Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :::Tiger Stadium: Memories, Demolition & Saving Part of It::: » City Council committee votes to tear down the whole stadium « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jazzfan
Username: Jazzfan

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080723/NEW S01/80723051

So much for the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy's efforts, eh? What's the rush here people?

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 671
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure Senator Levin is thrilled that his efforts may be overturned by these clowns. A little embarrassing to tell Congress to forget the 4 million I begged for because Detroit City Council doesn't want the money after all. "It's okay Carl, we all know about them."

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why doesn't the Detroit Economic Development Corp. and the Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee just tell us what their plans are for the property, since they OBVIOUSLY have something up their sleeve. Why else would they be so damn concerned about knocking down the whole thing when it seems that a vast majority of people would like to see a portion of the Stadium saved? I'm beginning to believe more and more that Mr. I wants his hands on that piece the city (not just the stadium property) for his own ventures (i.e. new arena) and he's encouraged (or paid off) the right people to help make that happen. If not Ilitch than somebody else.

Furthermore, Kwame already gave the Conservancy team an August 1st deadline, so why hold this vote a week earlier on July 24th? I know the council has absolutely no respect for or willingness to deal with the mayor on any level, but shouldn't they at least follow a time line that's already been set forth?

Or, even more likely, is this vote utterly useless to begin with and just busy work for an overpaid group of public servants who have no real control over the Stadium's fate?

Jazzfan
Username: Jazzfan

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're voting on in so quickly because their much deserved 5 week vacation starts soon.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet Carl could end some political careers if the clowncil crosses him.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why should council wait? The OTSC was given and still has an Aug 1st deadline, if they raise the money the stadium stays it's that simple.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 409
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any new aerial shots lately, FlyByDon?