Greyhound which had not been seen by the public since 1969. I could have stayed there for days listening to the stories of people who helped build her, remembered her record breaking maiden voyage or had sailed on her, it was absolutely incredible to see this passion with people just standing there looking through the fence at the gutted rusting hulk one car load after another remembering her not in the decrepid state she was now in but when she was immaculate and the symbol of American pride. I wish I had a tape recorder. The guard who was clearly an opportunist decided to take advantage of the situation but not in a criminal way. He was selling model kits of the ship right there by the gate and had photos taken on the side of the fence. I asked him about the photos and he said every time he made his inspection rounds he would take his camera, snap a few pictures, process them over night and sell them for a buck apiece, he sold a lot of prints. Why he didn't just reprint his negatives I don't know. Anyway I asked him if I could go behind the fence and and take my own pictures he said come back later so I waited until the sun was at the right angle and went back. The guard accepted I think it was sixteen bucks (all the small bills I had on me at the time) which got passed to another guard and I got back for a series of nice bright sunny shots. A year later I again stopped by and the carloads of people were still stopping by with their stories. I was amazed and moved to say the least.

(Message edited by Richie on July 29, 2008)

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ebay has a mechanism for dealing with these scrappers.

Just report the item stolen using the link at the bottom of the page. It's simple. The City (or one of its agencies) owns the Tiger Stadium property. It's been all over the papers that the contract gives the demolition contractor(s) the rights to sell all the bits and pieces (or to choose not to). Obnoxiously, one of the listings up today explicitly said that "the demo company has no plans to sell bricks." Then who the hell are you, sir?

I would encourage people who have the time to hang out on Dyes to take a few minutes to find and shut down these auctions. If enough people complain, they will shut down every auction for Tiger Stadium bricks.

(Message edited by Huggybear on July 29, 2008)

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just went and reported a buncha people, Huggy. Some scumbag had the audacity to try to sell a brick from the Tiger Plaza for $90. Seriously? It's not even an old brick. They were put there in what? 1994 or 1995?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, this is rich. What do you think the chances of me getting a Detroit police officer to do this are?
My response from eBay re: reporting stolen bricks:

Thank you for reporting this item.

If you see an item on eBay that you think may be stolen, please contact
law enforcement immediately. Tell the police officer handling the case
that we will be pleased to cooperate in the investigation.

Please forward this message to the officer and ask him or her to contact
us as follows:

1. Go to:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/con tact_us/_base/index_selection. html

2. Select "Listing Violations," and then click the "Continue" button.
3. Select "Stolen property," select "You are a law enforcement
official," and then click the "Continue" button.
4. Click the "Email us" link.

Thanks again for your report.

eBay Customer Support

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7879
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Supersport?