Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » :::Tiger Stadium: Memories, Demolition & Saving Part of It::: » Other "souvenirs" missing « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think some of the workers are taking pieces of the park with them. For example, look at how many lightbulbs are missing from this light tower in the background:

http://i215.photobucket.com/al bums/cc280/buildingsofdetroit/ Tiger%20Stadium/Tiger%20Stadiu m%20demolition%2007-27-08/DSC0 3159.jpg

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weren't some of the lightbulbs auctioned off? I know Detroit Athletic Club sells some from the old light towers in the 60s or something.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I can't blame the demo workers for carting off some things if those things are going to crash to the ground or be destroyed during the demo otherwise. Hell, here's some free seats! Not everything could be auctioned off. I'm sure they find interesting items falling from the floors or walls as they rip them apart.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 895
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly, as long as they don't touch between 1st base and 3rd base, it's fine with me. It's between them and the company they work for at this point. Although I don't condone stealing - which is what it is, as the demolition is being paid for in scrap - i have to acknowledge the remaining pieces are more likely be appreciated if the workers are 'acquiring' various items in this manner.
And it is not stealing from the city either - they got what they could out of it, or at least what they thought they could. it's been turned over to the scrappers, er, demo companies. if they want to put each i-beam up on ebay, well, that's their right at this point. (to the best of my knowledge, unless the agreement has a clause that would prevent such a thing.)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't MIND that they're taking them. Lord knows the bulbs would just break when the towers collapse to the ground. But as Scottr said, the scrapper wants everything. He's firing people for taking bricks, even though they're just being ground up. I still don't understand why they're throwing money away. I can't imagine a melted down seat is worth more than what they could get for them outside the death fence. ESPECIALLY so with the bricks.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the life of me, I can't figure out why somebody would pay good money for a friggin' brick or light bulb. I mean, what do you DO with the damn thing once you bring it home? Put it next to the Pepsi can you found outside the train station? Have it bronzed? Hang it on a wall? And in all the craziness over stealing/selling/buying a paver, it's worth pointing out that the plaza dates back to only 1992 when Ilitch built it to replace what had been the players' parking lot. Lotsa history in those pavers...

My favorite comment on what I consider to be the mindless gathering of autographs, sports memorabilia, etc., came from none other than Babe Ruth. Once some star-struck nimrod watched as the Babe talked with heavyweight champ Jack Dempsey. When they were through, the guy asked Babe, "Did you get his autograph?" Babe looked at him like he was nuts. "What do I want with that shit?" he asked.

Exactly.